Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not really sure I'm happy with my gastric sleeve surgery choice

Hi everyone ! I had my surgery tuesday the 10th and went with the sleeve! Discharged on Friday ( thank god) moving forward this whole liquid diet is driving me crazy!!!!! I was under the impression that the liquid diet was just for the first day with the cup then you can do the Protein shake! Or am I wrong? Also the Protein shake I know it's to early to be adding anything in but if anyone has any suggestions on what else I could be using to get through these next two weeks id love it !

Thanks

You should have received very specific instructions from your surgeon/nutritionist about what you can start eating when. If you have any questions about that, you should contact your surgeon's office.

As for regrets, that's pretty normal the first few weeks post-op. The recovery is tough and miserable and it's easy to wonder if you will ever feel "normal" again. I assure you that you will! It will get better day-by-day and week-by-week and you will feel like a real human being again, I promise. Hang in there! Make sure you are doing the right things and getting in all your fluids. It's very hard the first few days, but if you can get in your Protein and fluids, it will really help with your recovery.

I'm confused. Did your surgeon provide you with materials that outlined a PostOp plan? I knew prior to surgery that afterwards my diet would follow phases. Each phase lasted 2 weeks and my plan included sample menus. Phase 1=liquid diet (Protein shakes, yogurt, Soups, etc.), Phase 2=mushies/pureeds, Phase 3=soft foods, Phase 4=Whatever works (protein first)

Phase 1 & 2 can get boring, so finding bariatric friendly recipes can liven things up greatly, like the blog World According to Eggface

Thanks jamie !! So. I did get instructions but some things don't make sense to me as I sit down and read them! For example the medicine cap of fluids ... I thought was just one day and then all clear liquid diet I'm going to blame the drugs for making me loopy and request that I stay home from work as long as possible .... Till I'm back to "normal" I also am trying to figure out what else I can have that is a clear liquid !!! This routine stuff is driving me crazyb

Please call your surgeon and get clarification! They are all different, and we don't know your surgeons specific instructions!

I'm confused. Did your surgeon provide you with materials that outlined a PostOp plan? I knew prior to surgery that afterwards my diet would follow phases. Each phase lasted 2 weeks and my plan included sample menus. Phase 1=liquid diet (Protein shakes, yogurt, Soups, etc.), Phase 2=mushies/pureeds, Phase 3=soft foods, Phase 4=Whatever works (protein first)

Phase 1 & 2 can get boring, so finding bariatric friendly recipes can liven things up greatly, like the blog World According to Eggface

Project me

( I love your picture she's my fav we are Disney ppl over here )

Forgive me while in trying to get the hang of the this whole thing! But yes I got instructions but I feel like nothing makes sense ! I know I was under some heavy medications but tomorrow will be a week since surgery now I was under the impression I was suppose to have Clear liquids only and just Protein shakes ... That's what the paper I have says for stage 1

Then stage 2 yogurts and mushy stuff . But I keep reading things and talking to ppl and hearing different things. So I was curious to what other other people were instructed to do. I sip sip sip on Water all day along with Protein Shakes and so no sugars clear treats but this is getting annoying and I'm starting to feel like maybe it was mistake

Project me

( I love your picture she's my fav we are Disney ppl over here )

Forgive me while in trying to get the hang of the this whole thing! But yes I got instructions but I feel like nothing makes sense ! I know I was under some heavy medications but tomorrow will be a week since surgery now I was under the impression I was suppose to have Clear Liquids only and just Protein Shakes ... That's what the paper I have says for stage 1

Then stage 2 yogurts and mushy stuff . But I keep reading things and talking to ppl and hearing different things. So I was curious to what other other people were instructed to do. I sip sip sip on Water all day along with Protein shakes and so no sugars clear treats but this is getting annoying and I'm starting to feel like maybe it was mistake

Best thing to do is contact your surgeon tomorrow for clarification. As Babbs said we all follow different instructions and don't want to give you advice that may differ from your surgeons plan. This is a small hump and can be solved with a phone call :)

Thanks jamie !! So. I did get instructions but some things don't make sense to me as I sit down and read them! For example the medicine cap of fluids ... I thought was just one day and then all clear liquid diet I'm going to blame the drugs for making me loopy and request that I stay home from work as long as possible .... Till I'm back to "normal" I also am trying to figure out what else I can have that is a clear liquid !!! This routine stuff is driving me crazy

It does seem a little odd that you don't have "full liquids" stage if you are going straight from clears to mushies. I think *most* of us had a full liquids stage when we were allowed to have strained cream Soups, drinkable yogurt, etc. But definitely just do what your surgeon has instructed. Don't get ahead of schedule. Once you do progress to another stage, make sure you take things slowly and be prepared to "roll back" to the previous stage if necessary.

Make a list of your questions, including asking how long each phase is. Typically they count them from the day of surgery. Call the surgeon's office and tell them you have a few dietary questions, and go through the list ready to write as you go!

USUALLY Clear liquids include broth-type Soups (no chunks, no creamy ones) clear juices (like apple but not OJ) and some of those Protein drinks like Isopure (which I hated personally). And yes, most of us had a very short time on clear only.

Ask the doc's office - maybe you'll talk to RN or nutritionist - what phase you should be on given your surgery date. Then be sure you ask how long that stage and subsequent ones should be. My experience is that they're happy to fill you in because it means you're trying to be compliant about your medical advice and weight loss.

Hope it goes well!

Jamie I keep reading about this and I see most people have two weeks of a clear liquid Well just say maybe there a typo on just my paper ... But moving on I have only been doing clear liquids and the suggest clear liquids on my list are broths / Water / sugar Popsicles , and doing this over every day is driving me crazy! Yogurt and Soups as I've heard other ppl say were in there clear liquids has me a tad but confused . But o well. Tomorrow the 17th is one week ( yay me) but the 25th is my next appointment and I'm trying to make sure I don't mess this up I have no Interest in going back to the hospital for any reason

And of course the nutritionist is out on vacation has been since feb 4th but oh well I'll wait wait till she emails me back .. What kind of drinkable Soups are there? Like Tomato ? I Water that down !!!! All suggestions and appreciated honestly I'm scared to eat anything .

During my "full liquids" stage I was allowed any strained cream Soup. Juts had to strain out all the solid bits. My favorites were cream of shrimp and Progresso chicken cheese Enchilada. I bought pretty much every soup my grocery store sold and tried them all!

See, I was not told I can do that!!! I just told chicken broth , beef broth , vegetable broth, nothing about straining cream of anything soups... I'm just sticking to clear liquids. I'm hoping my nurtuonist will call me whenever she decides to come back from vacation