Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some questions from a newbie pre-op

Hi all! This is my first post on the forum. I've never joined any kind of forum before, but you guys seems so lovely and warm and supporting, so I couldn't help myself joining you :)

I am having my vertical sleeve 9.19.2014, you can imagine how excited I am. I am 216 lbs now, I am hoping to be 140-145. (I'm 29 years old)

I have some questions for you, if you can answer any of them, I would be very very very thankful.

1- I was never slimmer than 180 lbs (except my childhood). Sometimes I believe that goal of 145 is just impossible. What do you think?

2- If you believe that it's possible, (just a wild guess) how long will it take? A year? More then a year? Maybe some of you had your operation close to my weight, so you can compare/guess.

3- Any of you used to drink nutritional shakes like Ensure, Glucerna etc in the first days of your liquid diet phase?

4- What is your opinion about Protein Shakes?

5- This question is for you gals :) I forgot to record the date of my last couple of periods, so I have no idea when I will have it. I guess I won't be able to use any drugs to delay it. Would it be impossible to deal with a period if it occurs on my surgery date? Any suggestions about it?

6- My last and the most important question. A year or a couple of years later the surgery, do you start struggling with your hunger and appetite again? Like we all do before surgeries?

My worst fear is day by day gaining hunger and appetite again, after a few months...

Thank you all!

Great questions! I am Very similar to you (tad bit older ) and have the same worries! I am getting sleeved in 9/29! Good luck!!

Great questions! I am Very similar to you (tad bit older ) and have the same worries! I am getting sleeved in 9/29! Good luck!!

Thank you! Goodluck to you too! Hope we both do well <3

i started at 233, that was 11 weeks ago, now i'm at 187 and only 37 lbs from goal. it goes very fast. i would say WELL under a year, you will reach your goal.

shakes- the only ones i like now are either powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or Muscle MIlk Lite 100 pre-mixed. i bought a bunch of them pre op. most of what i liked then i don't now. obviously the ones like Unjury are probably a little more balanced for bariatric patients but any will work. during my 2 wk pre op DIET i was required to have 3-4 shakes a day and did either Unjury or Muscle Milk lite.

period- i read on this site that many gals experienced an unexpected visit within days of surgery. after 20 years of PCOS, having not ovulated spontaneously ONCE in that time, a week post op there it was. i have been fairly regular since and surprised! i went back on the pill because obviously, my fertility is returning (and I am done having my babies). if it arrives before your surgery, just inform the nurses when you arrive at the hospital. they have these little mesh underwear that they will give you to accomodate your needs.

hunger- i am finding myself HUNGRY this week due to hormones, but for the most part i follow a very regimented diet plan every day and plan out most of my intake each morning so there is no room for the unexpected. i am experiencing hunger now, at 11 wks out, but it is much different. it is NOT the stomach wrenching, twisting, growling thing i had before. it's more of a "Hello, i'm down here, could you give me something"?? very slight. i HOPE it will continue this way when i have it at all.

this is BY FAR the best thing i ever did. i regained my health. my surgery had very little to do with vanity or appearance, but my health was very bad at 38 and i took 13 pills the morning of my surgery. now i am taking only one (the birth control) and feel like a totally new person. wouldn't change it for anything!

questions

@@sycet

welcome welcome welcome to our "little" group (we keep getting "smaller" ;) )

you guys seems so lovely and warm and supporting :)

hmmmm, you don't know us yet :D - but we're all pretty nice ;)

hoping to be 140-145. (I'm 29 years old)

?? important to know your height :wacko:

how long will it take? A year? More then a year?

LOL - if I had the answer to that popular question - I'd be rich!!! :D

sorry hun, no specific answer to your ? - we all lose weight in different time periods - never compare your progress to someone elses - it took me just under one year to lose 105 lbs reaching GOAL!!! others might take longer, or shorter time

drink nutritional shakes like Ensure, Glucerna etc in the first days of your liquid diet phase?

???? i never did, but others might have

opinion about Protein shakes?

yeach :wacko: I hated them - but they are essential - they have some premixed shakes in a can - ie Premier that i preferred over the powder

impossible to deal with a period if it occurs on my surgery date?

