Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet Support Thread

:)

For those on liquid diets... Pre-op, post-op, pre-fill, post-fill, post-slip, or for any other reason,

Stop in here, get some support. It can be really hard to be on liquids, and when you're done with it, you probably don't want to think about it anymore, much less help anyone else get through it and listen to their woes.

Liquid Dieters STAND STRONG! STICK TO IT! STICK TOGETHER HERE!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I'm not sure if I will be able to do the liquid diet when it is time to (mid june), SO I think I will do a practice liquid diet to build up my "skills". I don't want the day to come, and then not have the willpower or stable blood sugar to follow through. I am doing liquids for three days starting now, this is the pre-op diet required by my doctor.

Evilah

I, too, was concerned about my blood sugar during the liquid phase.....I'd been diabetic for 20 years. I was amazed when I sailed right through it with no major fluctuations at all. I've learned since that using the Protein and eliminating the carbs does wonders for keeping your glucose levels evened out. BTW....within 5 mo. after surgery, I ws completely off all my diabetic meds and my readings are good all the time for the past year now.

The liquid diet phase is tough. But, I found once I got past the first three days it got so much easier. The hunger pains and headaches dissipated a great deal. I also normally only weigh myself once a week. However, during the liquid diet, to help motivate me I got on the scale daily. Wow, talk about a motivator. Seeing the pounds literally melt away every day really helped me stick with the diet. That, and knowing my reward for doing so would be the band.

I am here for ya!

When I was on the clear liquid diet for WEEKS after my surgery, I was here whining about it every day. Funny as that is when I got addicted to the food Network, I watched every single cooking show that was on.

anyway, i got a lot of support here so do feel as though you can come and whine, cry, complain here....

Hugs and I must say that I am really glad I stayed on that clear liquid diet as long as I did. I lost a ton of weight.

good luck

hugs, I can surely feel your pain.....

Day 10 of liquids only and I'm having a tough day today. I'm so sick of it. I feel like I'm doing ok as far as hunger goes and no real cravings but my options are Protein Drinks, Soup, yogurt, or soup...or yogurt...oh wait....or soup....:(

(my dietitian/doctor include yogurt this phase). I think I'm just getting stir crazy still hanging out at home. I did sit out in the sun today and felt better.

Thanks for letting me whine. Good luck to all of you!

There are so many Soups out there lkristy!

on of my favorite Soup recipe places is recipesource.com

I also own a recipe book dedicated to soup that I picked up on the sale rack at B&N.

Today, I just had ultimate meals. Ultimate meals cause you to detox, and I think I'm doing that right now. Slight headace, REALLY irritable. Not tired, but not energetic either. bleck!

Tomorrow I have an endoscopy and after 6p I'm on Clear Liquids.

You can do it kirsty!

=Evilah

Soup? ! I would love to have some yummy soup! My two week liquids consists of Protein shakes/broth/flavored water/SF-FF pudding and SF jello/popsicles.

OMG I want to chew on something soo badly. The scale every morning does help to motivate, so I've been doing that. I've only got another 4 days or so left till surgery , so thats what I'm focusing on at the moment.

Good luck to all going through this yucky liquid time too! :)

I did 4 weeks of liquids. I feel for anyone who is on the liquid stage. I found changing Soups to be a big help too. After awhile though, it was just easier not to worry about it and I just popped open a can of low carb slim fast. None of this, "what am I going to fix for dinner." I was surprised that the 4 weeks went as fast as they did. Getting on the scale and watching it go down every day, WAS a very big motivator too. There are a lot of recipes on this board for the liquid stage that were helpful. Plus my dr. said I could have egg flower Soup, so if I was totally bored, I got that from the Chinese

place and felt like I was at least eating out

Im on day 3 of my 2 week preop liquid diet. I decided also to do a test run before the real thing a day early and actually made it the whole day. So far all I have had is a cup of coffee in the morning, yogurt, Protein Shakes, broth, sf Jello, sf pudding and of course cream Soup which is to be blended and strained. I dont know why it has to blended and strained but Im doing it. I also have to do liquids for 20 days after surgery so Im going to be on this for a while. So far its not bad but I know in the end Im going to have to get more creative. Does anyone know if clam chowder would be included in the cream soup category, especially if it has to be blended?

I'm not sure about the clam chowder. I guess it would depend on how thin you could get it. It's supposed to be anything you can get through a straw.

Chop up those clams to where they are not in pieces in a blender.

I think they're worried about hard little pieces (the kind that can be missed by the blender blade, and then be lumps or Protein or gelatinous bits that your stomach has to digest) still in the Soup after blending, that's why they want straining.

What do you think?

Evilah

I've found you, my people!

I'm finishing up Day 5 of 15 of my pre-op diet... being banded Tues., 5/29 (that Mem'l Day bbq should be interesting! :( ) Then I'll be on liquids another 2 weeks after surgery (but I'm hoping that end will be easier as the gaping hole that is my stomach will be "tamed".)

I can have Protein shakes, Water, Decaf coffee & tea, crystal light, broth, and sugar-free Jello & popsicles. I have to meet the following nutritional levels: 70 g Protein, 30 g fat, 30-50 g carb, 64 oz Water. They also say 700-900 calories, but I'm finding that that's been running more like 500-600 so far, but w/all the other areas met. I'm also usually a weekly weigh-er, but have been doing it daily to watch the lbs plummet!

For broth, I'm straining 1 can of Campbell's Healthy Request Chunky Soup and then mixing the broth from that w/1/2 packet of unjury unflavored Protein powder (10 g pro). Then my kids eat the soup "guts", as we're calling them! I find those broths tastier than just broth... some have quite a kick!

I also ordered the sample pack from bariatriceating.com but was basically scared to try the different protein mixes as I know that so many of them are just awful. But I was getting bored of the Atkins-in-a-can ones, so yesterday I gave one a whirl. It was whey Gourmet Smooth Peanut Butter chocolate, mixed w/ 8oz skim milk (oh, I can have that, too), so 30 g protein, and it was HEAVEN!! So smooth & creamy & delicious! I couldn't believe it! It tasted like melted reese's cups! (Of course, not having eaten anything in 4 days, maybe my sense of taste is out of whack.) Anyhoo, I ordered a whole tub of it today... I figure if I can have 1 of those a day, I just might make it!

Otherwise I'm doing ok... the headaches are basically gone, but my stomach growls quite frequently... for instance, yesterday in the checkout line at Sam's Club... I got several odd looks from the others in line! I have been having 1 craving, tho... very specific... Ledo's cheese pizza... I've tried imagining eating it, to see if that would make the craving go away (it didn't), and also telling myself that for mushy stage, I could go buy a jar of their sauce & mix it w/light riccotta cheese for the flavor (didn't really work either), and also telling myself that in a couple months I can have the tops off a piece (still not really doing the trick). So basically, it's just trying not to think about it... but I'm surprised that THAT is what popped up as my ongoing crave... not what I would've expected... odd...

Splish, splosh!