Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kristen's Journey From Pre-Op and Beyond

I had my consultation with the plastic surgeon today. The first thing Dr. Weiss said after I told him I've lost 130 lbs. is, "Well you look great!" And I laughed and said, "Well yeah, with my clothes on!" He asked what my biggest concerns were and I told him stomach, boobs and side boobs (that bit that spills over the top sides of my bra).

After I got undressed he was impressed with the amount of excess skin I had. It was funny sitting there and him gathering and poking to see how much is skin. The good news is he said I can get away with an extended Tummy Tuck, I won't need a body lift (whew!). He said he should be able to remove nearly all of the loose skin, including my stretch marks on my stomach. He showed me where he would cut and I could not believe how high up he would be able to go. He said I should end up with a nearly flat stomach and he and his assistant said I have a very nice body shape/build because I'm a natural hourglass and under my loose skin is a small waist so I will avoid looking boxy like most tummy tuck patients. ????

He said there is quite a bit of loose skin in the breasts and showed me where the nipple should go. Again, I was surprised. We are talking about six inches or so. He also said I really REALLY need implants because I have zero upper breast. I'm basically pectoral muscles and then breasts below that. He wants to remove all the loose skin, some of my existing breast tissue and then put implants at the top where I'm completely lacking anything. Without them I can get a lift but will end up with the man boob look I'm dreading so much. Right now I'm a 36DDD and I told him I'd like to end up a 34DD. He also said he can easily fix the side boob issue with expanding the lower incision line.

I asked him about my back rolls and he said they are all loose skin. He basically said there is nothing to Lipo. I'm just skin! Which blows my mind because I still feel so fat when I look in the mirror. But he said that could be fixed later down the road if I decide to do any other surgeries.

He said there is an increased bleeding risk when there has been extreme weight loss which is defined as losing more than 60 lbs. However, he has never had to give anyone a transfusion and he is very confident I will have no issues since I've never smoked and my skin is in great condition. He does want me to have a CBC done to make sure I haven't developed anemia from bariatric surgery.

He said I could probably return to work after a few weeks if I'm sitting but I still plan on taking at least three, if not four. I can begin light cardio like walking after four weeks but no high impact exercise or lifting for many months. Also, no resistance exercise for many months although I can use my own body weight.

It will cost $8,150 for tummy tuck only or $15,310 for tummy tuck and breasts. He offered to repair the side boobs for free. The cost includes all post-op care and if I'm not happy with my results he will do a free revision. He said, "If you're not happy with the results, I'm not going to be happy with the results."

Now on to the mental/psychological part of this. I had a bit of a meltdown on the ride home. Part of it was because I made the mistake of listening to "Reflection" on the way home and started bawling. "Who is that girl I see, staring straight back at me? When will my reflection show who I am inside?" ???? So I did a lot of thinking. On one hand, I feel selfish for spending $15,000 on myself. I don't feel like I deserve it. I don't know why I feel that way. I also don't know why I feel so weird about implants. I've always had very large breasts. But I've always kind of thought of women who got implants as phonies trying to be something they aren't. Just accept your natural body! But now I'm trying to replace what I've always had. And now I'm becoming more understanding towards those who want/need plastic surgery. On the other hand, when I see myself in the mirror I can see my potential but I feel like I'll never feel complete until this excess skin is gone. I really want to finish my marathon and get the medal at the end, my new body.

Kristen I just read your entire thread and wow you go girl! This has helped me so much, I just got my surgery date of March 29th and also have pcos. My HW was 270+, CW 201 and GW 130. I'm only 5 3, so I rocked the oompaloompa look for quite some time. You have most definitely subsided the last shred of fear I had for going after my sleeve, and to be completely honest if our paths ever crossed I would have placed you in the lucky skinny club! Lol I am definitely going to continue lurking your progress and am ready to join you! You should never be ashamed, loose skin or not! You are gorgeous inside AND out and have been more inspirational to us beginners than you will ever know, and for that I thank you greatly!

Just read through a big part of this thread and really enjoyed seeing your journey. My HW was around 303 my SW was around 294 and I'm currently around 275. I had surgery on 2/12/16. You are an inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have not been on here for a few weeks which is not like me at all but I've had a lot going on in my life.

Two weeks ago my grandpa died suddenly so I had to quickly arrange to leave town and go to South Carolina for the viewing and funeral.