I have seen many OP on the board who have had their period DOS - didn't cause a problem (maybe they were bummed to have same day of surgery :blink: )

year or a couple of years later do you start struggling with your hunger and appetite again?

again, we are all different, i think many people do "struggle" a bit :( hunger issues did come to "haunt" me :wacko: but - follow all the rules you've worked with earlier - this is a lifetime battle/struggle - you must always be conscious of how much you eat, drink et al - being aware of "the problem" is half the battle :unsure: at 2.5 years (1.5 maintenance) i do have my periods/issues :wacko:

but i'm still standing (much taller now ;) ), very healthy and happy :)

good luck next week

speedy recovery :)

kathy

hmmmm, i just came back here, i don't know why side of my post is in blue!!!

Edited by proudgrammy

@@sycet

welcome welcome welcome to our "little" group (we keep getting "smaller" ;) )

you guys seems so lovely and warm and supporting :)

hmmmm, you don't know us yet :D - but we're all pretty nice ;)

hoping to be 140-145. (I'm 29 years old)

?? important to know your height :wacko:

how long will it take? A year? More then a year?

LOL - if I had the answer to that popular question - I'd be rich!!! :D

sorry hun, no specific answer to your ? - we all lose weight in different time periods - never compare your progress to someone elses - it took me just under one year to lose 105 lbs reaching GOAL!!! others might take longer, or shorter time

drink nutritional shakes like Ensure, Glucerna etc in the first days of your liquid diet phase?

???? i never did, but others might have

opinion about Protein shakes?

yeach :wacko: I hated them - but they are essential - they have some premixed shakes in a can - ie Premier that i preferred over the powder

impossible to deal with a period if it occurs on my surgery date?

I have seen many OP on the board who have had their period DOS - didn't cause a problem (maybe they were bummed to have same day of surgery :blink: )

year or a couple of years later do you start struggling with your hunger and appetite again?

again, we are all different, i think many people do "struggle" a bit :( hunger issues did come to "haunt" me :wacko: but - follow all the rules you've worked with earlier - this is a lifetime battle/struggle - you must always be conscious of how much you eat, drink et al - being aware of "the problem" is half the battle :unsure: at 2.5 years (1.5 maintenance) i do have my periods/issues :wacko:

but i'm still standing (much taller now ;) ), very healthy and happy :)

good luck next week

speedy recovery :)

kathy

i started at 233, that was 11 weeks ago, now i'm at 187 and only 37 lbs from goal. it goes very fast. i would say WELL under a year, you will reach your goal.

shakes- the only ones i like now are either unjury or Muscle MIlk Lite 100 pre-mixed. i bought a bunch of them pre op. most of what i liked then i don't now. obviously the ones like Unjury are probably a little more balanced for bariatric patients but any will work. during my 2 wk pre op DIET i was required to have 3-4 shakes a day and did either Unjury or Muscle Milk lite.

period- i read on this site that many gals experienced an unexpected visit within days of surgery. after 20 years of PCOS, having not ovulated spontaneously ONCE in that time, a week post op there it was. i have been fairly regular since and surprised! i went back on the pill because obviously, my fertility is returning (and I am done having my babies). if it arrives before your surgery, just inform the nurses when you arrive at the hospital. they have these little mesh underwear that they will give you to accomodate your needs.

hunger- i am finding myself HUNGRY this week due to hormones, but for the most part i follow a very regimented diet plan every day and plan out most of my intake each morning so there is no room for the unexpected. i am experiencing hunger now, at 11 wks out, but it is much different. it is NOT the stomach wrenching, twisting, growling thing i had before. it's more of a "Hello, i'm down here, could you give me something"?? very slight. i HOPE it will continue this way when i have it at all.

this is BY FAR the best thing i ever did. i regained my health. my surgery had very little to do with vanity or appearance, but my health was very bad at 38 and i took 13 pills the morning of my surgery. now i am taking only one (the birth control) and feel like a totally new person. wouldn't change it for anything!

