Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Vitamin D level

Congratulations on the little one :) ! I am hoping mine will improve before surgery as well. I am glad to hear that others say it did not prevent them from having surgery. This is great news.

For the 1st time in my life, my vit d was low also. Which struck me as odd, I had massive bloodwork done May 2013, and all my numbers were good. I had a baby Dec 24, 2013..everything seemed to tank. I take 50,000, yes fifty THOUSAND, units of vit d, twice a week. It will be interesting to see what my final preop labs are.

It is interesting that you mention this. My surgeons office mentioned this as well as joint aches that could be associated with low Vitamin D. She asked if I was feeling tired, but honestly I couldn't say any more tired than normal..lol...

I'm pre-op, but I always have low vit. D levels. I supplement with 2,000 IU daily, per doc's orders, and I've found that it makes a huge difference in my mood.

llali82, wow that was low. I am glad it didn't stop your surgery. I just picked mine up and first one down.

My pcp told me that most people's vit-d levels are low and even lower in the winter month due to lack of sun...my last my check it was like 15 so I just take a supplement but it didn't stop my surgery

Rocky1 - Does your Vitamin have the 3000 IU of Vit D or do you take your vitamin plus extra Vit D?

The ASMBS guidelines for post op gastric sleeve is 3000 IU of Vit D which is significantly higher than the RDA.

I live in southern VA, love to be in the sun, and I'm still extremely D deficient. My doctor put me on some regiment rigmarole that helps your body absorb the vitD pills more efficiently.

I had surgery despite my pretty major issue and small doing great 20 months out. Still deficient, but much much better than before.

I live in southern VA, love to be in the sun, and I'm still extremely D deficient. My doctor put me on some regiment rigmarole that helps your body absorb the vitD pills more efficiently.

I had surgery despite my pretty major issue and small doing great 20 months out. Still deficient, but much much better than before.

Glad to hear it hasn't hindered your success! I am in AL and also love the sun and being outside so I guess some of us are just prone to be Vit d deficient. Wow! 20 months out :) so happy for you. I feel like my day will never come. Reminds me of being pregnant. ..lol

@ Rocky1 thanks for the detail. Looks like you have a solid plan in place. Good luck on your journey!

Yep. I was Vitamin D deficient so I take a weekly vit. d supplement.

Yep. I was Vitamin d deficient so I take a weekly vit. d supplement.

I just visited your blog. It is so amazing! It has such a real feel and you can tell it comes from the heart. I plan to read thru chronologically when I get home tonight! Can't wait :)

I just visited your blog. It is so amazing! It has such a real feel and you can tell it comes from the heart. I plan to read thru chronologically when I get home tonight! Can't wait :)

Thank you for reading! I try to be as honest as possible! :-)

I also have low Vitamin D levels that my neurologist discovered a year and a half ago. My level showed me at a 10! Normal I believe is over 35. This is very common in most Americans to not have the proper vitamin d level. I take 5,000 IUs everyday over the counter. I just have my levels check last week and it's finally up to 55 after a year and half of taking that much. Vitamin d also helps neurological health. Everyone should take a supplement because a one a day doesn't have enough. If you are pre-op I would check with your surgeon about continuing to take a Multivitamin vitamin E slows down healing time and should be discontinued at least 10 days prior to surgery. But double check with what your doctor recommends!

Good luck everyone!

I also have low Vitamin D levels that my neurologist discovered a year and a half ago. My level showed me at a 10! Normal I believe is over 35. This is very common in most Americans to not have the proper vitamin d level. I take 5,000 IUs everyday over the counter. I just have my levels check last week and it's finally up to 55 after a year and half of taking that much. Vitamin d also helps neurological health. Everyone should take a supplement because a one a day doesn't have enough. If you are pre-op I would check with your surgeon about continuing to take a multivitamin vitamin E slows down healing time and should be discontinued at least 10 days prior to surgery. But double check with what your doctor recommends!

Good luck everyone!

Sounds like your numbers are great now. Thanks for that heads up!

I finally got a copy of my blood work. My vit d is at 5... my pcp nor surgeon has told me to do anything... im going to start taking my multi & other vits tomorrow.

I'm required daily VIT d. I take two chocolate chews from CVS EACH IS 1000 iu. In addition to my MULTI which has 800 iu and my Calcium which has 1000 iu. So it's important to have a stand alone VIT d supplement.

actually i use the adult Centrum chewables which 2 chewables, is 200% for all including Iron. which is what my nutritionist wants patients to take. So some centrum products do meet requirements easily.

I looked up the requirements online and Centrum meets or exceeds them in every aspect.

100% of

Thiamin

Riboflavin

Niacin

B6

Panthothenic acid

11%calcium ( i take calcium chews daily) with Vitamin k

Iron

Phosphorus 5%

Iodine

Zinc

Copper

50%manganese

17%chromium

Molybdenum 27%

and low vitamin d is very common in the northeast due to lack of sunlight exposure year round.

Where did you get your Vitamins? I was looking for centrum chewables with iron and could not find them..