Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like Ryan :(

Just finished reading all Ryan's posts about pre-surgery testing results. I was contacted by both my surgeon and my PCP regarding my tests today and am discouraged too. They've detected low Iron levels (what's that from?). Got a prescription for that. There's some kind of "blip" or something in my EKG - I'm headed to a cardiologist Monday. And lastly, some oddball thing showed up on my chest x-ray (never smoked). So I'm up for a cat scan for that on Thursday. Hoping that's just a film problem as someone suggested. I do agree that it's a good thing my surgeon is thorough too but it stinks to get old. These are just the kinds of problems I was hoping to cut off at the pass - guess I took a little too long. I am more than ready for my Oct. 28 scheduled surgery and hope it's not delayed. I am so looking forward to having an improved body and better health.

Marie - when were you in RMNP hiking? We live not far from there.

Denise, Sorry to hear of all of the bumps in the road. Hang in there and don't give up. This too shall pass. Just keep your eyes on the goal and remember you have alot of people here you can come and share your journey with.

Low Iron is usually no big deal as far as I know. I think it is just from not getting enough Iron in your diet. And as far as the rest of it is concerned, you really don't know yet if you have any problems or not. I know it is so easy to get discouraged, but I'm hoping it all just turns out to be a bump in the road like Lisa said. Hang in there. And you can always come here for support.

Nancy

Well Denise, I guess it's appropriate (and maybe a little silly) to say that I know just how you feel.

You'll do just fine. You'll make it through. They just want to be sure that you'll come through surgery fine. Overweight people have systems a little more stressed than others (or so the conventional wisdom goes). And you can use these tests to ground you, to galvanize you for the battle ahead. If you've been reading a lot here, you know it is a battle, and we are lucky enough to be in contact with these successful Lap Band Warriors.

Those tests are glimpses into the future, into the land of might have been. They show our lives as they could be if we don't get this surgery and take charge of our disease. They paint a picture of beautiful spirits crushed under growing folds of fat, a sad and dark tomorrow of food, fear and self loathing. They show us the end of the road, should we not take the fork. Failure is not an option. Jump through their hoops, smile all the while. Your day of change is fast approaching. Your future looks brighter with each test. Let 'em test. You can do it.

I must admit, some of the things they discovered recently have been, well, surprising.

I'm starting to think there is a political side to this thing too. Every complication, every death, that can be linked to WLS is magnified beyond belief in the news media.

We had a local doctor who was virtually forced out of the area because an early patient died. He was a caring man, who understood our plight and only wanted to help. But he made a great scapegoat.

Look at us! Look at all of us awaiting something to help us! Look at our BMI! We have been diagnosed with Morbid Obesity! Morbid. From the Latin, meaning death. Morbid conditions kill people. I hate to sound callous, but if I'm dying anyway, how terrible is it for me to take a chance?

I want to ask each physician this question: If your car were hanging over a bridge rail with a rocky river hundreds of feet below...........and you could feel it give a little every few moments..............and you knew it was a deserted road, little chance of help..........would you put it in reverse and take the risk of plummeting to your death now...........or would you just wait, heading toward a gradual, but certain doom?

I'll try reverse. And you can too.

You can do this.............You can do this................You can do this.........You can.

Denise, you get every test done that your dr. requires and then have the peace of mind knowing that you're in GREAT (just a little overweight) SHAPE. Then you get your band and REALLY get healthy! Be thankful that you have a thorough surgeon and insurance to help cover the expenses. We were in RMNP and Estes Park 10-1 thru 10-8. I cried when we had to leave. How far are you from the mountains? By spring, you'll be zipping up and down those hiking trails! That is truly God's country! A few short months ago I never imagined that my life would take such a positive turn. I can't wait to hear you tell about your banding NSVs!

Whippledaddy/Ryan, I think every bandster -- new, experienced, or wannabe -- should read your wonderful post. The band has allowed so many to turn our lives around: not only our bodies, but our hearts and souls as well. Even before we get the band, just knowing that we're beginning a journey toward a better life, and just knowing that there is hope, can make such a difference.

