Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was able to email the surgeon with my concerns and asked him to have someone call me when he gets his clinic working again.

I have missed follow up appointments and have meds that need addressed.

I think the bigger you are the faster you lose.

That may seem like a lot in 11 days but I've seen people post that.

And no your prior post does not answer my question.

I am sorry you feel lied to, but I don't know what you were told and what you expected so I can't comment on that. I feel like you're holding back for some reason because we may be confused? I saw this was your first and only post. A lot of folks on here have tricare as you do and can be pretty understanding and provide you support.

So I hope that you get the support you need.

I hope you got written instructions for your diet or a nutritionist to support you.

If you didn't read this information as it will help you.

http://www.peachtreebariatrics.com/docs/Gastric-Sleeve-Patient-Manual.pdf

Good luck on the journey.

One thing I learned through the military and Tricare is the "Hurry up and wait" mentality.

Here's a skill I've learned to walk through when I can't get answers I feel like I need. First, think about this as a business call. I know it's hard to keep your cool when you don't feel well or when you have concerns of being ill-treated. But I also know that most of the people who answer the phones aren't going to go out of their way if they feel attacked. :) Remember, you need answers, not enemies!

So I'd start off by writing out a script with your basic concerns that you need addressed. I do this so I don't get off topic or forget to ask something important.

Then, when you get someone (anyone) on the phone, read them the script. Some times I've found a helpful person who can answer one question but not the rest.

Then ask them if there is anyone they can refer you to that is above them or in another department who might be able to help you with your concerns. I personally take notes on who I talk to, the date and time, and anything they said that's relevant.

My last bit of advice might seem cliche, but it's proved true in my life over and over again. Right now there are people in your life who are watching how you deal with this situation and it will shape them and influence them. This can either be a "poor me" story or a great, inspiring story of overcoming obstacles, especially unfair and complex obstacles. But just remember, people are watching how you act and react!

I'm praying for you!

Cant agree enough algea. I have other health care professionals and others who are local and I have a feeling I am not the only one this is happening too. My understanding after asking questions is without a Nurse Coordinator, nothing gets done. Im not even sure the Dr knows I am having difficultys. Now if the email is a good one great.

This is turning out to be a wonderful exeperience and very positive on my life. I have moved past the issues with the clinic and took charge. I am responsible for me. I use what works in my life and get rid of the garbage. While the Dr and his clinic could be helping they choose not to.

If someone makes a promise and then they brake that promise, that is a lie to me. I have no time for liars in my life. I posted this here to let folks know I am not happy. I dont have many post as I am a new patient and just founf the forum. As long as I get negative emails from folks on the forum. I will just not use the forum. You know who you are, good luck with life.

Thank you too all who has made positive comments and I want to say thank you for listening.

Don't let others run you off! I've found this to be a very good resource. I've noticed that it takes all kinds of people to make the world turn and it's the same with these forums. Find some people you like, friend them, follow their posts! I'm so excited you are losing weight and can't wait to read your FULL story one day. :)

When I started this post. I did need to vent a bit as I was scared at first. Now I have done what I can, its is up to god. I dont know if the person was trying to help or be mean. I know I had a bad few days till I realized everything was great. Not sure about the doctors or nurses attitudes, but feel good about getting the surgeons email so I could make sure he knows some things are not happening. There is grumblings from others as I found out. So if one doesnt speak up, nothing will get fixed.

There is some very intelligent folk here. I never considered the operation a mistake and am glad to have such good company. I actually had fun today as each day gets better.

I am so very sorry you had such a horrible expirience. I agree with the above poster that you definitely need to be seen by a doctor about your stomach. If anything, it will make you feel better about know what is going on. Worst case scenario, go to the ER at the hospital the procedure was performed in. They will be able to get a hold of someone to help you.

In this process information is everything and I agree your doctor has dropped the ball royally. I encourage you to look past this experience and focus on the future. As you continue to heal and are able to do more and more, you will begin to discover your new body. You will find out how amazing it is and what you are cabaple of. On those days when you feel like your not getting anywhere and things seem bleak, make a list of all the things you can do now that you couldn't before. I remember crying the first time I could do something as simple as walking down a flight of stairs like a normal person. Now I run up and down them. Keep an eye on how far you've come and all the amazing things you are doing instead of focusing on the past.

I agree you made the right decision and I am so excited for the journey of rediscovering your body that you are about to go on. It has been the defining moment of my life so far and it will be for you as well. If you have any other questions or if there is anything I can do for you please let me know. My links are below. I hope this helps.

I have started new routines which encourage me to exercise and eat healthy. Im too busy focused on takeing care of myself as this is a second chance at life for me. I understand about being able to do stuff I havent in a long while. I hadnt lost the ability to walk, but was very close. Even though some health problems like Diabetes is gone. I still have pains in my feet most likely from nerve damage. I have found that there is plenty oh healthy choices and Im not alone. Im currently researching what is healthy sodium and fat limits so I dont develop other issues.

OP, I have skimmed through the posts, but my advice would be to call your surgeon and get an appointment in his office and forget about the surgical unit, etc.

