Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling good...can I start the next stage diet?

I'm 7 days post op and I'm getting all my fluids but I'm still struggling with my Protein. I want to start my pureed stage but I was told not to until next monday. Has anyone else started the next stage early??

Don't start early unless your doctor specifically tells you to do so.

It's not about whether you feel good or not. It's about the time it takes for your stomach to heal internally before you can safely advance to the next stage of food.

If you start early you are basically asking for trouble and even possibly a leak.

Please just follow your surgeons instructions. There are reasons for them - that are all about protecting you and preventing leaks/complications. You can make it through it!

That's a week early, and your doctor is being generous. Be patient Grasshopper, be patient.

Thanks everyone! I will be strong!

I started early and so far no issues. I even had ***GASP**** pizza tonight.

i'm still losing like crazy.

I could only take a couple bites... but it was so worth it.

I'm drinking the Protein shakes like crazy. I loved the taste of what I had. It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it

I wouldn't start the next phase until your doctor gives you the all clear to do so.

pizza? Clearly not everyone takes this surgery and the process seriously.

I started early and so far no issues. I even had ***GASP**** pizza tonight.

i'm still losing like crazy.

I could only take a couple bites... but it was so worth it.

I'm drinking the Protein shakes like crazy. I loved the taste of what I had. It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo worth it

I don't even know how it was physically possible to eat pizza so early. That's flirting with danger!

I've emailed my NUT about starting early with my pureed stage (I still haven't heard from her). I'm not looking to have pizza or burgers though if you're able to stomach them then more power to ya. I would love to introduce some eggs or pureed chicken so I can fulfill my Protein requirement. My NUT doesn't recommend Protein shakes so my Protein intake is coming only from milk, yogurt, and other natural protein sources.

Thanks for everyone's concerns but I will follow what my NUT until she says otherwise. I just wanted other's opinions.

Why does your NUT not like Protein Shakes? I am in the soft food stage, but I still get most of my Protein from the shakes.< /p>

Not having the Protein Shakes in the first few weeks? How did you get any Protein in the first week? Clear liquid? Your nut might be a NUT lol. As long as your not losing muscle as opposed to fat. They must know what they're doing but ill say it again; it's so wild how each surgeons office is often soooo different. Crazy. Good luck though.. You seem to have the right mind set and following the guidelines! I can't wait, your inspiring me cause I'm 1 sleep away from my surgery. I haven't slept at all tonight. I'm sure I'll be narcoleptic soon..

Shelly

My NUT feels (and I agree) that you can get your Protein from natural sources. I've been having double milks (8 oz skim with 1/3 cup dry milk) but I'm slightly lactose-intolerant so it hasn't been settling right with me. Protein powder has a lot of sodium (530 mg per serving) which can cause you to retain Water. I've been hitting 50 grms of Protein a day but if I could introduce eggs and pureed meats then I could up my protein.

It is crazy how different each NUT's instructions are. I trust my NUT's recommendations but it's insane how soon people go on pureed food as per their NUT's instructions.

That makes complete sense. Did you sleeve or bypass? I think that makes a big difference too. I'm RNY. I didn't mean to question your NUTS instructions, I hope it wasn't taken like that. It's just so different from mine in Canada. Maybe they push the Protein here in Canada because its so effin' cold! Lol keep going lady, you're doing great!

Not sure what Protein powders your nut is looking at, but I have 9 different varieties in my house and 8 of them have less than 80mg sodium per serving. The worst one is premier chocolate which has 210mg per 11 oz. Milk has 130mg per 8oz. But the premier has 30g Protein, and the milk only has 8g. You would end up with almost 500mg sodium to get that much protein from milk. So on a protein/sodium ratio, milk is much worse than protein powders.< /p>

whey protein isolate is actually the best absorbed protein source there is....better than dairy, eggs, beef, chicken, soy, etc. I understand some surgeons not wanting you to drink your calories once you are on regular food but at this stage that's your best option for protein. I've always gotten in 60g or more of protein thanks to the protein powders and have had no hairloss or lost muscle tone. Even at 10 months out I have a protein smoothie everyday. This frees me up to include a healthy balance of fruits, veggies and whole grains instead of having to eat only protein for every meal and snack.< /p>

Sorry for my soapbox rant, just wanted to dispute the myth about the evil protein powders. Good luck with everything. I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you. And, BTW, I was on liquids for 18 days postop, then pureed until day 27 and soft food until day 40. Lots of different postop plans out there.

Edited by Kindle