Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My leak healed i am seeking help for after healing life

hi everyone,

I am from Saudi Arabia so excuse my bad English. I had a sleeve surgery in Feb. 2014 and had leaking complications, been in a comma for a month, got intubated and stayed in the hospital for six monthes then my doctor installed a stent that healed the leaking.

my problem now is that my musceles are wasted and i feel like a baby when i walk, i feel general fatigue all due to the long stay in bed at the hospital. is that gonna be long till i gain my health back? and about food tolerance, should try to eat all kind of food to make my stomach get used to all types of food? ..

i hope someone can answer me ...

love to you all ... thanks for this wonderful forum

In the US there would normally be a rehabilitation phase to help you gain your strength back, after such a very long hospital stay. First, so happy for you that you made it through this crisis. Hope the healing continues. But more importantly, were you not given any eating guidelines now that you are healed and back home? What type of post op support is being provided to you?

In the US there would normally be a rehabilitation phase to help you gain your strength back, after such a very long hospital stay. First, so happy for you that you made it through this crisis. Hope the healing continues. But more importantly, were you not given any eating guidelines now that you are healed and back home? What type of post op support is being provided to you?

thank you for your reply and your feelings, yes i have feeding guidlines such as eating phases from Clear liquids to regular food. but my problem is that the stent installed caused some kind of narrowing in esophagus area so Clear Liquids are mostly tolerated. I had a couple of endoscopy sessions of dialtation and its been only a week since i started hard stuff like crackers and nuts but still didnt go for cooked food like stews or pastas.

by the way, i will be seeking a physiothreaputic plan in our hospitals but sometimes i tell myself the more you move the better you get. i dont know if i really need rehab or not ..

Hi there - I'm so sorry you've been through so much, but so glad you made it through it all!

I have no medical qualifications to advise you on rehab or eating, but just recommend that you stick closely with your doctor's orders - just be safe and patient and take care of yourself. In time you will heal and be able to live normally again.

Glad you reached out - I wish you well in your healing and with your new sleeved life!

Best wishes for a full recovery!!! The only advice I can give is to follow your doctor's orders exactly with regard to eating and exercise. Supervised rehabilitation can give you directions in just how far you need to push to regain your strength. Keep us posted!!

Hi there - I'm so sorry you've been through so much, but so glad you made it through it all!

I have no medical qualifications to advise you on rehab or eating, but just recommend that you stick closely with your doctor's orders - just be safe and patient and take care of yourself. In time you will heal and be able to live normally again.

Glad you reached out - I wish you well in your healing and with your new sleeved life!

thank you very much for your wishes.. i wish you the best too

Best wishes for a full recovery!!! The only advice I can give is to follow your doctor's orders exactly with regard to eating and exercise. Supervised rehabilitation can give you directions in just how far you need to push to regain your strength. Keep us posted!!

my doctor wants me to live a normal life! i know myself that i am pushing through to get to normal life .. but i think maybe i need help, i dont know whether my body will recover without rehab and my daily activity will do the job instead.

thank you so much anyways for your time and reply.

That's great that your doctor wants you to do that but what are they giving you in terms of help? I understand this point, but what about a PICC line until you can eat? banana bags? At this point, I am quite concerned that doctors should be taking the lead in helping you. I'm not sure I get that feeling.

I would say going from soft moist foods at this point would be good but we're missing a MAJOR issue here: culture. I am not a Muslim and don't want to tell you to eat something that is "haram"? I think is the word. I don't know what is usually available to you in terms of foods that you normally eat in your country. I have friends from India and their "daily diet" is different from mine. The veggies and fruits available here in the states or even Canada is different from Saudi Arabia. Do they have nutritionists there to help?

Please know that no matter what religion, we are all here to cheer you on and support you at least mentally and emotionally as best we can. The Arabian Peninsula, from what I understand, has a growing populace with obesity issues. To take this step, requires courage. Its tough as in America, the focus and support is different and is more wide and varied. May the step you took work out.

:)

That's great that your doctor wants you to do that but what are they giving you in terms of help? I understand this point, but what about a PICC line until you can eat? banana bags? At this point, I am quite concerned that doctors should be taking the lead in helping you. I'm not sure I get that feeling.

I would say going from soft moist foods at this point would be good but we're missing a MAJOR issue here: culture. I am not a Muslim and don't want to tell you to eat something that is "haram"? I think is the word. I don't know what is usually available to you in terms of foods that you normally eat in your country. I have friends from India and their "daily diet" is different from mine. The veggies and fruits available here in the states or even Canada is different from Saudi Arabia. Do they have nutritionists there to help?

Please know that no matter what religion, we are all here to cheer you on and support you at least mentally and emotionally as best we can. The Arabian Peninsula, from what I understand, has a growing populace with obesity issues. To take this step, requires courage. Its tough as in America, the focus and support is different and is more wide and varied. May the step you took work out.

:)

You reply is such a delight :).. I used to eat whatever comes in my way:D except for pork which is not available in our country and is "Haram" means forbidden by religion. We have imported veggies and fruits so we have easy access to pretty much everything.. think of Dubai for example.

I am so glad that you're trying to help me regardless of my religion and race, that should be the trending attitude these days. I respect who you are and where you come from and what religion you follow regardless of anything.

my little problem now is how to adapt with the new eating habits and new lifestyle, how to eat, chew, swallow, and what portions are allowed. what kinda spoon shpuld i use? big or small? shall i have a mouthfull or a tiny bite? all these Q's are in my mind right now ..

Thanks for your kindness and time ... peace and love ...

Well here is why I ask, is that we have tiny appetizer spoons and forks, and that is what I use. Same for dishes. We have 4x4 plates that help us starting out. Tiny bites at first. I dont know if you have cups like we do, that are only 1 ounce in size. That helps you to drink at first and to eat.

I'd go for whatever lean Proteins there are there. That first. Anything that you can cook soft also. I love dates big time, and figs aren't bad either but those are bit harder on the stomach. What can you get that you can cook soft or make kinda mushy?