Denise, hang in there. You're just a little over a week away, and while the time might seem to drag (especially while you're waiting for all those tests), before you know it, you'll be banded. I agree that it's a good thing your surgeon is so thorough. Among other things, he's probably keeping a close watch on your heart to make sure you won't have an adverse reaction to the anesthesia. Let us know your test results -- we're all rooting for you!

Thank you all for your support. I'm sorry to whine. Ryan you are a wonderful wordsmith. I could feel myself in that car! Scary. And I believe you are probably right about the politics of it. This procedure gives new hope to a lot of people and it's a good thing to keep the statistics as good as they can be.

I'm just hanging in there. One test is tomorrow, so I'll have one more to go and I hopefully will be on my way to a better body and better health. Hoping this is just a bump in the road. I will let you know how things go and appreciate all the information and pats on the back I get here.

Marie,

I live about 45 mins. from Estes Park, an hour or so from the park itself. We go up there fairly frequently, especially this time of year when the elk are bugling. What areas did you hike in? I especially love to go up to Bear Lake. And yes it is part of my reason to do the surgery to be able to enjoy the wonderful opportunities for hiking there. If you plan another trip next year maybe we could do a hike together with our improved bodies!

Oh, Denise, that would be a blast! I plan on being in much better shape by next fall so we can try some harder ones! We drove Trail Ridge Rd. 2 days before it closed for winter. We did Bear Lake (by shuttle drop off)-Nymph Lake, Dream Lake, (Emerald Lake path was closed), Lake Haiyaha (hiked thru icy trails and over large boulders). Then Alberta Falls, Mills Lake, Cascade Falls, Copeland Falls, Calypso Cascades, and Ouzel Falls (hiked thru hrs. of gentle rain, then huge snow flakes - beautiful!). Can you tell I love Water falls? This is from a person who lives at sea level, climbing to highest pt. of 10,500! Huffing and puffing, but very, very happy! And the elk! Amazing! Huge! Beautiful! I fed one grass out of my hand in the downtown park. She had the softest, gentlest muzzle - just like a horse. The park ranger said they think Estes Park Golf Course is their salad bar. Sure, enough, there were at least 50 of them munching out. But I didn't bother the wild ones in RMNP.

Your surgery is next Wednesday! Less than a week away, girl! You'll be hiking down those trails in no time to find natural things to decorate your house for this Christmas.

Hang in there Denise. Some people have found serious health problems they didn't know about when preparing to be banded and averted future tragedy. You are on the way to banding and will be there before you know it. ;)

That's the way I have to look at this as a little curve in the road to better things. It's hard waiting to hear what the results are though. I should consider myself lucky in a lot of ways. My husband has serious cardiomyopathy - weakening/failure of the heart muscle - and has to go for a shock treatment to his heart tomorrow. So at this point I am more concerned for him than what's going on with me. Part of my motivation for getting the surgery is to be as healthy as I could for him as well. He loves hiking in the mountains and so far has still been able to do it and I want to make sure I can go with him for as long as he can go.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip Marie. Let me know when you're coming back!

Denise, I so understand what you're saying! My husband overcame years of kidney failure, open heart surgery, and a kidney transplant. For so long, he did good just putting one foot in front of the other. That's why I cried when I was standing in RMNP, high up on a mountaintop. I was so very grateful that both of us have been able to regain our health.

Sending you (((hugs))) and prayers that you and your husband will regain your health and be able to hike those mountains together. That's something that has no price tag and can't be truly appreciated until you almost lose it.

Denise, only 6 short days til your new beginning, have you made your list and checked it twice? Have you started buying what you'll need post op? You probably won't feeling going to the grocery store for a few days after banding, so this is your preparation week. I think getting things all ready the week before really helped time fly.

By christmas you're gonna feel like a million bucks... and here's hoping there's some smaller clothes under the tree!