Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation...and heartburn.. at 7 weeks?

I am having a problem with Constipation. I am at 7 weeks and have had this problem for about the last three. Can't figure out yet if it is caused by Gummy Vitamins (double dose) but they don't have Iron so probably not from them. Also taking Calcium Citrate every day so that could be the cause, according to my GP. Drinking my Water so I don't think that is the problem. I am trying to take Meta Mucil every day and avoid Colace but I just can't seem to get regular. Also, heartburn is worse than ever. I take Omeprazole every morning but now have to take Zantac at night -- per the advice of my GP. Didn't expect these problems. Expected nausea.. but never have that!

Why are you trying to avoid colace? I was put on it for the forst 30 days post op. Had my first BM 3 days after I was discharged from the hospital and have been regular ever since.

How many mgs of omeprazole are you taking? Once I hit 6 weeks and was back on regular food I need to increase mine to 40mg. I also had to change when I took it. I tended to get heartburn in the evenings so taking it around 2-3 ish solved my problems. No more acid pain.

@@sarina55 Drink the "smooth move"'tea before you go to bed and it should work beautifully for you in the morning. It's organic.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear I am not the only one with the heartburn problem. I may ask about increasing my dosage of Omeprazole.. I am taking a pretty low dose I think. I was avoiding both Smooth Move and colace but it is clear that that is not working for me. Will start tonight. We shall see. Thanks Elode and BLERDgirl.

I'm six weeks out this coming Monday. Same bathroom problems! It's terrible! I did Smooth Move tea last 2 times. Started 1 Colace a day (just this evening). Do you think it's cause we eat the Protein first and have limited room for veggie and fruit?

This is the third weekend I've had this problem.

babe 58 I am not sure.. i had this problem before surgery but was able to take metamucil caplets with my a.m. and p.m. pills and Vitamins.. but I don't seem to tolerate them very well anymore and we have to take all of these Vitamins and calcium.. my nutritionist seems to believe it is the Calcium and the casein in the Protein drinks that I am drinking.. she told me to get this vegan Protein Drink which i did but i hate it.. so wasted money on that.. colace and Smooth Move work but they cause some cramping and nausea for me so I try to avoid them.. going the Fiber route.. but sometimes can't get that down either.. still struggling with this..

I'm 8 weeks out and have had those problems since the beginning. I take milk of magnesia everyday about a half dose and go every other day usually. I take 40 mg of protonix twice a day and I still have reflux 2 x wk so I now will take tums before bed as well. You will figure it out. You probably need to increase you heartburn meds and take some other stool softener. Happy pooping!!

I have exactly the same problems. My heartburn is an issue and i take Omeprazole every morning . I just hope this wont stay like this for the rest of my life.\

Bathroom too is a nightmare, i only for every 3 to 4 days and i know i am gonna suffer. i order a few Fiber supplements as i read on this message board so lets see if they will help.

I am really not enjoying this surgery.

Crazy heartburn. I have to take something almost every night, when its at its worse.

I have been struggling with some Constipation lately so I add some clear fiber crystals to my Water and that has been a huge help.

I've been fine since I increased my omeprazole from 20 mg to 40. My doctor says it should balance out eventually but currently I just make sure to stay ahead of it. I figured out what time of day it usually hits and take my meds accordingly. I was having the most trouble in the evenings so I take my pill around 2 -3 ish.

As for Constipation, I think eating whole foods can help that. Pre-op I was super regular. I went 2 -3 times a day. Now I go at least once a day, sometimes more. Once I got past the all liquid phase I started incorporating fresh veg and high fiber foods back into my diet.

I can't speak to the heartburn issue but the Constipation, oh yeah. I was so excited when I went 4 days after surgery thought I would be ok. But alas I was not. :(

I drink Decaf tea every night with Miralax and have no problems with that anymore. I was doing a full dose every night but my NP said at my last check in that I could do 1/2 dose, but I do not want to end up like I was so I do one full dose and then the next night one half dose.

I hope you find some relief soon!!!

I'd welcome some Constipation at this point. 19 days post op and still having horrifying diarrhea. Heartburn only flares when I'm becoming dehydrated.

6 weeks out. Recently I went 8 days without a bowel movement. My doctor said it was ok take Miralax everyday. Day 3 now and still not regular! Frustrating!

Not a fan of the Smooth Move tea.

Regarding your experiences of heartburn - I have had that in the past and is why I had a hernia op included due to reflux. Recently went to the Dr and complained of crushing pain in my chest just below the rib cage (also had GallBladder out) and he put this down to heartburn however that was no my previous experience of heart burn and this occurs at all different times necessarily associated with food,