Thank you both, thank you so much! That's all I wanted to know, your answers are greatly appreciated!

Hi all! This is my first post on the forum. I've never joined any kind of forum before, but you guys seems so lovely and warm and supporting, so I couldn't help myself joining you :)

I am having my vertical sleeve 9.19.2014, you can imagine how excited I am. I am 216 lbs now, I am hoping to be 140-145. (I'm 29 years old)

I have some questions for you, if you can answer any of them, I would be very very very thankful.

1- I was never slimmer than 180 lbs (except my childhood). Sometimes I believe that goal of 145 is just impossible. What do you think?

180's was my lowest before too, (lasted for about 5 minutes, lol) and I felt the same as you pre-op. I'm 47 and 5'6". Started at 235 a year ago. I hit 145, the top of my goal range about 7 weeks ago. If my old a$$ can do it, so can your young one! You may do it faster or slower, but you can totally DO IT!

2- If you believe that it's possible, (just a wild guess) how long will it take? A year? More then a year? Maybe some of you had your operation close to my weight, so you can compare/guess.

Everyone is different, see #1

3- Any of you used to drink nutritional shakes like Ensure, Glucerna etc in the first days of your liquid diet phase?

I prefer unjury, Isopure or Syntrax nectar. Also use a lot of Quest bars.

4- What is your opinion about Protein shakes?

Personally, I NEED to supplement Protein to get 75+ g per day. I prefer Unjury, Isopure or Syntrax Nectar. Also use a lot of Quest bars. I dump chocolate whey in my coffee and shake it up. Tastes like a mocha latte.

5- This question is for you gals :) I forgot to record the date of my last couple of periods, so I have no idea when I will have it. I guess I won't be able to use any drugs to delay it. Would it be impossible to deal with a period if it occurs on my surgery date? Any suggestions about it?

Don't have those parts anymore, but I'm sure it's not a deal breaker. They'll tell you to be prepared to "start" as a result of the shock of surgery anyway. It happens, I'm told.

6- My last and the most important question. A year or a couple of years later the surgery, do you start struggling with your hunger and appetite again? Like we all do before surgeries?

My worst fear is day by day gaining hunger and appetite again, after a few months...

I'm about a year out and I DO get hungry, but it's NOT the same. I don't struggle with over eating anymore. I eat what I like in small portions including any of my old favorites ON OCCASION. For the most part, I've learned to make my favorites in a healthy way, I use high protein Pasta, high protein P28 bread and protein supplemented Unjury cheese sauce. But I do indulge in the real deal occasionally by working it into my day AFTER I have met my protein goals.

4- What is your opinion about Protein shakes?

Thank you all!

I weighed 216 the day of my surgery on May 8th. 4 mos out I am 175. Down 41 lbs since surgery and down 56 from preop. I hope to be at goal in a year but I'm ok with it if it takes longer. I have 45-49 more to go depending on how I feel.

I stopped my period the day before surgery but they put me on heparin while in the hospital an guess why that started it back up again because it's a blood thinner. It sucked but I survived I had diarrhea my period and nausea for awhile. The nausea went away after a couple days.

Protein Shakes are a must in the beginning cuz you can't eat much. I liked muscle milk with some PB2 blended in it. It was like a chocolate Peanut Butter shake. Then once in awhile I will have the Premier Protein. I order it from Amazon because I don't have any place that carries it close by.

I do get hungry but it is a different kind of hunger. It more like gurgling and bubbles reminding me it's time. It's not a ravaging hunger where u want to rip somebody's face off if you don't eat soon. Lol. I feel more in control now than ever before over the hunger. It's not like before so I don't give in to bad things to feel satisfied. I know I will be satisfied now with a small salad, nuts, or a piece of fruit. Where before that would not have cut it.

If you do what your told you will hit goal. But don't compare yourself to others. We all lose differently.

