Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op diet, did I blow it?

So I started my diet 3 days before the doc told me to, and have been sticking to it... until Saturday when we were cabin camping and I had a burger with a slice of cheese and ketchup. I also had 5 pieces of Halloween candy, and probably 2 servings of Doritos.

Yeterday, I was back to my good habits. My date is Halloween. Did I blow it?

Ask yourself...What is the purpose of the pre-op Diet???

Not saying you, but I am surprised at how many people do not understand......

I doubt it but would call your surgeon just to make sure. How much time between your burger and surgery? I know it's hard. I'm on day 6. I have another 8 days to go but the diet is to make the surgery safer so start over and be strict but call the surgeon. You aren't the first person to call I'm sure.

I trashed my pre-op diet 5 days prior to surgery due to a long standing business arrangement. I resisted all alcohol but I did enjoy a small fillet steak with spinach and grilled Tomato on the side followed by good blue cheese and two crackers. 1400 calories by my best estimate. After my surgery 2 days ago my consultant commented on how well my pre-op had prepared my liver and so I smiled and agreed. Your mileage may vary...

My Dr. Simply said I had 2 weeks to loose X # of lbs before surgery or he would have to re-schedule the date.

He did not care how I lost the weight, what I ate, etc, as long as I lost the weight.

I could of eaten 3 cheeseburgers a day...it did not matter as long as I lost the weight.

Obviously eating cheeseburgers everyday would not have worked, but I did design a weight loss program that included certain things on certain days.

And because I had only 2 weeks, it had to be extreme and effective.

Edited by B-52

Sometimes life gets in the way of our best intentions. I seriously doubt you have "blown it". You have 4 more days to stick to your doc's instructions religiously. You can do this. Good luck and let us know how it goes post-op.

Honestly, most of us had a cheat day around day 5 or 6 from what I've seen so far. My pre-op diet happened to fall around the same time as my son's birthday, and I did have some things that were not on my diet. HOWEVER. I started fresh the next morning, stuck to my diet for the remainder of the time, and everything was fine. My doc didn't even ask about it, and my NUT told me that it happens and not to stress as long as it was only once.

Ask yourself...What is the purpose of the pre-op Diet???

Not saying you, but I am surprised at how many people do not understand......

I am surprised you didn't answer your question. Maybe I don't understand. If you do, why play cat and mouse with your knowledge? Instead of judgmental, you could be helpful.

Thanks people! I appreciate the compassion. Off to have a shake...

My pre-op diet was terrible, at best I stuck to it on alternate days and had many 'last meals' don't stress yourself out. Luckily for me all was good and the op went well. Obviously you know how important the pre-op diet is. Not everyone will be as lucky as me, just do your best and don't beat yourself up over a small slip. If we could all stick to diets we wouldn't the having these ops. If it's not safe during the op the surgeon won't go ahead. Try your hardest, fingers crossed all will go well for you :-)

I am surprised you didn't answer your question. Maybe I don't understand. If you do, why play cat and mouse with your knowledge? Instead of judgmental, you could be helpful.

Because I am not her Dr. And i would be nothing irresponsible for me to

Give medical advice over the Internet to total strangers....

To the extreme I could get in a lot of hot Water and loose my job if it should ever come to that, but I am trained not to.

Everyone here has a Dr. Every Dr. Has a treatment plan personalized just for each patient.....no two patients are the same, as is no 2 dr.'s are the same....

I am amazed at some of the questions asked here....more so, I am amazed at the people giving medical advice.

Al anyone can and should do is share their personal stories and experiences.....no harm, no foul...

So all I can say is "has your Dr. Not explained this to you?

So I started my diet 3 days before the doc told me to, and have been sticking to it... until Saturday when we were cabin camping and I had a burger with a slice of cheese and ketchup. I also had 5 pieces of Halloween candy, and probably 2 servings of Doritos.

Yeterday, I was back to my good habits. My date is Halloween. Did I blow it?

prob not but its over and done w/now

you are stronger thank you know or give yourself credit for

best to do the best you can up and until then

(maybe even let your doctor know)

the pre op is to help your liver get smaller to give better

access to your surgeon...its not to be a diet..its for a reason.

ps, cheating after surgery could harm your insides so for

best results, follow your doctors advice...because if you dont

you only are cheating yourself....and we've all cheated on our

diets havent we??

Blah... this is a support forum, not a verbal argument forum. I appreciate others for their support. I know you aren't giving medical advice, and can only share your experience. That validation was what I was seeking, and I thank you for that. As for the judgmental tone, I could do without that. So comment on another thread, buddy, and leave support to those people who are capable of empathy.