Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you order when you go out to eat with your family?

If I order anything it is a small cup of Soup. I have 2 small boys, and if I absolutely need a bite of something they generally will share with me. I ordered food once or twice, and found that I still am highly likely to overeat when a massive plate of food is put in front of me, so I pass.

What are your experience with sushi. I am a month out and am beginning to miss food.

Edited by rabbinag

I eat out with colleagues quite a lot, and try not to make a big deal of it, but it's so hard. I always try to order a starter or some sort of small salad but usually have to explain to the waiter that there was nothing wrong with it when I can't finish!

It's interesting that most of you say that your NUTs tell you to stay off carbs. My dietician ( I'm in the UK) tells me to eat more carbs. He says I should have a third Protein, third carbs and third veggies. I do struggle with bread, but toast seems ok.

When eating Italian I always order meatballs parmigiana -- just a side of meatballs with melted parmigiana cheese on top.

Mexican get either a soft taco and eat the filling only (I like to dip the meat in fresh salsa), or a chile relleno (large mild pepper stuffed with cheese and either beef, chicken, or shrimp).

I'm 1 month out now and I've found that I can go to just about any restaurant and find something that I can eat on the menu. I mostly order from the appetizers menu as a full meal ends up being a total waste of money.

When eating at ethnic/asian restaurants (Thai, Chinese, Indian, etc...) just be careful to about hidden sugars and carbs from sauces. One of my favorite Asian choices before VSG was Pei Wei, which serves seemingly fresh and healthy Chinese dishes (much better than your typical corner Chinese take-out joint). I figured this place would be no problem to find something healthy (high Protein, low sugar and carbs), however, I was shocked when I researched their nutritional information online. Most of the dishes that seemed healthy were actually loaded with sugar..... lots of sugar and carbs. Even the lettuce wraps! It's all because of the sauces they use to prepare their dishes.

When eating out I tend to go for the grilled meat where possible. I travel for work so it does make it difficult

Last night I went to and Irish pub with friends and ordered the Irish Stew-I picked out the meat and ate a few veg plus a small amount of the mashed potatoes and that was it.

The other night a group of us went to this Italian restaurant and it was family style-very very hard for me to pick what I could eat. So I stuck with salad and the salmon! I was dying to eat all the rest of the food but I resisted-I have worked too hard to go back to normal eating now!!

My weight is so slow in coming off I can't take chances!

I'm just a little baby here...6 days post op.

Yesterday though, my mom & I went out together and did some shopping. I didn't expect her to go the entire time without eating just because my diet is so restricted right now, so we decided on Denny's. I ordered a cup serving of their chicken noodle, a Decaf coffee, and small cup of Water. I won't lie, it was hard sit there with my little Soup, while my mom ate her eggs, bacon, and pancakes. She had told me while we were looking at the menus that she felt bad eating in front of me! So needless to say, I do try not to make comments in front of her, because she shouldn't feel bad for eating in front of me. I told her, "mom, I made the choice to have this done! You shouldn't feel bad!!"

We eat out all the time..I'm now 6 weeks almost 7..I've adjusted..went to golden corral after church..i had a dab of mashed potatoes and a piece of fish..so glad i have that card that lets me have kids meals lol..funny thing is if i could have anything my sleeve wouldn't let me have much of it lol..,i missed soda the most

I know several people who say they refuse to give up soda. I'm the total opposite though; I gave it up last year and it has been easy! My addiction has never been carbonated drinks though, it's all the delicious processed/fried foods!!

i miss pop the most too, when eating out! it was a major addiction for me. i have had a small sip of my daughter's pop a couple of times, and YES, it still tastes awesome to me.

i order things that will reheat well, like grilled meats, some easy carb, and veg. if i have a salad, i use the dip/fork method and bring the rest home. i have acquired major skills in ordering foods that will result in at least 3 meals for me. my hubs jokes that i am the cheap date now. we no longer order appetizers, pop, or large huge meals. small portions, lunch sized options, or we split. it's so nice.

I have managed to find meals at a handful of restaurants. At Chick-fil-a, I get a kids meal with the grilled nuggets (70 calories for 4) and the applesauce. This might sound crazy, but it's delicious!

Last weekend we went to Red Lobster and asked for them not to bring any bread to the table. The waitress said that she'd never had that request before. I can believe it because I love that bread. But it makes me sick and it's empty calories. My husband ordered an add on of the crab legs to his meal and I ate that. It was so good! I also had a little salad.

I like to get the grilled shrimp skewer from Capt. D's.

I don't bother with breads or Pasta. They don't give me a good nutrition bang for the buck and they end up sitting there making me feel uncomfortable. To me that's counter productive to the surgery. #Noworthit

I've only been out twice. Once with my sister we went to the diner I love for Breakfast. I was finally on the soft foods so I got a vegetable omelet with cheese. I ended up bring most of it home. I think it took Breakfast, lunch and dinner to eat it all, but it was good!

I was told at my 6 week appt I could start adding regular foods as tolerated. I'm vegetarian so we went to this vegetarian Soul food place I like. I got mock BBQ chicken, collard greens and brown rice. Again I have most of it left over, but I'll nibble on it tomorrow.

I have lots of food allergies and I'm vegetarian. My family has always been really accommodating with this so this new stage hasn't been an issue for them.

Quick answer...take as long to eat our small portions as it does for everyone else to eat thei large portion. When I go to those type restaurants I order just a chicken Brest or similar. At Mexican I may order a chicken taco salad and eat just the chicken and cheese. Most restaurant are okay with special ordering like that.