Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kristen's Journey From Pre-Op and Beyond

So surgery was Monday, November 3. I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this journey. There were a few hiccups along the way but nothing that ever made me regret my decision.

When we first arrived at the airport I called Victor but he said he was going back to TJ and would send another driver. Samuel picked us up and took us on a tour of San Diego while waiting for two more people.

Once we got to the Marriott we were checked in and got to our room. We waited a bit but never met a patient advocate. This made me nervous since I had no idea what time to be ready in the morning. I couldn't call from my hotel room because I didn't have the local number. I ended up texting Victor who got in touch with Sandra. She showed up within 15 minutes and explained somehow I was put on the wrong list. This made me a little nervous but was happy at least they found me and I was still scheduled for the next day.

The Marriott was wonderful in every way. They are very attentive and helped with any request we had. Their broth hit the spot!

At the hospital the only issue I had was waiting over six hours for surgery. After waiting six hours I had a little nervous breakdown because I realized it was dark outside and I thought the doctor would be tired when he operated on me. I also thought maybe because I was on the wrong list at the hotel that he was overbooked and overworked and I didn't want to be the last one to be operated on. I'm sure the lack of food for 3 days contributed to that but they finally took me to the OR and gave me medicines to relax. They explained that they save the easiest for last and I was the only one that day who wasn't some type of revision and I had no other co-morbidities. After I met with Dr. Lopez and gauged his alertness I felt more confident.

I feel bad for the girls in the recovery room. I can only remember dry heaving, moaning and fighting with the oxygen mask constantly. I think they had to give me lots of drugs to calm me down.

My recovery went better than expected. I did have some gas pain in my chest but I worked on walking and breathing deeply each day and it has gotten better. I got what feels like a bubble stuck in my chest when I would drink despite taking small sips but this only lasted about five or six days.

I did have diarrhea for 7 days though. That was rough but it helped get a lot of gas out! My MIL got me some kind of herbal tea that helps relieve gas and it was magical.

I had a fever for a few days post op. I think two of my incisions were very slightly infected but I showered every day and my MIL would clean them with alcohol, put antibiotic ointment and new bandages. They look pretty good now.

Day 6 post op was the magical day I finally gained my independence and didn't have to rely on someone to help me out of bed or dry me after a shower.

I have decided to take part in "No Weigh November" because I would like to avoid the dreaded 3 week stall so I will not be weighing until December 1st.

Update:

HW: 290

SW: 260.8

CW: 225.2

I lost 13.8 on my pre-op diet and 21.8 since surgery so I'm down a total of 35.6 lbs.

Measurements:

Neck - from 15' to 14' = 1 inch

Below breasts - 45' to 40' = 5 inches

Hips - 53' to 47' = 6 inches

Arms - 16 1/2' to 15' = 1 1/2 inches

Thighs - 27 1/2' to 26' = 1 1/2 inches

I can't seem to push past 32 pounds. Lol I try not to get frustrated. I know it will come. And I feel great. So that's the important part. I'm about a week or so ahead of u at 10/23

I can't seem to push past 32 pounds. Lol I try not to get frustrated. I know it will come. And I feel great. So that's the important part. I'm about a week or so ahead of u at 10/23

Oh no. I'm waiting to hit the dreaded stall because the last time I was 220 my body stayed there FOREVER. I was never able to get below 217. I'm hoping to blow past it with no issues but deep down I have a feeling a stall is on the horizon!

Oh snap! I forgot to do my monthly update here. Sorry.

On 1/1/15 I weighed in at 217.2 for a total of 43.6 lost since I started my pre-op diet. I lost 8 pounds in December. Since my goal is 2 pounds a week I met my goal!

Measurements are very impressive. Let's do a comparison!

10/2/14

Neck - 15

Liver - 45

Waist - 45

Hips - 53

Arm - 16 1/2

Thighs - 27 1/2

1/1/15

Neck - 13 1/2

Liver - 39

Waist - 38

Hips - 45

Arm - 14 1/2

Thighs - 25

Total Lost

Neck - 1 1/2

Liver - 6

Waist - 7

Hips - 8

Arm - 2 (each)

Thighs - 2 1/2 (each)

NSV: Everyone has noticed my weight loss this week and told me I look just like my mom which is a major compliment. I'm so thrilled with my progress so far!

post-233184-14206596500841_thumb.jpg

Edited by krisrpaz

I thought I'd pop in here and give a little NSV update. So I'm 2 1/2 months out and I've been struggling with really seeing/feeling my progress. While my pants are hanging off of me, I still feel huge.

Well I went to my parent's house for dinner last night. I got down to my bra and panties to show my mom my deflated body and my squishy legs. Of course I was critiquing but she was so impressed with my progress. When I had my clothes back on I was walking to another room and I heard her tell my husband, "Look at her from behind. She looks like a different person!" That made me so happy.

Today I went shopping for a new bathing suit and some shorts and pants. I dread shopping. I've left so many times crying and depressed. Most times in the dressing room things wouldn't even go past my thighs or butt and I'd get them halfway up and give up. I'd try on 10-30 items and leave with none or one.

It was bizarre shopping in the non-plus size section. I kept gravitating towards the 2X and 18/20 clothes. I grabbed three pairs of pants, a pair of shorts, two shirts and six bathing suits. For the first time in my life every single item fit. And the pants and shorts were all size 14!! I got tears in my eyes because every bathing suit fit and I simply picked the one I liked the most, not just because it fit. Normally I settled for whatever fit and would feel fortunate I found one item. Now I can actually find clothes I think are cute! My bathing suit doesn't have a skirt or shorts. It's a NORMAL bathing suit. I haven't worn one of those since I was....I don't remember. A child?

Of course I'm not close to done with losing weight. I still have 50 pounds to go but these pants should last a month or two before they become huge.

Here's a pic of me in my shorts! Size 14. ????

post-233184-14215306064824_thumb.jpg

I love ready about your journey! Can o ask, how tall are you?

I'm 5'7. Thanks for reading!

post-233184-14220628136442_thumb.jpg

SUCCESS!! I accomplished something I've always wanted to do - paddle boarding! :-)

I can't imagine doing this 50 pounds ago. It requires a lot of balance and focus. The wind and current were really strong too. Woo hoo!!!

That is fabulous!! I love your spirit!! Thanks for taking the time to post your updates. For those of us not sleeved yet, you are a great positive force!

Thank you for sharing your journey! I am having my sleeve done on March 9 and have my endoscopy on Monday! Thankfully my insurance approval came through with flying colors! I am 5'7 and currently weigh 240 and I am so excited and ready for this surgery!! By the way you are looking fantastic!

Edited by Thankfulmomof3

Update! Weight as of February 1 was 208.6. That's a total loss of 52.2 and 81.4 since my highest weight!

2/1 Measurements

Neck - 13 1/2

Liver - 38

Waist - 37

Hips - 44

Arm - 14

Thigh - 24 1/2

Total Lost

Neck - 1 1/2

Liver - 7

Waist - 8

Hips - 9