Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In the throes of bandster hell

So, 8 days ago I posted how I wasn't sure I was even going to need a fill because my band was working perfectly. My, how times have changed.

I am so freaking hungry all the time!!! I am struggling to eat small portions of healthy food and to fend off all of the holiday food that I am encountering seemingly every evening at parties, dinners, etc.

I have been battling the same few pounds for the last three weeks. A few pounds will come off, then they come right back on, and then around and around we go. I have only lost 15 pounds so far which must be the most expensive 15 pounds in history at this point.

I cannot wait for my first fill next week and am praying it gives me some help over this next two months of constant merry-making. Grrr. Just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Edited by loser2014

Oh my god, this is like a page out of my journal from last year. After I was banded my appetite was miraculously dimmed and I was pretty sure I would be one of those people who never needed a fill. When I told the surgeon this, he laughed. Seriously -- he looked at me and laughed. That was at our one week and two week post-op appointments. By the time I got to the four week appointment I was so hungry and so ready for a fill. I got another at the five week appointment, then another at the sixth. It took me a little while. He was going for a tennis-ball sized portion of food and not hungry again for 4-5 hours. I'd have the portion part but not the duration. Sometimes I'd feel it but then feel like I slipped back out of the zone. I'm glad I kept at it. Now, there are some people who never require a fill although those are mostly band plus plication people. But I was some one who definitely needed fills. Good luck to you. You are doing great -- just know it's a process. You're in the process, learning all the time. Listening to your body and paying attention is the important thing and that takes a lot of practice.

Ah I am a band plus plication gal and I needed fills and I could use another one to get me back to my green zone!!

Until then my friend it really is a bit of a struggle, but your doing great. Try not to get frustrated, and don't beat yourself up for making mistakes. Use them as learning experiences and before you know it you and your band will be working together happily ever after.

I remember that feeling well. It is really hard at this time of the year. Most of your hunger is just head hunger. In many cases I just had to avoid places where I was offered food all the time. It is hard when your family eats all the time and you have co-workers who love to bake. Its rough but you can make it through! Just stay focused on portion sizes and eating your Protein first. Remember to eat slow and chew, chew, CHEW. Ha ha ! As far as the scale, it is still my enemy at time. Don't weigh in but once a week. Try taking measurements instead or take a picture of yourself weekly. The scale can mess up my mood all day. I have to remind myself how one bite of this and a taste of that kept me fat for such a long time. That usually makes my craving pass. Good luck!

Thank you all. I hope my surgeon is as helpful as Bandista's and is willing to see me frequently until we get this right. I paid a flat fee which includes a year of fills, so we shall see.

I can get full from a cup or so of food, but it only lasts a couple hours. And the hunger that comes after is real and ferocious. The last two times I've gone grocery shopping, I have had to grab a Protein bar off the shelf, open it and eat it in order to finish shopping. It is so embarrassing to keep handing the cashiers empty wrappers!!

Edited by loser2014

Another page from my past -- I am not kidding, we must have similar chemistry or something. Protein Bar in the grocery store, yep, that was me about a year ago. Take full advantage of your year of fills. I was told 11 appoimtments in the first year so why not think of that as an industry standard. If you go in and do not need a fill, it's no skin off their back. The discussion is helpful. Also they are invested in your successl Keep those appointments! Don't get a fill if you don't need one, obviously, but be sure to keep in close contact this first year. Team You!

I was banded on September 30. I have only lost 11lb. I went in Tuesday and got my 3rd fill. The doctor say it may take 2 more fills until I feel full. I feel a little difference but not much.