Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Comparison: VSG to C section?

I know I probably shouldn't compare but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the recovery and pain is like in comparison to a c section?

I have had a c section, hysterectomy, and vsg. I found the sleeve to be the hardest of the three. The pain associated with sipping and eating was difficult for me. pain from the incision(s) was similar in all three. That being said, about three days after the sleeve, I felt better!

@@laurenella82 Ugh! I asks that same question on here before my surgery and everyone said it wasn't as bad blah blah blah. So imagine how pissed I was when I Woke up in recovery and it freaking hurt! My exact words to the recovery nurse where "they all f'in lied"!! (But I used the dirty words without shame) He was like "who lied? About what?" I said they said it wasn't going to hurt! They are all liars!!! So Yes in my case the first 10-15 mins after waking up hurt! After that they got my pain under control and it didn't really hurt that bad until after I Left the hospital, the first two days weren't pleasant I remember telling my husband I'd rather have a c-section (I've already had 3) I called my surgeon on day 3 and told him I was hurting and the pain meds Weren't doing sh*t so he prescribed me a stronger narcotic and after that I was A-ok!! Now with that being said I also had a crappy JP drain that added to my misery. I didn't have any gas Pain or any of that junk thank goodness! So for me it wasn't a walk in the park BUT you could be completely different, some people don't even remember the recovery room at all. The Good thing is I'm over two months post op and I don't even think about unless asked and I Wont lie, mainly because I don't want people cusing me in the recovery room lol! I would do it all again though the few days of pain are well worth it. You may have a painless easy recovery it all varies! So don't let me freak you out!

Edited by Elode

@@Jill7768 It's like we're twins! Lol minus the hysterectomy!

@@Elode lol!!

What's a JP drain??

@@laurenella82 Its a tube that goes into your abdominal wall to drain out the excess fluid/blood from surgery. The tube then hangs outside your body through a incision And it has a bulb on the end (think Grenade shape) the bulb collects the blood and you have to open it up and drain the blood/fluid out periodically. I was suppose to have It until my first apt (7 days) but I pulled it out after 4 days. It quit working and it was a Sunday. I wasn't about to wait until I could get an appointment. Being a nurse I called the on call Dr and he said I could either wait or take it out so I pulled the little annoying painful bastard. It's a good foot long...and weird!

Edited by Elode

@Elode pS best feeling in the world to get it out! I felt instantly better from that day forward!

Ugh!! Lol

Oh my goodness ! Did I mention my own name in that last post! Holy crap and I'm not even drinking! Wow, just wow!

Edited by Elode

Never had a c- section, but I did have a radical hysterectomy(ovaries, lymph nodes , Fallopian tubes, etc...) that was also done laparoscopically. I guess I have a high pain threshold or something because neither hurt that bad.

You might be like me. I had zero pain, no nausea, no gas, no vomiting, no Constipation, no complications whatsoever. I have tolerated every food I've tried so far. The worse things I've had happen was having to get a PICC line when they couldn't start an IV, getting a rash from the tape used to hold the PICC line in place and some mild indigestion.

I guess we are all different. My C section was way worse than my sleeve surgery! Much more pain and harder recovery.

1 emergency csection and 1 scheduled

Sleeve was initially more pain than both, but the recovery with sleeve way better. (A week out)