Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thought I was all set on the sleeve until.....

I had my first consult with my surgeon today. It was informative and we spent minimal time together because I am relatively healthy and I think I had done enough research.

I thought this was a pretty much a done deal, even though I knew a lot of reasons why ppl choose the RNY.

But something she said struck me.

She said if were to have a hypothetical patient with the bypass and sleeve that had a complication or a leak (rare, we know) and you lined up a group of surgeons and asked which patient they would choose to fix, she said hands down the surgeons would pick the RNY! She said a patient that has a leak with the sleeve is so serious and complicated that person may not be able to eat normally for a long while and its a long recovery. Because the RNY has been around for 40 years all surgeons know how to fix anything that could go wrong really well. And a leak in the sleeve is like "oh lord" 'hands-to-face'. She was being tongue and cheek, but for someone whose very concerned about potential complications and the risk of anesthesia, my ears certainly perked up.

Her complication rates are exceptionally low. One leak in a RNY in 12 years of practice and none in the sleeve, although she is fixing leaks from patients who had the surgery out of state.

For a person who has solely been trolling the sleeve pages pre-op, I'm definitely gonna be around here a little more until my decision is made.

I was considering the sleeve, but my doctor says it will increase my GERD. I don't want to live with that and taking more meds. Going to do the bypass.

I too had thought of the sleeve but because I had GERD pre op I was told RNY was best

Gastrectomy's have been around far longer than RNY has. Ulcers and cancer have been removed that way for over 100 years. The first partial gastrectomy was performed in 1879.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1893089-overview#1

Although it may have been unsuccessful then, medicine has advanced so much! Plus, it doesn't say why the surgery was unsuccessful.

A leak is a small risk, but there are leak risks with RNY as well. They are still cutting in your stomach and intestines.

I hope you choose what is right for you. ????

I too had thought of the sleeve but because I had GERD pre op I was told RNY was best

I had gerd and it has resolved with my hiatal hernia being repaired.

Gastrectomy's have been around far longer than RNY has. Ulcers and cancer have been removed that way for over 100 years. The first partial gastrectomy was performed in 1879.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1893089-overview#1

Although it may have been unsuccessful then, medicine has advanced so much! Plus, it doesn't say why the surgery was unsuccessful.

A leak is a small risk, but there are leak risks with RNY as well. They are still cutting in your stomach and intestines.

I hope you choose what is right for you. ????

Thanks. Me, too. I know it was part of the duodenal switch procedure, but I think what she was getting at was more surgeons have performed more rnys over the years and the sleeve has resurfaced as an option for the masses rather recently and yes both procedures carry risk for leaks, but the case of the sleeve it's such a loooooong surface area that could potentially leak versus the rny. Luckily, we're talking about exceptions and not the rule! :-)

Thanks. Me, too. I know it was part of the duodenal switch procedure, but I think what she was getting at was more surgeons have performed more rnys over the years and the sleeve has resurfaced as an option for the masses rather recently and yes both procedures carry risk for leaks, but the case of the sleeve it's such a loooooong surface area that could potentially leak versus the rny. Luckily, we're talking about exceptions and not the rule! :-)

I'm so glad the sleeve was approved through my insurance, or I never would have had wls. Everyone is different and have their reasons for what they choose ????

I just know my mind could never accept a foreign object or rerouting of my organs. I don't understand why they don't remove the "blind" stomach after bypass. It is essentially useless and should just be taken out...imho

I'm so glad the sleeve was approved through my insurance, or I never would have had wls. Everyone is different and have their reasons for what they choose ????

I just know my mind could never accept a foreign object or rerouting of my organs. I don't understand why they don't remove the "blind" stomach after bypass. It is essentially useless and should just be taken out...imho

Felt the exact same way. But apparently now they know that area, the left over tummy secretes gastric juices/enzymes that aid in digestion. They just meet up on down the line, so to speak....Lol

I was told by my NUT, that they leave the stomach for emergencies such as an accident or a stomach cancer, you still have good tissue there. Just repeating what I heard.