Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Vitamin D level

Just got my pre-op blood work back and was told I had to start a prescription Vitamin D along with my daily multi Vitamin. (Score was 19.3)

Anyone else have this come up?

Yes, at first it freaked me out thinking it might stop me from being approved for surgery, but I was overreacting - as usual, lol -- Apparently it is pretty common. My doctor had me start taking 5000mg/units/whatever of Vit D a day and they'll check it on down the road. I think my score was 27, so my Vit D isn't prescrip, just OTC --

Edited by della street

I haven't been taking one. My surgeons office told me to start Centrum or equiv, today with the scrip Vitamin D once a week as well.

@@della street Thanks! That is what I was hoping. Good to hear.

@@mykdzmom You're more than welcome - my doc has me on multi vit, B-complex, Vit D, Vit C and Calcium - I'm very "vitamized" these days, lol -- but good practice for after surgery I guess -- which is next week - YIKES! ;O)

I take prescription Vitamin d 50,000iu too and have for a while now. It shouldn't delay anything to do with your surgery. My levels were under 20 also before surgery. It really surprised me when they called to tell me. Now it is just old News and part of my regular medicine routine! Just remember to take it once a week and you will be fine! Hang in there.

Yes!...my PCP diagnosed me with low Vitamin D back in October. He said it was common in my area and that he has been reporting it to the CDC. He prescribed me Vitamin D supplements and he will re-check next month.

actually i use the adult Centrum chewables which 2 chewables, is 200% for all including Iron. which is what my nutritionist wants patients to take. So some Centrum products do meet requirements easily.

I looked up the requirements online and Centrum meets or exceeds them in every aspect.

100% of

Thiamin

Riboflavin

Niacin

B6

Panthothenic acid

11%calcium ( i take calcium chews daily) with Vitamin k

Iron

Phosphorus 5%

Iodine

Zinc

Copper

50%manganese

17%chromium

Molybdenum 27%

and low Vitamin d is very common in the northeast due to lack of sunlight exposure year round.

Edited by Stevehud

@ della street I am so excited for you!!!! Keep me posted :)

@@Rocky1 thanks for the heads up on the ASMBS guidelines. I will talk with my surgeon about this as I get closer to surgery. I am also going to check out myself on the web.

@@Luvin_Life125 & Sleeve_Sistah85 glad to know I am not the only one and life goes on. @@Stevehud thanks for the info and I think I will try the chewable version too. :)

For the 1st time in my life, my vit d was low also. Which struck me as odd, I had massive bloodwork done May 2013, and all my numbers were good. I had a baby Dec 24, 2013..everything seemed to tank. I take 50,000, yes fifty THOUSAND, units of vit d, twice a week. It will be interesting to see what my final preop labs are.

I'm pre-op, but I always have low vit. D levels. I supplement with 2,000 IU daily, per doc's orders, and I've found that it makes a huge difference in my mood.

My pcp told me that most people's vit-d levels are low and even lower in the winter month due to lack of sun...my last my check it was like 15 so I just take a supplement but it didn't stop my surgery