Hi all! This is my first post on the forum. I've never joined any kind of forum before, but you guys seems so lovely and warm and supporting, so I couldn't help myself joining you :) I am having my vertical sleeve 9.19.2014, you can imagine how excited I am. I am 216 lbs now, I am hoping to be 140-145. (I'm 29 years old) I have some questions for you, if you can answer any of them, I would be very very very thankful. 1- I was never slimmer than 180 lbs (except my childhood). Sometimes I believe that goal of 145 is just impossible. What do you think? 180's was my lowest before too, (lasted for about 5 minutes, lol) and I felt the same as you pre-op. I'm 47 and 5'6". Started at 235 a year ago. I hit 145, the top of my goal range about 7 weeks ago. If my old a$$ can do it, so can your young one! You may do it faster or slower, but you can totally DO IT! 2- If you believe that it's possible, (just a wild guess) how long will it take? A year? More then a year? Maybe some of you had your operation close to my weight, so you can compare/guess. Everyone is different, see #1 3- Any of you used to drink nutritional shakes like Ensure, Glucerna etc in the first days of your liquid diet phase? I prefer unjury, Isopure or Syntrax nectar. Also use a lot of Quest bars. 4- What is your opinion about Protein shakes? Personally, I NEED to supplement Protein to get 75+ g per day. I prefer Unjury, Isopure or Syntrax Nectar. Also use a lot of Quest bars. I dump chocolate whey in my coffee and shake it up. Tastes like a mocha latte. 5- This question is for you gals :) I forgot to record the date of my last couple of periods, so I have no idea when I will have it. I guess I won't be able to use any drugs to delay it. Would it be impossible to deal with a period if it occurs on my surgery date? Any suggestions about it? Don't have those parts anymore, but I'm sure it's not a deal breaker. They'll tell you to be prepared to "start" as a result of the shock of surgery anyway. It happens, I'm told. 6- My last and the most important question. A year or a couple of years later the surgery, do you start struggling with your hunger and appetite again? Like we all do before surgeries? My worst fear is day by day gaining hunger and appetite again, after a few months... I'm about a year out and I DO get hungry, but it's NOT the same. I don't struggle with over eating anymore. I eat what I like in small portions including any of my old favorites ON OCCASION. For the most part, I've learned to make my favorites in a healthy way, I use high protein Pasta, high protein P28 bread and protein supplemented Unjury cheese sauce. But I do indulge in the real deal occasionally by working it into my day AFTER I have met my protein goals.

I weighed 216 the day of my surgery on May 8th. 4 mos out I am 175. Down 41 lbs since surgery and down 56 from preop. I hope to be at goal in a year but I'm ok with it if it takes longer. I have 45-49 more to go depending on how I feel.

I stopped my period the day before surgery but they put me on heparin while in the hospital an guess why that started it back up again because it's a blood thinner. It sucked but I survived I had diarrhea my period and nausea for awhile. The nausea went away after a couple days.

Protein Shakes are a must in the beginning cuz you can't eat much. I liked muscle milk with some PB2 blended in it. It was like a chocolate Peanut Butter shake. Then once in awhile I will have the Premier Protein. I order it from Amazon because I don't have any place that carries it close by.

I do get hungry but it is a different kind of hunger. It more like gurgling and bubbles reminding me it's time. It's not a ravaging hunger where u want to rip somebody's face off if you don't eat soon. Lol. I feel more in control now than ever before over the hunger. It's not like before so I don't give in to bad things to feel satisfied. I know I will be satisfied now with a small salad, nuts, or a piece of fruit. Where before that would not have cut it.

If you do what your told you will hit goal. But don't compare yourself to others. We all lose differently.

You helped a lot Teshadb and Bikrchk!

Countdown has started for me, it's less than a week now till my sleeve.

And my nervosity is almost gone :)

You are going to do great! It's major surgery, so be patient with your body. Stay hydrated first over anything else the first couple weeks home. I wish you all the best. Soon you will be on the losing side with the rest of us :-)

You are going to do great! It's major surgery, so be patient with your body. Stay hydrated first over anything else the first couple weeks home. I wish you all the best. Soon you will be on the losing side with the rest of us :-)

I can't wait for it! I hope in a year, I will be sharing my "after" photos <3