Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I'm new here from IL. For weeks now I've been researching weight loss options and have fell in love with the lap-band. Mainly becausing I want more children in the future and this allows that. Lately though I've been reading about the Gastric Y (I think that's what it's called) and have wondered about it also. I weigh 345 lbs and want to be around 170 one day. I would appreciate some suggestions on which would be good for the amount of weight loss I need and want.

Also I'm in the process of starting my requirements of 6 month visits with my PCP or 3 months with a supervised hospital program. Does anyone have any experiences they could share regarding the hospital programs that are offered?

Thanks..

Through a total lifestyle change, and the band, I was able to lose from 297lbs down to 114. It can be done, and in the same sort of time frame as someone who has had a gastric bypass (there are a few different types, RNY and DS I think)

From what I understand you can have children after a gastric bypass, just like the band. There are pluses and minuses to both surgeries, and really it just comes down to what is the best fit for you, and your lifestyle (or the lifestyle you think you can live with)

Obesity Help (ObesityHelp - Gastric Bypass, LAP-BAND® System, DS and Other Surgical and Non-Surgical Weight Loss Options.) is a great place to search out the other surgery types.

I live in Oz, so I am of no help at all on the supervised diet thing, sorry!

Good luck.

I got my surgery date! I get banded on 6-18-07 and I'm still wondering if I should go ahead with the bypass :help:

I got my surgery date! I get banded on 6-18-07 and I'm still wondering if I should go ahead with the bypass :help:

Tracy, I had that same problem, but with a lot of soul searching, research, and praying, I finally decided that the band was for me. It is a very personal decision. I actually had to list all of the pros and cons for both operations to make my decision easier. In the end, I know I have made the right choice and look forward to my new life! Good luck on your decision making!! Let us know what you decide!

Peace Out!

T~:hippie:

Tracy, I had that same problem, but with a lot of soul searching, research, and praying, I finally decided that the band was for me. It is a very personal decision. I actually had to list all of the pros and cons for both operations to make my decision easier. In the end, I know I have made the right choice and look forward to my new life! Good luck on your decision making!! Let us know what you decide!

Peace Out!

T~:hippie:

I've thought about it and got more input from posters here and I have decided to stick with the band! ;) Thanks!

Tracy, I have had a difficult time deciding also. I know with the gastric bypass I could lose all my weight pretty quickly, but also realized I would malabsorption problems the rest of my life. But it seemed ok if I lost all the weight. I know with the lapband the wt. loss is much slower, but hopefully that will help with not having as much lose skin. I've researched, attended meetings, talked to people that have had both and it's been about three months but I finally came to a decision that I think is right for me. From my past experience I know I can lose weight, but I've never been able to keep it off. I am going to have the lap band because I feel that is my best option to keep the weight off after I've lost it. I also have to go thru 6 mos. of Dr. supervised dieting and all the testing and evaluations. I am in month three, so I still have a ways to go before I can even submit to my Insurance company for approval. Luckily where I am going is Team Bariatrics in Goshen, IN and they have programs set up for everything that is needed. Just as a FYI to anyone in Indiana, most Insurance companies now require the 6 mos. Dr. supervised dieting. Anyways, just keep doing your research and at some point you'll know what is best for you. Take care & best of luck to you.

savvy, I am also from IN. I am looking at Lutheran Health services in Fort Wayne. My first consultation is June 7, the seminar. After reading threads here and obesityhelp.com, I feel like I am very imformed, but like all of you guys, I keep chaning my mind, RNY, LAP, wich is better....They both sound painfull hahaha, but the life effects are what I am hoping for. I want to get healthy.

I have had 3 c-sections do you know of anyone having either surgery after c-sections. My last one was 4 years ago and I had a lot of scar tissue during that one, not sure if this will make one surgery more difficult than another!

Just sounding off, thanks for listening!;)

savvy, I am also from IN. I am looking at Lutheran Health services in Fort Wayne. My first consultation is June 7, the seminar. After reading threads here and obesityhelp.com, I feel like I am very imformed, but like all of you guys, I keep chaning my mind, RNY, LAP, wich is better....They both sound painfull hahaha, but the life effects are what I am hoping for. I want to get healthy.

I have had 3 c-sections do you know of anyone having either surgery after c-sections. My last one was 4 years ago and I had a lot of scar tissue during that one, not sure if this will make one surgery more difficult than another!

Just sounding off, thanks for listening!:)

I have had 2 c-sections and they don't exect any problems with me. But thats a good question, you have me wondering :)

Chickie,

Thanks for the advice!!! I'm looking into the pregnancy thing and how I could be affected by either. I'm sure that will help me make my decision.

If you read the long term studies by O'Brien weight loss is virtually the same when comparing bypass vs band. But, the band is minor surgery, totally reversible and carries few if any complications. Furthermore, if you look at weight loss for bypass vs band charted out on a line graph you'll see a slight weight gain for bypass pts in the long term...kind of like a rebound. You don't see this same curve for band patients b/c in bypass the pouch can stretch with the band it can continue to be adjusted.

For me its a no brainer. My surgeon has ceased bypass altogether considering it somewhat barbaric considering the strong results of the band.

I have had 2 c-sections and was banded six months ago with no problems. The scar tissue should not be an issue since the band surgery is done higher up, above the uterus. My port is about an inch or so up and to the left of my belly button and that's as far down as they go.

Good luck to both of you! :confused:

<snip>You don't see this same curve for band patients b/c in bypass the pouch can stretch with the band it can continue to be adjusted. <snip>

I'd like to point out that a banded pouch can stretch, just like a bypasses pouch, and weight can be regained.

I'd like to point out that a banded pouch can stretch, just like a bypasses pouch, and weight can be regained.

Good point Chickie!

I'm only a newbie (banded 5/29) here but I've read every study I could get my hands on and discussed them with my doctor. While your point is certainly valid, I'm referring to study outcomes that I've seen comparing the two methods over multiyear spans. You can clearly see a rebound weight gain in the bypass line graph vs lap band pts. And, although no infinite adjustments, one advantage of the band is that it can be adjusted long term vs the bypass.

Just pointing out another reason to look favorably on the band vs bypass.

Be aware, that if your pouch does stretch (and it will to an extent) no amount of fills / unfills will fix it.

The band being adjustable will not fix a stretched pouch, erosion, dilated esophagus, and most slips.

Don't get me wrong, the band is fantastic, and I would not be without mine, but every surgery has it's downsides. Nothing is perfect.

Be aware, that if your pouch does stretch (and it will to an extent) no amount of fills / unfills will fix it.

The band being adjustable will not fix a stretched pouch, erosion, dilated esophagus, and most slips.

Don't get me wrong, the band is fantastic, and I would not be without mine, but every surgery has it's downsides. Nothing is perfect.

Chickie -- I understand totally. Why then do you see the pronounced rebound weight gains in gastric bypass patients (group at large) but not in lap band patients over a 5 year span?

My surgeon also explained to me (perhaps I misunderstood) that one option in some cases of pouch dilation for gastric bypass patients is to THEN apply a band.

I'm not discounting your points at all and I don't want to appear to be a newcomer with all the answers. I've enjoyed reading your views on life with the band and think we are of similar mind. Particularly with regard to slow weight loss. My point to the original poster is that the studies clearly show a rebound weight gain long-term (3-5 years) that band patients don't show -- another plus in the band catagory. According to my surgeon one distinct reason for this is the adjustability of the band. Not that it will cure a dilated pouch from "abuse".

With regard to slippage and erosion, I wonder how many folks out there have their band embricated to hold it in place and further reduce the chance for slippage and erosion? I'll post that as a seperate question.