Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I've been dealing with being overweight for the last 13 or so years. The only time I was under 200lbs in the past 13 yrs is when I was sick and lost almost 120lbs. But that was 4 years ago. I have been on this Gastric Sleeve Surgery journey for about 2 months. I've completed all the things I was required by Humana PPO (Medicare). It wasn't as extensive as I thought it would be. Sooo, as of yesterday, I'm waiting for the results of my psy eval and then insurance approval, etc. I have no ideal how long this wait is going to be, but God knows I'm ready to get this stage over with.

I want this surgery so bad. I've tried dieting and working out, phentermine, and nothing is working. I'm ready to get rid of the back pain due to the weight pressing. I'm looking forward to having energy, running, and doing more things with my family!

My starting weight in this journey was 243 and I'm 236 now. I can only imagine where I will be after the surgery. I thank God I have a strong support system with my doctors, my husband, son, parents, and my brother Eric.

post-231564-0-93976000-1409933170_thumb.jpg

Welcome!!! I started my journey on July 3rd,2014..my insurance only required me to do labs, nutrition seminar and a psych evaluation. I'm all done with those things and in August 28th I received my approval from my insurance. It actually only took me 2 days to get my approval. The longest waiting time was my surgeons office receiving my psych evaluation which was about a week and a half. I had to keep calling them and then we found out that the psych office had the wrong fax number..lol..but if u end up waiting for too long I would greatly encourage u to continue calling them and stay in them about it. My surgery date is 9/15...good luck to you on your journey

Hi. I've been going through this process for approximately 2 months, but have been wanting this surgery for over a year now! I had to postpone thing because I went through a phase without insurance due to relocating and a job change. I'm currently awaiting approval from my insurance company and Im praying they approve my surgery. This is something I'm very committed to doing. My only issue is deciding between the sleeve and the lapband. My current weight is 230lbs and my goal weight is 165/170. I don't wavy the drastic weight loss of a sleeve nor do I want to wait to have children for 2 years, but I do want something that guarantees results and long-term success.

I started July 8, 2014 beautysleeve559 and I was required the same things that you listed. I pray that I get a fast approval like you did. If I find myself waiting too long, I'll do as you said and call and see what's up. Thanks for the advice.

Doingitforme29, I went through that. I was going to try this surgery about a year ago, but had an insurance change. I was going to do the band at first, but after the seminar, I decided to do the sleeve. I heard more disadvantages of having the band than the sleeve. But that's me. If you haven't, do a lot of research before making a final decision. Weigh the pro and cons if you haven't. Keep me posted. Maybe we can support one another.

Hi, I started my journey 5/2014. My insurance requires I do 3 months of diet, psych, etc. I had to start again in July because the prior surgeon said he was covered under my insurance and turned out he is not. Anyhow, one more visit 10/9/14 and then I start my approval wait. I really want the sleeve surgery but I am starting to feel selfish about spending the money on it especially since I had to start over and pay all the dr and diet fees again. My husband says no worries but...did anyone else have second thoughts (even if not because of the $$)?

@@peachpie1 what influenced your decision to get the sleeve instead of the band? I'm doing the research and I'm really torn between the two. My husband is very supportive of the lapband for reasons such as: it being reversible, less invasive, and doesn't require a long waiting period to start trying to conceive, and doesn't produce a drastic weightloss. He is adamantly against the sleeve as he thinks it will make me lose too much weight.

@ onephatmom My insurance only requires me to submit three years of height and weight records or dated photos. I submitted dated photos to my surgeons office yesterday and I'm just awaiting approval. The downside to the minimal pre approval requirements is that my insurance only covers it at 50% so we're looking at 1057.00, which isn't too bad. Are you getting the sleeve or the band! I'm praying I get approved!!!

Honestly, I started this journey wanting the band. I attended multiple seminars and support groups before I stepped foot in the surgeon's office. After hearing all the complications from the band, I decided it was too risky for me. There were 2-3 people in each group who had erosions, slippage, etc. they were back trying to now get the sleeve. So I decided the sleeve had less complaints and better results. I also liked that I wouldn't have to spend so much time at the dr office each year making adjustments.

been on this Gastric Sleeve Surgery journey for about 2 months.

@@peachpie1

welcome, welcome and welcome :)

always nice to have a new pretty/smiling face move into the neighborhood :)

lovely pre-op picture you posted :)

pictures taken periodically are great

"seeing" yourself get smaller over the months ;)

taking measurements often are also very important and helpful :)

I can see B) you are a smart cookie since you choose the great sleeve :)

(i'm alittle biased) ^_^

wonderful that you have a family full of supporters :)

read, read and read as you are waiting for surgery

this board is wonderful :)

you'll find many people on this board have many different docs/and nuts

its great to hear others advice about "things", eating, etc.

we've all been where you are

we love to answer questions

especially yours!!!

but........at the end of the day ALWAYS listen to your doc/nut first and last

they are the ones in the "know"

but repeating ONLY listen to your doc/NUT and me :D :D

good luck with surgery

speedy recovery :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

want something that guarantees results and long-term success.

@@doingitforme29

egggggads bud :wacko:

there are only two guarentees in this world

death and taxes :wacko:

you and others WILL/should have great results during and after goal

as long as you ALWAYS, ALWAYS follow the many rules that go along with any WLS (sleeve, lapband, bypass etc.)

for me, the sleeve was the best

of course i'm biased at 2.5 years PO and GOAL :)

the sleeve, bypass, lapband will be there to assist you

You work with "it" and "it" will work with/for you :)

no guarentees :angry:

whatever decision you make, will be the right one for YOU :rolleyes:

good luck for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer life :)

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

@@doingitforme29 after hearing and reading about all of the problems people are having out of the band was one reason I chose the sleeve. There's been a lot of reports about slippage and erosion. I don't want to loose too much weight just as you, but I know that with my nationalist, I will be able to balance my eating to reach and maintain the weight that I desire. This is because although a person have the sleeve, it's their eating habits and working out that maintains their weight loss. Yes, it makes you less hungry, but at the end of the day, if I choose to override the "I'm full signals" or start eating a lot of the wrong stuff, the stomach can still stretch and the weight can come back. This is what happened to a friend of mine. She had the sleeve, but got extremely comfortable and returned to her regular eating habits. After putting back on a large amount of the weight, she had to start over in making the right food choices and working out more just to get the weight back off.
Another reason I chose the sleeve is because it was the safest for me to choose from and it's permanent. Because I've struggled with my weight since I had my son (soon to be 13), I really wanted something permanent.

@@proudgrammy Thank you "Sexy at Sixty!" :)