Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Return to work / recovery Time

Hi Guys

I am looking for some guidance about when I should go back to work . I was sleeved on the 4th October my surgeon said recovery was 4/6 weeks but depends on the person - so far all has been good for me I'm feeling good in myself but I'm not sure if on day 5/6 if it's too soon to know if I'll be ok to go back to work in week or how I'll feel and cope at that point - I have a desk based job so physically it's not demanding but it can be quite full on and stressful at times - I am due to staples removed from wounds 17/10 should I wait till after I see doctor ?? Any help would be appreciated thanks Cathy

Yes, Cathy, u need to wait until u see your doctor. Also can you drink at your desk as you work? If so, great so you dont get dehydrated. But give yourself time to heal sweetie. U just had major surgery! You will have days where you will be weak and tired. Once you feel you have had more better days and feel things are a little back to normal (whatever normal is for u) then return back to work. Good luck sweetie

I returned to my desk based job one week after surgery and I was fine. I was a bit tired the first few days, but I had no problem keeping up with a reasonable work load. Ultimately, only you can tell when it is best to return to work. If you don't feel well and you have the time to use, then take your time recuperating. If you may be short on vacation days or don't want to be out of work for very long, you may be fine being back at work in a week. Good luck in your journey! :)

Thanks very much guys - yes I can drink at my desk and my work expect me to be out for the whole of October so if I get back sooner it's a bonus. I get the good and bad days I think I'm starting to see that myself - I can work from home and have logged on from home to respond to emails ect I think I will take next week off for sure and see how I feel at 2 week point as I don't want to rush back and regret it also see the impacts of reintroducing foods into my diet xx

i was ready after 2 weeks but the minimum time required by my doc is 4 weeks. i'm finally going back monday!!!! ????????????????

I had my VSG on 10/1. I saw the doctor today and we agreed on: out for one more week, then one week of part time from home before returning to full time. I basically have a desk job. But I am the manager I run around a lot and have a demanding project timeline. I'm up and about now so I should be in good shape when I go back.

Edited by Laurieless

i'm nervous, my surgery is october 23rd and i'm scheduled to go back to work on october 30th. I work for an oral surgeon and stand and walk all day but from what i'm reading the more you walk the better you feel. Im hoping i'm able to return in a timely fashion.... also, my close friends and family know everything about the procedure but my boss and co-workers do not... i gotta break it to atleast my boss soon, considering my surgery is in less than two weeks...any suggestions?

i've just had such a long list of negative responders, saying things like oh you aren't fat, just exercise, dont ya think that's a little much, etc... at this point i'm ready, and would just like to have my last few days at work peaceful and not spend it all defending my decision to be healther :)

Rachel, im with you. I dont want to explain my decision to anyone at work so i'm waiting until i go back to work and people start asking questions as to why i was out so long, i put in for four weeks but i told my manager and supervisor maybe after three I'll be back. I have a very physical job so i know I'll be out at least three. My surgery is November 11 and i have off till December 10.

U both would be surprised at how those same ppl who will give you negative feedback about your surgical decision is those same ppl who secretly wish they were having the same opportunity. Lol... Don't let anyone rain on our sun shining day! You are doing this for YOU! And that's that.....stay strong and positive. Good luck to both you ladies on your up coming surgery????

With hipaa you do not need to specify why you are out. Even your HR does not need to know. The only person who would know is the company (usually third party) paying your disability. At my post op visit I felt I could have returned to work but my surgeon said too soon. He said take up to 6 weeks. I am going back to work in 26 days, my choice. Even my supervisor was surprised.

I am a teacher. I had surgery on Saturday morning, and went to work a week from Monday (9 days). I asked my surgeon ahead of time and he said ok if I felt like it and could get my liquids and Protein in. I have been fine!

I took a week off and had absolutely no problems. I was also able to do laundry, vacuum, work my horses, etc five days after. Let your body tell you what you can and can't do.

I had a similar recovery as Cody's mom. Traveling, shopping, laundry, Plowing my driveway, taking care of dogs and horses, etc within 5 days. Back to work at a very active job standing, squatting, bending, lifting, driving, etc at 7 days postop. I had to restrict myself to not lift more than 20 pounds for 3 weeks, but had no problems dealing with work. Just made sure I had plenty of Water and Protein Shakes since I was on full liquids for 18 days.

I'm only taking 7 days (Tuesday-Tuesday). If there's a chance I'll need more time, it'll be tough on my store but I'll be able to take it.

I've been extremely upfront and open with everyone regarding my decision to have this surgery, including my boss and coworkers.

I work in a small retail store and we're all very close. Everyone has been nothing but supportive, at least to my face. Lol! They've all watched me struggle the last couple of weeks with the stress of not meeting my goals and having to postpone surgery so they were all almost as happy as I was when my surgery date was confirmed this week. :-)

I know that not everyone is as much of an open book as I am but I have to say that the support of my friends, family and coworkers has been amazing and I couldn't imagine doing this without them knowing. And even if they weren't, who effing cares? I'm doing this for me and anyone else's opinion is just that... An opinion. I hope that my future success, because I WILL be successful, can encourage and inspire others who've struggled like I have.

Edited by angierue

I came back after 10 days (light duty) for 2 weeks