Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*April* Bandits June Challenge

Julie - can we help?

Got my week-end of NIA classes in and yesterday afternoon walked to and from the movies...............not quite 5 hours like Boo, but about 3 after NIA and walking! Wish I could do as well with food! I'm about ready to give up and just maintain - which is what I've been doing for months now. Can't seem to muster up the "strenghth" of cutting back on the calories in order to lose more.

Julie - can we help?

Thanks for the thoughts, Betty. I'll be fine. I've got an appt for some meds on Wed. For me, when I get to such a low point, that's the only thing that gives me the building blocks to dig my way out.

Julie - I'm on "vitamin P" (prozac) and have been for several years.........tried to go off of them about 6 months ago - did not work - am back on and life is pretty good - sometimes I think I need a stronger dose - but I'm pretty good "usually".

Betty, I only walked five hours because I had to! Believe me, I thought about you and gained respect for those long morning walks you so diligently complete. It works the body differently and I actually got sore hips!

Yeah, I totally believe in medication. Thankfully, we live in this modern world and help is available! I read once that obesity (eating disorders) and depression are somehow linked on the same gene. It makes sense. You have been through a tremendous year, Julie! So many things have changed. Not only have you transfigured yourself, but you have changed apartments AND jobs!! You have also undergone quite an ordeal having the TT+ and you are running very fast. Your body is probably shouting "Whoa! What is going on here?? If you don't slow down, I'm gonna make you." But we CAN'T slow down!

These plateaus just make me MAD!!! After everything I have done over the last week/month, I am still hovering just above 160. I do know that one day will bring me a surprise, but then how long will I hover in the upper 50's?? Aren't I greedy? I want what I want and I want it NOW!

Going running tonight! Very far, very fast! Grrrrrr.....

Boo, as I sit STILL at 174, I feel your plateau pain. Have you been following the BodyBug threads on the exercise forum? I know the expense of that thing is a REAL consideration ($399 -- ouch), but I'm going to give it a shot and see if there are small changes I can make throughout the day to burn enough calories to get me over this plateau and to goal. I can commit to logging my food and the device will tell me how much I'm burning, so it should reduce weight loss to a mathematical formula, if you believe the stats that it's 92% accurate. I can deal with 8% inaccuracy -- that will only -- at most -- steal a pound from me every 12th time I'm entitiled to lose one, per the device. I can set and reach goals when they're concrete like that, so I'm giving it a shot. I'll let you know how I fare next week.

If it's not on your radar, once I break my plateau and get to your weight, I could probably be convinced to share (it can't be reprogrammed, but we're probably close enough in stats to share)!

I've got a 4 mile run tonight, probably on the treadmill. I've got a 9 miler on Sunday -- my first "long run" for the marathon training....

Life is a bit hectic at the moment dealing with grandkids............off my regular routine..........didn't get my walk in this morning......maybe later?

Yesterday did not make it to NIA either!!! I'm falling off the wagon.....be back in a couple of days! After dropping one grandaughter at the airport on Thurs morning (she'll head back to Sacramento).........will take off with #1 grandaughter (15 - Natalie) who lives here for a car trip to Seattle - we'll do "damage" for a day, sleep over, then drive home on Friday - bonding time. Next week I'll get back to Alan and Betty's normal routine. I need normal.

Boo and Julie we are almost triplets in our weight.........all just above 170.............(I go between 167 - 172 ish)..............mostly 172 ish! I have a feeling Julie that Boo is "stickish" tho at her height..............we're just too short - in my next life I want to be 5'10 or so.

Triplets! That is cute. At 5'6" and 160-163, I am a curvy woman that can fit into a size 10. Something is off, though, because before I gained I wore a size 12 or so at this weight. Maybe it is the styles, or maybe the muscle and bone density is higher. Now I receive compliments and looks every day, but am not satisfied. It is interesting because while I can dress up and know that I look good, that is just not enough.

WHEN this plateau DOES break and I'm into the 50's and then 40's, a new assessment will be required.

Betty, I'm sorry that I don't have a concrete plan yet for my trip up to the Northwest. I am coming, but have to be flexible to others' schedules. It looks like the end of July to the beginning of August I will be in Seattle :rain:. I would love to meet somewhere.

Hey, where is everybody????

Do I need to start naming names? You must be off having fun in EUROPE or DOWN UNDER or on family trips or something!

Are y'all keeping to the plan? If we mess up, or can't workout, we just start again. I know that it is summer, but check in if you can. The accountability really helps us to keep our focus and reach our goals.

I'll have to check on the BodyBug...never heard of it. And 9 miles is extremely intimidating.

Running tonight.

I got to the gym tonight and ran 4 miles. The AC was out in the gym and it was in the 90s today so talk about sweaty....

