Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I had my sleeve done 5/29/14. I started my journey at 303lbs and being my heaviest. Today I'm down 75 pounds. I have certainly had my share of ups an downs but for the most part I'm happy with my results. I still struggle with the diet portion of not really knowing what's best to eat and when. I feel like I'm starving 24-7 and my surgeon has not been of any help to me. So if anyone could share ideas or what you eat/drink in a 24 hour period I would greatly appreciate it.

Are you getting in enough Water? When I feel hungry, often times I am actually thirsty. The thirst mechanism is weak and mistaken for hunger a lot.

Also, are you on an acid blocker? Acid reflux can be a side effect of the sleeve. Reflux can be mistaken for hunger. Try an OTC acid blocker to see if that helps.

I don't think that the issue is actually hunger unless you are only eating like 500 or 600 calories. If you are getting in your minimum Protein guidelines and not eating too many carby sliders, the issue is probably one of those two I mentioned above causing the problem.

I'm only 8 week out. I keep a food diary at Myfitnesspal. I was also doing this before surgery. If you want to friend me, my username is Milaxx. Just leave a note that you're from here so I know to accept the request.

Does your program offer a support group? It might be helpful to attend a few sessions. Perhaps you could ask your programs nutritionist. You might want to make sure that in addition to your Proteins you're getting in foods that fill you up. Milks & cheeses are good for that. eggs are good. food high in Fiber are also filling.

Also make sure you are not head hungry.

Thank you for the advice. I'm not on a acid blocker and I do have trouble getting my liquids in. I tend to drink 1-2 16oz bottles of Water daily. As for the Protein I struggle with it. I find it hard to find things I can tolerate. There are no support groups offered sadly and my surgeons office seems to not like to answer any questions. I asked to see the nutritionist but I've still yet to get in with her after several calls with no reply. It's very frustrating

Is it just a slog to get the liquids in or is there some other issue (Like if you drink too fast it comes back up)? I'm guilty of just not being a big drinker. Never have been. It's a constant battle. I have a 25 oz Water bottle which I try to drink one full bottle of before lunch. Then a second one before I leave work by 5pm. So that is 50 oz. Then I can suck down two glasses of Water at home. Also, I'm bad with plain water. I have to add crystal light or sugar free weilers to it or I won't drink it. So if you are drinking plain water, try adding a flavor. If you are drinking flavored water, try plain.

food wise, maybe try to avoid Soups, they can be sliders for a lot of people. If you do go for a Soup, opt for a chunkier one with meat and veggies. Chili, chicken and chunky veggies - not a creamy Soup.

I add sugar free Water packets for flavor and I have also tried plain. Even before my surgery I wasn't a big drinker. I avoid Soup period it just doesn't stay down. I eat a lot of yogurt cheese and very little chicken on occasions I will eat crackers or nuts. I've been at a plateau for almost 4 weeks now it's starting to get frustrating.... I have tried every Protein Drink powder and bar I could possibly find and it just comes back up. My family doctor even went as far as to have the nutritionist create Protein Drinks that didn't help either. My surgeons office is of no assistance to me at all which is sad. So I turn to the Internet for any advice or help. I'm to the point where it's depressing an I just want to give up but I know I can't.

You should be able to eat just about anything this far out. I recommend logging all food honestly. Its the only way one knows their intake. Sounds like your doing well being down 75 lbs in this short amount of time. Water is the key.

I add sugar free Water packets for flavor and I have also tried plain. Even before my surgery I wasn't a big drinker. I avoid Soup period it just doesn't stay down. I eat a lot of yogurt cheese and very little chicken on occasions I will eat crackers or nuts. I've been at a plateau for almost 4 weeks now it's starting to get frustrating.... I have tried every Protein drink powder and bar I could possibly find and it just comes back up. My family doctor even went as far as to have the nutritionist create Protein drinks that didn't help either. My surgeons office is of no assistance to me at all which is sad. So I turn to the Internet for any advice or help. I'm to the point where it's depressing an I just want to give up but I know I can't.

If yogurt works for you, I recommend FAGE 0% and add your own fruit to it. It a really high protein boost. One cup has 23 grams of protein. then just focus on increasing your Water. Those 2 small changes might help and adding your own fruit to the mix keeps the sugar amount low.

Edited by Blerdgirl

For me they key is satiety. I need to feel full for as long as possible. I find I can do that by making sure I eat three meals a day of dense, quality Protein. 4 ounces of meat, pork, chicken or fish keeps me full for 3-4 hours at a time. I usually start each day with a homemade Protein shake which contains 35 grams of Protein and keeps me satisfied for 3-4 hours in the morning

I do 2 regular Snacks a day which tide me over until my next meal. They are usually, yogurt, cheese or almonds. Sometimes I use the Snacks to round out my dietary needs with fats and carbs. An apple with Peanut Butter is a very satisfying snack

Be careful you are not eating too little. That can stall your progress significantly.

The Water is important, Not only does it provide fluids for necessary body functions, it helps prevent dehydration and can stall hunger between meals. 64 ounces is a minimum, especially if you exercise.

Thank you I certainly will try to make these changes an appreciate all the advice given. I don't eat much at one sitting either I can eat usually 1 egg and I feel like that's pushing it. If anyone has Protein drink recipes/ideas they would like to share I would greatly appreciate it. I honestly don't exercise much but I stay active.

For me exercise has always been key to whether I lose weight. Find some kind of exercise to incorporate, even if it's just walking 20 mins or more a day.

I use my smoothies as my pre and post workout drink since I tend to workout in the mornings. This way I am not working out on an empty stomach and I can have a heavier smoothie because I am burning it off. I typically drink half before and half after.

Smoothies I like to make:

My own version of an Orange Julius:

I freeze the premade Orgain organics Protein Shake in vanilla. In the nutra bullet I put 1 cup of Almond Breeze vanilla unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla Orgain organic Protein Powder, 3 froze orgain ice cubes, one peeled orange, a dash of nutmeg, a dash of tumeric, and a tsp of raw honey and blend.

My version of a Cafe Mocha Smoothie:

4 frozen coffee ice cubes (I buy a medium Dunkin Donuts coffee with regular cream & sugar then freeze in an ice tray), 1.25 cups of Almond Breeze vanilla unsweetened almond milk, ½ tsp cacao powder, 1 scoop of chocolate Orgain Organic Protein powder. blend.

Wow they both sound amazing. Where do you purchase the Protein Powder? My surgeon said no caffeine at all but I could do Decaf.< /p>

The premade drinks are available in most drug stores. You can buy the powder at most online places or directly from Orgain. I would recommend buying the premade first to see if you like it. I like the chocolate better than the vanilla but the vanilla provides a nice blank slate.

Edited by Blerdgirl

I have 3-4 Protein Shakes that I really enjoy:

chocolate Peanut Butter- U-N-J-U-R-Y Chocolate Splendor Protein powder, PB2 protein powder, ice and skim milk. You can also add 3 inches of frozen banana

Mocha- Chocolate Splendor, Chike Iced coffee Protein Powder, ice and skim milk

Coffee Hazelnut- U-N-J-U-R-Y Vanilla Protein, Chike Iced Coffee Protein, ice, skim milk and Torani sugar free Hazelnut Syrup

Almond Roca- Chocolate Splendor, ice, almond milk, Torani sugar free Almond Roca syrup