Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you settle on a goal?

Just curious, how did everyone settle on a goal weight? I'd love to hear from anyone, but I'm particularly interested in the Forever Fluffies. I've never been anything but fat so I don't have one of those "I was comfortable at ___" reference points.

Forever fluffies...ha! That's cute.

Forever fluffies made me laugh. I've been a yo-yo dieter so I've been up and down 60-80-100 pounds a few times. I chose my goal weight based upon what I thought was realistic. My entire life 120 has been the goal, however I am never ever getting to that weight, lol, so I went with 129 because it seemed possible. I really wanted to be under 137 because that was the point at which I would have lost 100 pounds and it is 1 pound smaller than I've ever been as an adult over 21. Also, it happens to be the number at which I move from "overweight" to "normal" on the BMI chart I've had since I was a teenager. 129 seemed like a good goal because then I can say I am under 130, and it gives me a little wiggle room in case I gain a pound or two, to still remain comfortable with my size. Picking a goal was kind of a process for me- I feel like most people have a magic number in their head and they stick with that or what their doctor suggests.

My surgeon set the goal weight for me at 110 and I agreed with him but I myself would like to go down until 101 lbs (if I can) like when I was 25 which I think at that weight I didn't look fluffy lol I'm small and round so I never looked skinny even when I was thin.

The only time that people mentioned that I look 'too skinny' was when I was 16 and I weight 83 lbs but I never want to look skinny.

I would love to be between101-110 lbs at the moment, I'll see how well I can do. Now I'm almost half way to goal. I'll be happy already if I can lose only 40 lbs more.

Thanks! I think I'm mainly afraid that if I set my goal too low and can't meet it, I'll fall back into the "all or nothing" thinking again. Setting it too high isn't all that helpful either, lol.

My magic number has been 130 as long as I can remember, since it would put me solidly in the middle of a normal BMI for my height. I'm so indecisive - I think a goal somewhere between 130 and 150 would be good, but picking that number is tough!

I was the same way. That was one of the first a questions I was asked by the doctor. Like you I have always been fluffy. =) I had no idea. My response was I want to be healthy. The doctor wanted a goal set so I knew what I was working towards. So, she helped me decide based on hight and body structure. We came up with 160. I was ok with that a little scared, but ok. I have been below 200 since I was a kid. =)

I'm very tall (I used to be 6ft but my back issues have me at almost 5 11. I haven't been in the onederland since I was in grade school so I'm happy at 199 but I'm gonna see if I can get to 175.

I'm a "Forever Fluffy"! Lol

When my doctor asked what I wanted my goal to be, I immediately said 180. I don't know why that weight came to mind but it would be the smallest I've been in I can't remember when.

I'm pretty sure I was 150-170 in high school. I remember when I hit 260, thinking that was insane.

I did a metabolic diet when I was 330 and dropped 75 pounds. I gained it all back, then some.

When I went to my first appointment with the surgeon, I was 380.5. I almost burst into tears. This morning, I weighed 358.4. I'm on my pre-op diet, trying to lose 38lbs before surgery.

I still think 180 is where I'll be comfortable. For me, it's all about being healthy and comfortable, not skinny. I'm 5'6" so I think it'll great on my frame. :-)

(That's my long winded answer Lol)

@@angierue I told my doctor 180. He asked me how much weight I wanted to lose and I told him as much as I can to fix comfortably in the roller coaster rides at the theme parks. Lol together we came up with that number which will be 150 lbs smaller than what I am now

@@angierue and good job on the weight loss so far. The pre op diet is going to be alot on me but I'm going to put all my efforts into it

I wanna ride roller coasters again too!!! Lol

And yes, the pre-op diet is freaking hard! But, I'm looking at the positive. Hopefully it means I'll have an easier transition phase post-op. I've already given up most of my bad habits (smoking, caffeine) so I figure the hardest part is over!

We've totally got this!

Oh, I feel like tracking everything on My Fitness Pal has really helped. I'm angierue on there if you want to follow me!

I picked my healthy goal of 130 ish since when I was in really good shape- exercising two hours a day that us about where I was.

But my dream is to be 120-125. And I will strive to get there. But if I get to 150, 135. And then 130 I will have achieved the first goals.

I come from a family legacy of short round people. It's tough out there to break out and keep it off.

All of my adult life I have been overweight...On every diet and every trip to weight watchers I have said my goal was 150...so that's what I put on my ticker. For the past month I have been between 150-154 (I saw 149.7 on the scale for a about an hour! :) )

Now that I am here, I think I want to lose about 10 more lbs if possible...this will put me solidly in the "normal BMI". I'm good if I don't, but it will be interesting to see what "Normal" looks like on me! My surgeon never said anything about a goal...I see him next week for my 6 month follow up and I am interested to see what he thinks of my progress and where I should go from here.

I have hit so many "I've never been here before!" goals....size medium shirts, size 6 pants (even though this is probably vanity sizing), collar bones that show, crossing my legs and having my calves touch....I have discovered that these small goals felt better than seeing the elusive 150 on the scale!

I am aiming for 135. I am 5 2 but that weight puts me at an 8/10 which is perfect. I want some boobs and butt