Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sacrifices=Rewards, What's Yours?

What sacrifice did/do you need to make in order to claim the ultimate reward?

Soda

candy

pizza

bread

Ice Cream

The feeling of not being worthy of success

The fear of failure

The fear of success

The perception of what others might have if they knew you had WLS

What's your reward? How badly do you want it? Are you willing to make the necessary sacrifices to get there? Are you just half-hearted at your attempt? When the road gets too tough do you just give up, or instead when you find yourself getting off course do you pick yourself up and come back fighting harder than ever?

I'm a fighter. I always have been and always will be. I was raised that nothing in life is easy and you have to fight for everything worth having. Boy isn't that the truth! I wasn't handed the skinny jean, I'm not able to eat whatever I want and not worry about it permanently attaching to my stomach. That's ok though because 21 months ago I gave myself the best gift ever, the start of a new healthy beginning. Far from easy are the sacrifices I was and am willing to make every day in order to succeed but because of these sacrifices my ultimate reward has been reclaiming my life at the age of 35, being a healthy mom and wife able to enjoy life to the fullest with no restrictions, no shame and no feelings of inadequacy! Words can't describe how different I am today inside and out then I was 21 months ago.

When I signed up and fully committed myself to this surgery I had my mind made up on what life long "sacrifices" I was wiling to make for the rest of my life. Yes I get off course, yes at times I throw myself a pity party but I always pick myself up and come back fighting harder than ever. Why???? Because I want to keep the ultimate reward that I've worked so hard to achieve.

What are some of the things you need to sacrifice to obtain your ultimate reward?

sacrifices: not being able to pig out on food that I love. However, I can honestly say I don't miss much of it.

I love ice cream but I know it's addictive so I do have to be careful with ice cream. I have bought some skinny cow which Is pretty good. rewards: being healthy, no more diabetes, high blood pressure or cholesterol. being able to walk and shop with my granddaughters for hours. I used to sit in the middle of the mall while they shopped. being able to wear cute clothes. I can now wear skinny jeans and boots.. I also can ride my horse and enjoy every minute of it. life is so much better without the burden of being overweight. I am 68 years old and feel like I got a new life.

@@Sharpie, I know what you mean, me and ice cream we go waaaaay back, this is my biggest craving which oddly enough is what inspired me to write this post. Last night my kiddos begged me to take them for ice cream so I caved and agreed all the while driving there preparing to buy a mini sized one and then as I pulled into the parking lot I said nope, you know summer is around the corner and that swimsuit you want, yeah not worth it, so I dug down deep ordered quickly so I couldn't change my mind and went home and ate a Protein bar instead.

I've been yo=yoing back and forth with 4lbs and today I got on the scale and 2 of those were gone. Fully believe that wouldn't have happened if I would've given in.

I eat a skinny cow ice cream every night when I get home from work:-)

Edited by enjoythetime

I had a long post reply and accidentally deleted it. So I'll just say great topic.

Like Sharpie says, it's about volume for me. I used to eat soooo much food and now I don't. There are times I wish I could just go to town but so far, I stop before I get uncomfortable and I am so grateful to be mobile and in small sizes and that helps to keep me focused. I think I'll have to look at this like an alcoholic....one day at a time.

I can't wait to get to where you ladies are! There are sacrifices i am making, but I am not to the point where I don't miss it. For instance, Cereal is a trigger food. I used to be able to put away a bowl or *two*. Actually, I am sure I still would be able to, but I just don't buy it any more. My kids don't really ask for it. it was always there for me, nights when I didn't want to cook, or nights when I wanted a "snack" or moments where I was too stressed or emotionally drained and wanted a quick sweet-tooth fix. So I just don't buy it. But I still crave burgers or chocolate. Or there are days I think I will go crazy if I eat one. more. almond! But I look at what summer could look like for me for the first time in a dozen years. I don't even know what that looks like, but I really, REALLY want to find out! This helps keep me motivated.

@@Keeper you keep doing what you're doing and you'll be here before you know it. It's awesome that you know what triggers you and that you're keeping them out of sight! I had to do the same thing. I gave up pizza, burgers, soda etc. That doesn't mean at times I don't still don't crave them because I do. I used to go through spells of cheeseburger and fry withdrawl for a week at a time BUT as the weight continually came off, it became easier for me to walk away because I knew the reason was because I wasn't putting that junk in my body and eventually the cravings became less frequent and less powerful and being able to turn down that craving actually gave me more power because for once I was actually in control and not the food and my results showed it.

I still have cravings, I always will and some times it's ok to allow myself a treat like Ice cream it's not something I will ever give up entirely BUT I don't have to I've made substitutions like skinny cows that get me through and then on occasion I will get the real deal. I definitely don't believe in deprivation UNLESS you know it's a trigger that will throw you into a spiral you can't break out of like Cereal, yeah leave it, there's nothing good in there except for the toy at the bottom of the box anyway:-) I'll buy you some at the $1 Tree!!!:-)

Edited by enjoythetime

@@enjoythetime hahha that's great! Thanks for the encouragement!