Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

My doc called a little while ago to check up on me. He said Advil for these first few days isn't going to do any damage, but not a good choice long-term. Regardless, I'm going to try to stick with my tylenol only as much as possible.

I took a bunch of stuff with me to the hospital, and likewise, didn't use much. I was overnight, so used my toothbrush, hairbrush, and lip moisturizer. I did read one of my magazines and was careful to not bring any that were food mags...stuck with People. I had brought a sleepshirt, but then realized I couldn't put it on with the IV. They gave me slipper socks to wear for walking the hall. I bought some gas-x strips, but haven't used them yet.

Did any of you feel like you may be taking the easy way out?

Gladster, I don't feel it's an easy way out at all. My biggest problem on a diet is feeling hungry all the time, which ultimately leads to failure. I figure if the band will help with that part, then it's a good thing. Looking at the list of "no no" foods, I don't think this is going to be easy at all. I see all the time on magazines how people lose weight with no surgery or gimmicks. Well, good for them. I think it is those kinds of statements though that can make you feel like you are somehow cheating by getting banded. I say whatever works for you...go for it!

My grocery shopping list included:

bottled water- easy to keep track of ozs. this way

tea packs, coffee, artificial sweetner packs

Sugar free items:popsicles, fudgesicles, Jello, pudding, hard candy, gum, flavored packs to put in Water bottles

clear broths

low fat items:creamed Soups, yogurt

liquid Tylenol

gas x (only has 18 strips per box- may want 2 boxes)

pill crusher (in case you can't swallow the pills)

Multivitamins

Protein Drinks (slimfast, boost, etc)

Protein powders

These items were considered to be on the liquid list for my Dr:

small curd cotage cheese, pureed

scrambled eggs, pureed

Gladster, I agree with icy 100%.

You have to find what works for you. pills never worked for me, and as soon as I'd start a diet, I'd do great for 2 or 3 weeks, then I'd start doing bad again and gain. Seriously, After walking my marathon in October last year and realized that I just couldn't do it alone, I stopped dieting. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, and I denied myself nothing. When I weighed in at my pre op appointment I weighed the same as I did in October. That whole time I had not gained or lost anything. I do better when I'm not on a diet.

To me this tool is just that, a tool. You have to use the tool and make it work for you. It's not going to do it for you. It's not easy. I have a huge yellow cake with chocolate icing sitting in my kitchen, just 10 feet from where I sit. It's not easy going in there and fixing my shakes to drink and see it there. But by having this band in me, I know if I take just one bite, I may get sick, and if I get sick and vomit(sorry), my band may slip, and if my band slips, then I'm back in the hospital getting it removed, and if I get it removed, then I'm out $16,000 as I am self pay too.

This is how I think now. Would it happen this way, I don't know, but I'm not ever wanting to find out either.

Goodday everyone:

Yest was surgery, and I slept pretty good until about 5 a.m.

Not sure if it was the Gas movement or that I had to pee???

However I stayed up and drank a Crushed Tordol with some consume... man it tasted good...

Today, I've had Jello, tea(decaf), more consume all my prescription meds crushed or sprinkled..

Doing o.k.

Went for a 2 km walk WITH my Water bottle.. perhaps it was a bit overadventuous but I am going to go have a nap now.

Pain not too bad at all, much less than I had expected. Perhaps I'll photgraph my tummy for you all tomorrow!

((oh, I am such a tease!))

Oh I forgot, the Doctor did offer me Demerol for the pain, but I declined as I had had a bad experience with it after the birth of my daughter... so he opted to give me Tordol, or I can take Liq. tylenol as well

Wow, it's amazing to see what a 24 hour difference makes. I'm feeling much better today and have a little more energy than I did yesterday. ;)

I've already taken Bart (our dog) out twice this morning. I also feel more like a human again since I was finally able to shower. It's been interesting healing from this surgery and I'm sure if any of you could see it, you would think it was funny the way I get out of bed. When I was explaining it to one of my friends, she said we needed to get it on video and send it in to America's Funniest Home Videos.

So for any of you who like the Harry Potter movies or books, the 5th movie is great. I am excited to re-read the 5th book to find out more information that I forgot. :)

Good luck for those of you having surgery today and those of you on deck for tomorrow. :) I'm praying that everything goes well for you.

~Nichole

I was banded on Monday and I have a good experience so far.. not a whole lot of pain and no should pain to mention. I do feel at times like there is a brick in my chest where the band is, but I am guessing that is gas. There is no way I think that this was the easy way out though. Hope everyone else just banded is feeling good too

Well tomorrow is the day for me. I thought that I would be more nervous. I just can't wait until the morining comes so I can get on with it. I took my last yoga class last night and realized it might be quite a while before I can get back to it. That makes me sad-but I am taking no chances on a slip or a flip. Anybody else do yoga? What are your plans for getting back to it. My thoughts are with you all-recovering or waiting!;)

Thank you to everyone for your support with my surgery being rescheduled, icybreeze, Lynette617 and dmtjet.

:whoo:It is definite, my surgery is July 18th at 8 AM. Here is hoping there are no more problems!

Lynette617~ What happened is it is our first year with UHC so we have a $20000 cap for the first year. Insurance will be 60% of reasonable charges meaning they have an agreed price of $12000. So everything including the surgery center, doctor, doctor visits, and anastheologist had to be in that $12000 budget. So last Friday I was told that it was going to be over that, so I needed another $3000 for the surgery center to accept me as they are the last ones to get paid and are going to be shorted and they don't do payment plans. They are making an exception and allowing me to pay out 1588 because I was at 4588 over what the insurance would pay. My doctors office took $1000 off his bill so it could go towards the surgery center and he is letting me pay him privately for that. So all in all it worked out and I believe my surgeon is an angel for doing all this for me! Anyway, as for the pre-op diet. Basically I am allowed the south beach phase 1 diet, but most of the recipes don'd sound appealing to me. I am supposed to be drinking Protein shakes, and have only high Protein foods, with low fat, sugar and carbs. My favorite snack which was suggested by my nutritionist is a low fat string cheese and 30 pistachio nuts. That is also in the South Beach diet book. I have just been living on chicken and Broccoli and I'm going nuts. I am allowed chicken, ground turkey/beef, steak, and all sorts of vegetables. Any suggestions you have would be great.

Thanks again to everyone and good luck!

Tinkerbell, have you tried any of the southbeach frozen dinners in the stores? I like the pizza they have. Also, I don't know a lot about the South beach diet, but I know it's similar to Adkins, so what about celery with Peanut Butter, or salami roll ups (take salami and spread cream cheese on and roll up- they're also good with the small dill pickles in them)

Easy way out? My DH said the same thing to me just the other day. Well after 40 years of losing and gaining, after trying every diet pill and exercise plan, after months of counseling, the truth is that this is the ONLY way out. NOTHING else has worked--if it did I wouldn't be where I am. Only a fool keeps trying what doesn't work.

I am self pay too, and I am just thankful that I am able to pull together the funds to do this. Yes, it means less to spend on something else; I wish I didn't have to spend it on this. But in the end, I think it is better to bite the bullet now and finally get this monkey off my back so that I can enjoy the next 40 years more than I have enjoyed the last.