Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone used Bariatric Resource Center through United Healthcare (UHC) /Optumhealth ?

Seeing if anyone has used the Bariatric Resource Center( BRC) through United Healthcare I believe its affiliated with Optumhealth. Were you required to use them ? Were you told it was voluntary ? Were you first told your Insurance plan didn't offer it and then they call you months later and told you can use them ? Any feed back will be great Thanks !

I have UHC and was required to notify optumhealth before I spoke to any doctors about wls. They assigned me a nurse and we spoke about once very 90 days. They sent me their requirements and in network docs and hospital. I then made appointment with the doc I chose and followed what he said to do. The only reason I contacted them was I got online on myuhc.com and read everything that had to do with wls and it stated that I must contact optum before meeting with a surgeon. My optum nurse has been very helpful. So far I've had no issues with the process. I am currently 14 hours out of surgery. If you have not, I would say got to myuhc.com set up your online account. Go in and read everything under my benefits and /or anything that makes states about what is cover, where its covered, how much is covered, ect. My coverage states that is will cover up to $10,000 for my surgery.

I have it and I was required to call them first and get enrolled before going any further. Seems to be pretty nice having that extra support. Im just starting my journey. My husband works for the railroad and his insurance cover 100% of the cost. Thank god! It seems like this process will be an easy and fast adventure.

I have uhc also. I had to call in to enroll in the bariatric program and if I chose a center of excellence then I get a $1,000 bonus in my MRA account. When I first started I got assigned a nurse she called one two weeks later n and I kept calling her back n nothing so I got unenrolled bc she said she kept reaching out to me n we never talked (lies) then I had to re enroll again n got the same lady n then the 3rd time around I got a new nurse we talked n she was really nice. Too bad it was her last day, lol so my new nurse Kim is nice too.

So they talk to you before surgery and then check in on you post op to make sure things are good. I was required to do a six month diet. Could use weight watchers or Jenny Craig weigh ins. Or go to your doctor for 6 months. Even can go back to 5 yrs, your doctor has to fill out the form listing 6 weigh ins and notes about your diet. And you need a psych evaluation. Also notes from the surgeon office stating the procedure you want.

I made the mistake on that part. When I 1st met with the np at the hospital we talked about the lap and and that's what I wanted at that time. Then I changed my mind but I didn't know i had to decide before I met with the surgeon. So months later when they submitted my paper they put the lapband cuz I didn't inform them of the change. I didn't meet the surgeon till after the 1st they submitted the papers. So we had to call to cancel that so UHC needs the new notes about the sleeve and a new psych cuz it expired. So did the psych 10/2 and finally meeting with the surgeon yesterday :)

So they gonna submit again this week. So once I get an approval I get a date!

How Exciting! I meet with my surgeon in 2 weeks. I dont have to do a 6 month diet because ive been addressing weight issues with my doc for almost 2 years. So they are going to accept that. Woohoo so excited. Im hoping things go smoothly and I can get a date early next year.

@@Tiffany82583 me too!! Due to everyone taking vacation in dec I have to wait till January so I told the surgeon 1st available in Jan! So excited!

Thanks everyone for your input ! :) My experience has been very odd. I went to my initial surgeon seminar back in July. The surgeon had mention UHC by name that some of their policies don't require a diet program but to check with them. Made my initial consultation with surgeon along with nutritionist consult on Aug 6th. Prior to that I called UHC to to find out requirements and they told me with my plan don't me that no diet was required. They mention BRS and gave me the number but didn't say whether it was required to sign up with them. Actually the surgeon office told me to call about it because they believe its required. So once again in August I called UHC if I have to contact them what did I have to do. They told me that it wasn't a benefit included in my plan and not to call. If you go onto MyUHC under my account, then go to the benefits section under Bariatric Resource Center it says "Not Applicable". So surgeon submits paperwork to UHC late October, then last week I get a call from Optumhealth about BRC telling me its voluntary and I told them I called back in Sept and I was told that it wasn't available under my program. And they tell me that their is confusion about that and a "grey area". I'm like what ???? I signed up for it so I'm going to get my first consult on Wednesday. My paperwork is still pending hoping to get that straightened out soon. Doesn't look like a Dec date is promising. If they would of told me when I first called what I needed to do instead of continually jerking me around so frustrating !

Again thank you everyone for your input much appreciated !!! :)

@@Tiffany82583 that would be great!!! Oh.so.nique@gmail.com that's my email

@@tissiegirl oh wow that sucks. So what do you have to do with BRS? Hopefully you don't have to do anything much in addition. I didn't have to do anything special when I enrolled just the diet and psychologist eval and surgeon letter. To get the $1,000 I just had to go to a center of excellence to have it done.

See that's why you just need to cover all areas yourself, bc sometimes people don't know what they talk about and advise you wrong. I'm sorry they gave you the run around. Well if not in dec you can join our January hopefuls lol :)

@@Tiffany82583 how's is going? You have a date yet?

@@tissiegirl how are things going with you too?

I I finally got approved on Thursday !!!! My surgery date is set for February 9th. Had more stress and drama last week with it. Almost got denied and would of had to start process all over again !

I I finally got approved on Thursday !!!! My surgery date is set for February 9th. Had more stress and drama last week with it. Almost got denied and would of had to start process all over again !

Congrats!!!! Yay!!!! Im January 5th!!!