Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. consult & now confused

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I had my Dr. consultation today ...all set to discuss lapbanding, mind made up. The Dr. was very personable and discussed all options and my questions. But he "suggested" that the laparoscopy by pass was a better option. It had nothing to do with me personally. If he had to choose between the 2 he would do the lap bypass, overall better success rate and less complications later on. He stated that in Europe they are finding complications after 10yrs. so they are not doing as many. I walked out preauthing my ins. for lapband and we are planning on lapband but I "can always change my mind". Guess now I am second guessing everything. :help: Has anyone else Drs. done this during their consultations? Does anyone know the overall success rate of lapband? He also stated that since I have a little over 100 pounds to loose I could expect to lose about 50-70% of that versus the 90% with the bypass. I am just kinda confused now...guess I need reassurance about my decision between the two surgeries....thanks:confused:

Bypass patients don't lose 90% of their weight. After two years, the amount of excess weight lost with the bypass is statistically the same as the amount of excess weight lost with the band. As time goes on, RNY bypass patients start gradually regaining the weight that they've lost, while lap-band patients keep losing weight.

I think you need to find a new surgeon. His "facts" about European banding are bull. It seems to me that he is either wanting to perform RNY because of the greater expense to you, or he is not experienced with banding. Either way, RUN.

I would advise you to do your own research on the options available to you. Attend meetings for both types of surgeries, ask lots of questions, talk to patients who are one year or more post-op and then make an infomed decision.

Do some more research, I think most of the people who do the lap band and are successful with it do exhaustive research before hand about the risks, the expected outcome, the commitment on their part to diet and restriction. It's a huge step and depending on where you live, there should be several good doctors in 2 hours driving distance. Just postpone it and keep doing research in the meantime-- this site is a great resource for info.

Take your time, be wary, learn as much as you can,

Evilah

<p>Yep... what LaurenD wrote.</p> <p> </p> <p>Did your surgeon happen to explain bypass to you? Did he tell you that the amount of intestine removed depends on your excess weight? Example, if you are 100lbs overweight they will remove about 3' of intestine. If you are 200lbs overweight they will remove about 6'. Did he tell you that the first foot of intestine that is ALWAYS removed is what absorbs B12 and Calcium? Did he mention that since you will no longer absorb these nutrients normally you will have to take mega supplements for the rest of your life?</p> <p> </p> <p>Did he mention that after five years your intestine will start to regrow tissue that absorbs fat and calories thus regaining lost weight yet you will NEVER absorb b12 or Calcium normally again?</p> <p> </p> <p>Surgeons make more money from bypass than they do banding. Did he mention that he might be looking out for his own best interest vs. yours?</p> <p> </p> <p>Look long and hard at this surgeon and think carefully.</p>

I have not heard of any surgeon suggesting the RNY vs Lapband....I think I would look for another surgeon....I know this must be very upsetting for you...here you are ready to make the decision to have the surgery, and he throws a curve ball into the plans....hope everything will work out for you.....good luck...

I think you just have to do what you think is right. My Dr. did the same thing. I walked out of his office confused and not knowing what to do. I still go to my surgeon's meetings once a month and he still bashes the band. I'm glad I found this sight and researched everything first. I didn't want the bypass because I thought it was too big a risk to take with 2 small children. I am so glad I got my band. I love it. I have been banded for 7 weeks and have lost 34lbs. I have to tell you that I do have to do most of the work for the weight loss. I don't have much restriction, but I like the idea that I have the band there to fall back on in moments of weakness. I think if I find old habits coming back, I will be at the Dr's office asap to have the fills needed to get this baby working for me.

That is just me. I am afraid to get too full because I still enjoy all the foods I use to only in smaller amounts. So far it has been a dream come true, and I am so glad I didn't listen to the Dr and went with my gut feeling.

Good Luck

Wendy

I went to an informational seminar at a hospital that was to include info about the lap-band. The surgeon presented material about the more drastic surgeries and then announced that he was against the lap-band. He said that you couldn't lose much weight and that the band itself was criminally overpriced at $4500. He ranted on for at least 10 minutes about the "evils" of the band.

I was sorry that I had wasted 3 weeks waiting for this seminar. I would never consider the more invasive, mutilating procedures. I went to another hospital to get a more reasonable perspective.

I switched surgeons after the seminar.

I had gone to one place and all they talked about and pushed was the RNY. I didn't want to deal with a place so one sided. I knew I wanted the band and that was it.

My new doctor said I was a great candidate for the band.

Getting another opinion never hurts. Hope you are in an area that gives you the opportunity to do that.

I agree with the others. I'd start looking for a band friendly doc. The last thing you want is an unsupportive surgeon!! best of luck to you :(

just because the band is overpriced, DOES NOT mean the band surgery isn't good. that's nuts.

just go buy inamed stock and get some dividends.

The seminar I attended seemed aimed toward bypass as well, but the doctor based that largely on results that showed faster and more excess weight loss vs. the band...commented on the heavy duty marketing of bands over the "gold standard" method of bypass surgery.

I've just heard too many down to earth negatives about by-pass, (shall we mention "dumping"?) including how emaciated many "successful" patients look. Loosing my fluffiness is one thing. Becoming gaunt is quite another.

just because the band is overpriced, DOES NOT mean the band surgery isn't good. that's nuts.

just go buy inamed stock and get some dividends.

Nobody claimed otherwise. The band is a good surgery, it works. I'm about as pro-band as they come.

Being over priced is one issues in itself. Being a good idea is completely another.

If there are complications from my band in 10 years, so be it. My guess is they will have some options by them. And I'll have had 10 good years. Nothing is guaranteed in life, but my band has already been worth it.