Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sad/Depressed after Gastric Plication Weight Loss Surgery

I had the gastric banding surgery with the plication about a year and two months ago. I have already lost alot of weight. I hear a lot of stories about people getting this surgery, and actually feeling better. I actually feel a lot sadder and more dragged down. I guess I can't use food as a coping resource anymore and that bothers me. I really used that as a trigger for stress. I believe I am just losing to much weight to fast.. Anyone out there know of what I'm talking about? I just feel run down and lethargic all the time.

Sounds to me like you may want to talk to a professional about your feelings as related to the food. I'm suggesting this as I see a therapist for my food issues. I've lost a ton of weight and I want to make sure it stays off and the best way I cn think of achieving this is to figure out the root causes of my obesity in order to have coping mechanisms in place when I need them.

Just because I have been successful losing the weight, doesn't mean I can't sabotage myself. I'm pretty sure that the therapy will help me to not do this.

If you are depressed over your situation, ask you surgeon if he/she can recommend someone.

Have you had blood work completed to make sure you are getting all the right nutrients? The lethargic feeling could be the result of nutrient deficiencies as well. This could be a combination of your mourning food to cope and maybe not getting proper nutrition.

I would certainly talk to your physician as to next steps.

Good luck, I hope you can get the right help and start feeling better soon.

How much have you lost in that time? I think that when we feel poorly it is easy to be thinking that way, but in truth, it is great to lose alot that first year as it is so much harder later.

Are you staying hydrated? I notice now post sleeve that I can get a little "
blue" feeling and realize I am under hydrated or too low carbs or something.. and that i need fuel.

I like the blood work suggestions because low vit b, low Iron etc can make you feel awful.

If it really is emotional, lack of stress relief - although i think counseling does help, I find DOING is more helpful. Join a club, do volunteer work, take up hiking, join a gym, find friends to walk dogs with, I don't know... just becoming more outward facing and less food focused I think helps. Good luck!

I assume it's to get ideas on what to eat and buy. I watched them before surgery because I wanted to see what the people who were losing weight were eating, and to get an idea of what the "diet" of a WlS patient looked like. I don't watch them any more.

I agree with comments about nutrition. Not getting enough Protein, Vitamins, minerals etc. can cause lethargy. And the biggy is dehydration. Not having enough fluids can cause lethargy, lack of energy and make you feel terrible.

Thanks this is helpful. Only one week post op Plication lapband surgery. Just looking to see how people are dealing with the feeling of air in the abdomen.

Thanks this is helpful. Only one week post op Plication lapband surgery. Just looking to see how people are dealing with the feeling of air in the abdomen.

Walk it off. I'm not sure why lapband w/ plication is gaining popularity. Seems like overkill to me.