Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kristen's Journey From Pre-Op and Beyond

How is the Whole30 plan going? I've been considering it, but I'm not sure I can give up my daily yogurt and night glass of red.... ????

How is the Whole30 plan going? I've been considering it, but I'm not sure I can give up my daily yogurt and night glass of red.... ????

It's going very well so far. I actually feel better than I have in a long time. While I miss a lot of foods, especially yogurt and cheese sticks, my congestion and some skin issues have cleared up in only a few days. I have more energy. I LOVE the taste of the foods my husband and I have made. I've realized I still have an attachment/addiction to some foods (chocolate, ice cream, Splenda) that needs to be broken. Like breaking any addiction it's not easy, but I know it will be worth it! Here is a look at some of the meals we ate this week:

post-233184-14336085375634_thumb.jpg post-233184-14336085486763_thumb.jpg post-233184-14336085820474_thumb.jpg post-233184-14336085917606_thumb.jpg

These are my legs!! ????

post-233184-14337075159702_thumb.jpg

You are looking so good. Congrats on your journey so far. Is the w30 a paleo thing?

I'm 11 days post op. What do you think are the most significant things that have contributed to your success? Bobbi (Kiwichick)

You are looking so good. Congrats on your journey so far. Is the w30 a paleo thing?

I'm 11 days post op. What do you think are the most significant things that have contributed to your success? Bobbi (Kiwichick)

Yes, Whole30 is a strict paleo diet. 100% clean eating with no processed foods, sugar, sugar substitutes, dairy, grains, legumes, or alcohol. So approved foods are meat, vegetables, some fruits and fats.

One thing I've done consistently is start and end my day with a 20 oz cup of hot tea. I did this from day 1 of my pre-op diet and continue up to today. It automatically gets me 40 oz of Water each day so it makes getting at least another 20 during the course of the day really easy.

Another thing I try to do consistently is choose Protein first every time. I would say I do this 90% of the time. But life gets in the way and I've gone off track a few times. When I do this I try not to beat myself up. I'm not on a "diet". I made the decision to eat that ________ (fill in the blank). Then I make sure the next decision is a better one.

Before Whole30 I always had certain items on hand that would keep me on track - cottage cheese singles, cheese sticks, boiled eggs, beef Jerky, Protein Bars, etc. I know my biggest trigger is being stressed and unprepared at work. If I forgot to make boiled eggs for a quick Breakfast I would grab a cottage cheese. If I get lightheaded at work because I haven't eaten enough I always have a Protein Bar in my desk. So knowing my triggers and being prepared for them has been very helpful.

Now on Whole30 it's a little more difficult to have approved Snacks on hand. I make a giant frittata on Sunday and cut it into a portion I can grab and take to work to heat up. snack is usually blueberries or a banana. Today I had some nuts. lunch is leftovers from the day before and dinner is whatever scrumptious recipe my hubby decided to try.

I miss cheese. A lot. And Splenda...but I've got to work through these addictions. I made it through the first week easily but I have a feeling the next week is going to be the hardest. While my husband and I enjoy cooking, it's a lot of work. Lots of prep and cleaning. But the food tastes better than any takeout our town offers. But I still miss the convenience of picking up some grilled chicken or a rotisserie some days. Thank goodness for my crockpot!!!

Thank you for sharing your journey, gives me a lot to think about. I definitely have an addiction for sugar and any sugar subs. That is something I have conquer :-)

Today was a very difficult day. At 9:00 am I get an email at work that there is Orange Creamsicle Cake in the fridge. No big deal. I had my frittata. I'll avoid going in the kitchen. By lunch it will be gone. Work is super busy, non-stop and I can't take a lunch at my normal time of 11:00. I'm getting hungry. At 1:00 a woman who is known in town for being one of the best cooks and bakers donates TWO more cakes to our bank - a homemade Apple Cake and Coconut Pound Cake. ???? I had to run upstairs, grab my lunchbox and run out as fast as possible. Everyone was in the kitchen digging in and saying how yummy it was. ???? I took my lunch to my parent's house. It was delicious leftover chicken with pineapple salsa. After I was done eating I went to try on some clothes my mom left for me. They all fit. Comfortably. It was a mixture of size 10/12. I had a little breakdown in my old bedroom. The feeling I got from zipping those pants up was so much better than the feeling I get when I eat cake. That feeling only lasts as long as the cake. Then when it's gone I feel terrible for hours, sometimes days. The high I got from my accomplishment lasted the rest of the day.

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1423446640.441155.jpg

Before and after. Less than 50 pounds to my goal weight!

You look freaking gorgeous!

Aw, thanks! I've changed even more since that "after" pic. Gosh, it's hard to think what I'll end up looking like. I'll post an updated picture soon ????

post-233184-14346791913652_thumb.jpg

115 pounds difference. My glasses and nose look so much bigger ????

I went through my closets and purged them of my clothes. I wasn't convinced my 16's were too big so I made myself try them all on. They are big. Quite big. I'm most definitely a 10/12. In fact, I wore size 11's to work today and I felt really cute. I still can't wrap my head around it.

My energy levels are double what they were before Whole30. It will be interesting to see how my body reacts as I reintroduce certain foods. I may not go back to dairy. I think it caused many of my skin problems and congestion.

Wow. Today is Day 22 of Whole30. The month kind of flew by. Here's some of the amazing food my hubby and I have been eating all month:

post-233184-14350193644104_thumb.jpg post-233184-14350193884034_thumb.jpg post-233184-14350194084424_thumb.jpg post-233184-14350194289061_thumb.jpg post-233184-14350194496257_thumb.jpg post-233184-14350194684608_thumb.jpg

Edited by krisrpaz

Whole30 was a huge success for the month of June!! It was a LOT of planning, shopping, cooking and cleaning, but the results more than make up for it.

I lost 10 pounds for the month of June. So I've lost 87 since I started my pre-op diet last October and 116 since my highest weight. I'm only 14 pounds from my goal weight!!!

Inches lost in June:

Neck - 1/2

Under boobs - 1/2

Waist - 1 1/2

Hips - 2

Arm - 0

Thigh - 1

Total inches lost since October:

Neck - 2 1/2

Under boobs - 9 1/2

Waist - 11 1/2

Hips - 13

Arm - 3 1/2

Thighs - 5 1/2

post-233184-14357515175909_thumb.jpg

I'm going to share my before and after pics I've been taking each month. This is October 1 vs July 1. 9 months, 8 months since surgery.

post-233184-14357517548426_thumb.jpg post-233184-14357517715727_thumb.jpg post-233184-14357517885459_thumb.jpg

Edited by krisrpaz