Last Wednesday I got a call from a man who said he was with my husband on the side of the road. My husband had been in an accident and rescue was on the way. I immediately left work and headed for the scene. It was about 20 minutes away. Long story but he ran into the back of a log truck while getting his Water bottle out of the passenger floorboard. The log went through the windshield, took his headrest off and hit the back seats causing them to collapse into the trunk. He walked away bruised and his face scratched up but he didn't need stitches and he has no broken bones. The trooper told me he was the luckiest guy alive. Because he was bending over the log simply grazed his shoulder and took a patch off of his shirt. I've been juggling an extremely busy time at work, running home to help care for him and change his dressings, help him shower, dealing with the insurance company, researching what replacement vehicle to get, etc. Today I was supposed to run a 5k but I felt it was more important to stay with him, get the house cleaned and mow the yard.

These past two weeks have been a blur. I haven't even weighed in two weeks so I have no idea where I am but I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow. I've been crying and have a lot of anxiety from almost losing my husband and juggling all these other responsibilities. There may have been some ice cream involved. And some chocolate. Next week is even more busy so I'm trying to take it day by day right now. Hopefully after next week I can get my head back in the game and focus on getting back to the gym or at least go grocery shopping and get back to cooking the majority of our meals.

Here was a picture of me before going to the funeral:

Car after crash:

Edited by KristenVSG2014

Wow. I'm just catching up on your journey. So thankful your husband is ok!!! And I'm so very sorry to hear about your grandfather. It's so natural to be stressed and get off track. Once things settle, you'll get back in your groove. Sending you lots of love.

Can anyone see the pics above? I'll repost.

post-233184-1457188790407_thumb.jpg

post-233184-14571888040003_thumb.jpg

No, they weren't showing before.

Oh my word!!! Your husband experienced a miracle, no doubt about it!!

And you look amazing!!!

Edited by DaisyAmy

So sorry for you loss, and so grateful that your husband is OK. That is A LOT to have happen...I would imagine that your emotions would be all over the place. Thanks for the update, and I'm lifting you and your family up in prayer. God bless you.

Yesterday my co-worker turned in his two week notice. He is my supervisor and my backup and only other person who knows how to do what I do in the office and now I have to take on all of his workload in addition to my already overwhelming workload.

I immediately scheduled an appointment with my PCP because I've been struggling with anxiety and depression for a year but even more so in the past few weeks. I knew that this news would send me in a downward spiral if I didn't address it. He prescribed me an anti-depressant but I'm really scared about taking anything that could potentially make me gain weight.

Oh yeah, I weighed and I'm 161.8 which is fine because I hover between 160-162. So that means I haven't gained any despite the last few weeks of eating off track a bit.

Wow, this medication is a bit hard to adjust to. The first three days I took it I had nocturnal panic attacks, severe nighttime sweating, and insomnia. That tapered off to only waking a few times a night then finally slept a whole night. I increased the dosage yesterday and it started the nighttime side effects all over again. My husband was worried because he found me hot and covered in sweat. Usually I'm always cold so I wear sweaters or sweatpants all the time. Now I've been sleeping in just a thin shirt or nothing because I'm so hot at night.

However, my anxiety has improved. Not so much that I'm jumping for joy but the constant worry, fear, tightness in my chest, cry at the sign of any stress isn't there as much. Maybe 60% improvement. But the doctor said it can take 6-8 weeks to see full effects. I'm hoping the side effects will taper off again and I'll be left with just the good.

Oh yeah! I weighed in at 159.6 so new low weight ????

I'm following your journey, which sounds so much like mine. I have PCOS, too, and depression an anxiety that gets pretty bad without treatment. I'm down 70 lbs since mid-July when I had my surgery and have 55 left to get to my goal weight of 150. I'm so glad that you documented all of this. It's very uplifting and gives me hope! Hang in there--we're all rooting for you!

I apologize I haven't posted lately. I got a new iPhone and it will not allow me to sign in. I can sign in on my Kindle but I don't use it very often. I hate typing on this thing.

I'm still maintaining and I have a consult with a different plastic surgeon in two weeks. I'm really looking forward to hearing his opinion. He is the chief plastic surgeon at UF and specializes in extreme weightloss patients.

Here is an updated before and after pic.

post-233184-14633575001567_thumb.jpg

Edited by KristenVSG2014