Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saving protein drinks

Post op, since our pouches can't really handle a whole supplement shake, can we make a whole one, stick it in the fridge and "pick at it" through out the day? Are there some brands that mix and sit better than others? Hubby thought maybe a premixed one?

Edited by MamaTo3inNH

@@MamaTo3inNH Yes pre-mix is always in my fridge. I like the Premier Protein in chocolate myself. I also mix a scoop on PB Cookie Syntrax Protein with it. That gives you 53 grams of protein per drink and it holds up great.

Edited by Elode

I make a large Protein smoothie every morning, stick it in the fridge at work and drink it in between afternoon appointments. I use Premier mixed with milk (too sweet and thick for me to drink straight), Muscle Milk powder, Syntrax nectar and Matrix powders, Spirutein, Raw Fit, Raw Protein, and BSN Syntha6 powders. I use a 24oz Blender Bottle and they all mix well. Sometimes I add a pureed banana or peaches or berries. Sometimes I use Torani syrups to vary the flavors. I also add a big scoop of insoluble Fiber that I need for regular BM's. Since its insoluble, it settles out and that's where the Blender Bottle comes in handy. I just shake in between drinks to resuspend the Fiber. Been doing this every day for over a year.

Every once in awhile I get too busy to even drink it, so I just leave it in the fridge for the next day. It's just the same. Maybe a little "thicker" because the fiber supplement absorbs the liquid and swells up.

Edited by Kindle

I'm a Premier Protein fan myself and they have stored fine in the fridge. Just shake them up a little before drinking. I like mine a little thicker, so I toss in a scoop of powdered chocolate Protein as well.

I would not feel safe leaving an opened shake in the fridge more than a couple of days. I don't know how fast they go bad, once opened.

If you go with a powdered protein, I highly recommend spending the $7 dollars it costs for one of the Bottle Blenders (at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club, I've seen them at many stores - be sure to get the one with the "ball" inside) - they make things soooo much easier and truly mixes the powder completely. And you can leave the mix in the shaker bottle, put it in the fridge for later, take it out, shake it up again.

As an added bonus, while using the Bottle Blender, you get a Shake Weight workout. :P

Post op, since our punches can't really handle a whole supplement shake, can we make a whole one, stick it in the fridge and "pick at it" through out the day? Are there some brands that mix and sit better than others? Hubby thought maybe a premixed one?

@@MamaTo3inNH Yes pre-mix is always in my fridge. I like the Premier Protein in chocolate myself. I also mix a scoop on PB Cookie Syntrax protein with it. That gives you 53 grams of protein per drink and it holds up great.

Edited by joatsaint

@@joatsaint I have a bottle like that I got at Walmart and Has a bottom that screws on and holds my vitamins...pretty cool!

Come to think of it, I do leave open premier chocolate and vanilla RTD containers in the fridge for up to a week. I use them for Creamer in my coffee sometimes. (The vanilla mixed with Celestial Seasoning Bengal Tiger tea actually makes a great Decaf chai)

Thank you everyone!!!! I'm heading to costco Monday to get some premier pre-mixed... I wasn't sure about the powdered/skim milk ones. I have two blender shaker bottles so that's an awsome idea - make one in the morning and keep it in the fridge and sip it through the day - it will help me keep moving too since my fridge is at the other end of the house :)

Premier Protein is a lifesaver. It is the only drink I can tolerate. I stick to the chocolate because vanilla tastes too sweet for me. I have used portions and kept the rest in the fridge. Just shake and drink.

I usually won't last more than 2 days as I drink them.

I'm gonna try @@Kindle's chai idea. In the winter months I like a cup of tea in the evenings. That's a great way to get in a little extra Protein.

I have a rubbermaid shaker bottle. It's very handy for grab and go and really does mix the powders well.

I also use a nutra bullet when I add things to my powders like nut butters, spinach or fruit. It's helpful to have more than one Water bottle/shaker bottle.

I like keeping RTD Protein drinks in the fridge. Toss one in your bag of you're going to the mall or someplace. It may be a lifesaver if you get somewhere that there is nothing safe to eat. Especially in those early days pre-op.

I still take close to an hour to drink my morning Protein shake. Sometime I just top it off when more ice if it gets to room temp.

Where do you all buy Premier Protein? I'm using Visalus because I already had it before surgery and I love the taste when blended with strawberries, but I'm 5 weeks post-op and for some reason I can hardly getting ANY Protein to stay down. I don't know if I'm drinking too fast or what, but I get a bubble and can't burp, then end up throwing up and it's horrible!!

Where do you all buy Premier Protein? I'm using Visalus because I already had it before surgery and I love the taste when blended with strawberries, but I'm 5 weeks post-op and for some reason I can hardly getting ANY Protein to stay down. I don't know if I'm drinking too fast or what, but I get a bubble and can't burp, then end up throwing up and it's horrible!!

Sounds like you are drinking too fast. Try taking a sip, then wait 2 minutes. Take another sip, then wait again, and so on.