Does he have an office or is he just a surgeon for the hospital? I noticed you said you have Tricare, so does that mean you were at the VA or a military hospital, or was it a regular hospital?

Hi pik, I was at a military hospital. Dr Rice is a doctor there with a good track record. I was able to finally talk with him via email. His response to my concerns was: No response necessary. I had not contacted him or the nurses. This is a matter for the VA.

The VA is seperate from the hospital. The doctors responses do not match with what other recent patients are saying on two other forums specifically for that hospital. Tricare does not have me listed as a patient. Also the Doctor did not repsond till I contacted the Texas State Medical Board with my concerns.

I did ask for a transfer of services. I was transfered to yet another person where it went straight to a recorded message telling me to contact my PCM, then a busy signal. I called half a dozen phone numbers yesterday associated with the hospital. I never got to talk to a real person and no messages have been returned so far.

My immediate concerns are the damage that happened to my back and feet during surgery. My back has always hurt, but I cant take any meds for it. My feet are a new pain that keeps me from sleeping. I asked a nurse yesterday about my dietary concerns and was told that is out of her reach.

I did thank the docotr for taking the time to address my issues but feel it was innadequate. I will continue to research on my own to make sure this operation is a sucess. I cant write prescriptions not Dr. ,yself. I have few options to get care here.

So far life is good as I am better off even with my worry that I was before the operation. I miss all the flavors of food I used to have or the fullness I used to get. I am off the Water stage and can start my 2 week puree stage now. I have tested the waters with a variety of food and found food taste even better after the operation and I dont need but a few ounces to make me full and happy. I am sure I am keeping withing the 500-1000 calories a day that doctor told me the operation was designed to do. Greasy deep fried food is not my friend as I did sample a few things the last week off the wifes plate. This has change the whole familys way of looking at food.

While my doctor and team have some how bumbled through the last 12 years without a complaint. I can tell you I have to hope he is really that good and everything is fine. I am moving forward, getting the much needed exercise gutting through the the pain in my feet and back. Clothes are fitting better, I have almost dropped a size. Most of the weight seems to be missing from my face and other areas. Not my waist yet. You can see a big difference in my gut as it is not as full as before.

Im not sure how to get the weight tracker up and running. But I am somewhere between 250 and 260 down from 281 pounds in just a few weeks.

I have went with the Atkins Protein drnks for my Protein. Also Centrum chewables for my Vitamins. Does anyone know if I need extra Calcium also? I thought that was a girl thing. Also morning movements are about every other day. Almost normal and dont seem to be a problem. I take it thats normal?

My diabetes is down to 130 in the morning from a normal 300-400 before surgery. I also am not allowed to take any heart medication with my BP slightly higher than normal. Other than some residual pain i my feet and back, I think I am doing good. I got focused on what was wrong and I should be focused on what is right. I do appreciate the help and your resonses lets me know if I have real concerns or not. There is porbably a lot fo things I could do. But I cant think of anything else I can do to help my situation at this moment.

Every day I do net get help from the Dr or his team, I am talking to someone else. Sooner or later a fire will be lit and I will get what I need.

Oh goodness what a mess. I don't know if the Vitamin issue is different for males and females. I am hoping someone will chime in with that.

I cannot imagine having such a huge surgery without the surgeon and his team being part of your recovery and new life.

Hi Everyone!

I am new here, but my surgery is on Monday and I don't want to go under the

knife fully aware. Naturally I did my research but after the surgery are there any questions you

wished you have asked from your doctor before the surgery?

thanks.

Had a phone consult with the Dr. He was upset with me, sad a lot of bad things. I never did get a 1 week follow up or the meds and suppliments I needed.

I do have appointment with another doctor and this will be just a memory soon enough.

Communication with your doctor is important, I would make sure you know how that works. You most likely will have questions after the surgery you didnt forsee.

Im almost two weeks out and just starting a puree diet. I have nothing but good things to say about the operation, and benefits. I had a set of medical problems that would have killed me slowly anyway. Eating healthy and feeling better was never this good for me. It was always a struggle before.

I wish there was some follow up for the cravings and old habits like eating at night that got me here in the first place. Get someone you can count on to be there for you.

Today I worked on why my back and feet hurt. Its starting to keep me up at night. Im still not able to exercise and the pain is keeping me from doing the walking I want to get in. The start of the puree diet for the next two weeks made me fell uncomfortable. I got full and couldnt take in any more Water for the first day. I seem better today. My sense of taste has greatly improved and the simplest things are so delightful now.

Good news, had my 6 week follow up and all is well. I have lost 24% of my goal and Im right on track. They ordered some more Vitamins and supliments so I feel better as all my concerns was answered. Im able to eat more than I could and I am upset I can. Im eating a half a cup with ease, but no more. Gas is a problem, but movement in the mornings is well. Im down to 149 from 183. Not bad for 6 weeks. But I seem to be averaging a little less than 10 pounds a week right now. Now I feel great, cant remember when I could put my own shoes on. Ny daily goal is to walk 10,000 steps a day. I am at goal and finding it easier as the days go by. I may have stumbled at first, but it wa worth it.