Can you guys believe we're where we are and it's just been barely over a year? I can't BELIEVE I can run 4 miles. I can't BELIEVE I truly would rather end (or begin) my day with exercise and that I look forward to it rather than dreading it. Do you think we've broken the old patterns and if we fast-forward 10 years we'll still be in this healthy pattern?

Hey girls:-)

Oh Im bad yesterday we had our company party (1500people)and we of course went to afterparty as well, in much smaller group though:-)I had so much fun we went to a bar and danced all night, the music was great,I came home at 3 a.m. I wasnt drunk I had couple of coctails and lots of Water bud boy Im tired today, I slept only 5hours (Im used to sleep much more like 8-9 and on weekends I could stay whole day in bed) but it was worth it:-)

Also men started to actually notice me and it was really nice:-)

Im plateauing right now too but its my fault cause I drink and we had 2 rceptions last week and I didnt overeat but I had stuff I normally dont eat (read fat or sugary:-)

How is everybody else doing?

Girls Im so happy to " have" you, its so nice to have someone who understands you and knows what are you going through:-)

love Eva

Eva, dancing all night is excellent! You can certainly count that as a workout!!

Julie, it makes me nervous to fast-forward ten years. Maybe the Cinderella in me thinks I'll suddenly poof into a big pumpkin. Exercise has been a huge part of my life for many years, even at my highest weight. Running was NOT part of my routine, though! I am thrilled with the progress I've made. Not only can I run four miles without stopping, I like it and want to run more! So I surely expect to be healthy and working toward new goals.

I miss Kat, too. What is going on? Did anyone ever reach Bluehill? How is Susan? I hope Roberta is doing better. She brought me to this group, so I am extra grateful to her. Amourette is still checking in, which is great. I feel like Eva, thankful for the understanding and support that has developed through our mutual challenges!

I miss Kat, too. What is going on? Did anyone ever reach Bluehill? How is Susan? I hope Roberta is doing better.

I fear, too, that when we start the July thread, we're going to lose more stamina because of the new placement of the monthly threads in their own category. I actually think having a separate section of the forums for monthly groups is great, but I wonder what the impact will be on our group....

I didn't realize that a change was coming. What does everyone want to do?? I am TOTALLY "hooked" on the exercise challenge, and the association I have with all of you. You all inspire me everyday!

Do we open up our thread to being an exercise focussed thread, or a goal setting thread, or...?

I didn't realize that a change was coming. What does everyone want to do?? I am TOTALLY "hooked" on the exercise challenge, and the association I have with all of you. You all inspire me everyday!

Do we open up our thread to being an exercise focussed thread, or a goal setting thread, or...?

It's not changing, per se. It's just that the moderators opened up a new forum category for threads that are designed for those banded within a certain month. The "monthly" support threads were overwhelming the main forum, so they want to group them together. Makes sense -- I just worry that people won't find our July thread if they weren't on the June thread to read our discussion about it. I guess if we're cognizant of the issue, we can make sure to reach out to Bluehill, Kat, Roberta, etc. if we see them on other parts of the forum.

As to the more basic question, I don't know -- do we open the thread up to target non-April bandsters? Do we make it an "issues for the final stretch thread?" Meaning, we'd be targeting those who have lost a large percentage of what they want to lose but are still plugging away at the rest? Or do we stay April? We could build in a monthly exercise challenge, but leave the thread on the main forum, as the thread would be to discuss all issues for those within the "zone" of goal.

I need the exercise challenge. I need to be accountable to someone for getting to the gym most days. Beyond that, I'm open.

Ideas?

Julie, I really like the idea of having a thread devoted to the "final stretch" for those of us that have been banded over a year and are re-evaluating our goals. At the time of banding, having a BMI under 26 seemed like an impossible feat. Now my goals have changed and are intensified.

There are challenges that I would like to address in a final stretch to a new life thread. In addition to setting challenges and having regular discussions regarding exercise, plateaus and eating habits, etc., I would like to share ideas on dealing with emotional triggers, self-image issues, and ANYTHING that we encounter along the way. If this is a non-exclusive thread, then we can thrive with loads of ideas and support.

If our thread has ONE title it will be easier to find. We don't need to change it each month because we can just change our tickers!

Julie, you are the most inspirational person on this forum and have set a great example to all. You are eloquent (per Betty's description), poised, and completely supportive of all. I vote that this be your thread. We need something for the long term that is constant and that can be re-visited easily. I think that you are the person to lead the way.

I like to be supportive and to also step up the challenge to reach new heights. Between Betty, Dawn, Eva, and myself (and anyone else in our April group), we can cover for you during future PS or difficult cases you are covering. But I really think it should come back to you.

What does everyone think?

(Betty, it looks like I will be in Portland on August 5th. Or we can meet another day in Seattle or Centralia?)