Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op with toddler?

Hi all - I am scheduled for a sleeve this Saturday 11/22. My biggest concern? Post-op healing with a 14 month old at home. Hubs is taking off two weeks to help me and we have an amazing sitter. But i am not able to lift my kid for four weeks. My demanding little chicken is not going to stand for that.

To sleevers with young kids - any advice? Tips?

In my experience, I had to separate from my child for a full week. My situation is different than yours because it is just my son and I living together in a house. I sent him away to live with his grandparents for a week and he was actually opposed to it. My son is much older than a toddler, but the point I'm going to touch on doesn't have much to do with age.

It brings on more stress when your child is around and you are not well enough to play or even hold him. My own son did not understand how I could be sick when I looked fine on the outside. He ended up thinking he did something wrong, which broke my heart and made recuperation even more troublesome. My son did come over three times briefly during the week he was away so that he could see for himself that everything was going to be okay when he got back. I showed him my staples so that he better understood why I didn't feel well or get anymore incorrect notions about why he needed to go away for a week. I talked to him on the phone everyday, of course.

I don't think it is a good idea to let your child see you in the hospital. This is just my opinion, and my situation is different than others. My own child had to deal with the death of his father at a young age and is a little more sensitive. I have worked with young children for 15 years (preschool director and public school teacher) and can tell you that they are more effected by a parent being sick or hurt than you may ever realize. It usually comes out in their paintings/drawings, dramatic play, or even aggressive behavior. Whatever you decide, just make sure that your young child is reassured that everything is okay. Any change in their normal routine could be confusing or upsetting and they need that reassurance and understanding. Good luck!

I'm following this topic. RNY is scheduled for 11/25 and I have a two and a half year old at home. She's such a handful and wants to constantly be held. Not sure I could stand spending a full week away from her though..

My youngest will be 13-14 months when I am sleeved. I am really worried about caring for him after my 2nd week post op. Hubs is taking a week off, then my mom will help. But it will be rough. I am the primary caregiver.

I am a stay at home mom of a 16 month old who is 27lbs. I wasn't supposed to lift anything over 10lbs for the first 6 weeks. My husband wasn't able to take off more than a few days after I got home because he works for the railroad. I limited my picking my daughter up to three times a day, once in the morning, once to put her down for a nap and once to put her in bed at night. I sat in the floor to do everything else ( changing diapers/ feeding, etc). My Dr knew our situation. He told me to make sure I lifted with my legs as much as possible and lift very carefully. We did just fine :) you'll do great too, just be careful.

Edited by SBovee

Thank you! That makes me feel a ton better!! I will have a week of solid help, and then another week of good help also!

Thank you! That makes me feel a ton better!! I will have a week of solid help, and then another week of good help also!

My son just turned 3 and so far it's been going okay. I told him that he can't sit on me but he can sit next to me and so far that's been going well. We'll see how long that lasts. Ha!

@@Brn2blossom unless you have complications you shouldn't need help. Many of us went home from the hospital and took care of ourselves just fine. It will actually help you recover if you have to be the one to get up and get your drinks, answer the door, etc., rather than having someone take care of those things for you. Good luck!

My body doesn't get rid of the general anesthesia meds as quickly as most people do. I had ankle surgery 12/31/12, it took a little more than 3 weeks for my head to feel halfway normal. It doesn't make me sick, it just takes every ounce of my energy away. I will be up and moving, what I need is help with the kids, especially my baby, he is used to being played with and held, by his mama. My hubby works swing shift, so he is gone most of baby's awake time. When he goes back to work, we will just spend the evenings with my parents, or we will all stay there.

@@Brn2blossom unless you have complications you shouldn't need help. Many of us went home from the hospital and took care of ourselves just fine. It will actually help you recover if you have to be the one to get up and get your drinks, answer the door, etc., rather than having someone take care of those things for you. Good luck!

as long as i can get up im good, my older son can carry him to bed/highchair/car seat. My plan is to be as active as I can while im on hospital drugs so i recovery quicker. Wish me luck! Surgery tomorrow!