Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Nervous about hair loss

I have really thin hair already and I am very worried about Hair loss with the surgery. I have a job where I meet with clients on a daily basis and my hair being thinner scares me.

Anyone else have thin hair and dealt with hair loss? How bad did it get?

Thanks!

I'm looking at getting sleeved in December and this is a fear of mine as well. From what I've read if you take all your Protein and a supplement called Biotin (you can even get biotin Shampoo and conditioner on amazon) the Hair loss will be minimal. Plus it's only for a few months then it goes back to normal.

I was sleeved in May 2014, and have had no consequences at all, EXCEPT FOR hair LOSS. That's the only problem I've had with this entire process. I have thin hair also, and noticed it getting thinner about 5 weeks ago. Now, it's so very thin I can hardly style it so that my scalp doesn't show. I eat 60+ grams of Protein each day, I take 5000 mg of Biotin each day, as well as many other multi-Vitamins and supplements and I've still lost so much hair. I'm very scared too. I chose to do this whole process to hopefully feel better about myself....and I do feel better about myself... until I look in the mirror and see my hair. It's really thin.

I made an appointment to see a dermatologist next week just to see if I can do anything else to stop or slow down the Hair loss, and hopefully start growing hair back again. I know hair goes through cycles, and their may not be much I can do until the cycle ends. I'm sure this hair loss is temporary, but I have to do something in the meantime. I also have a job where I see clients each day and I have to look professional. I wouldn't mind having a hair piece or wig to use till my hair starts growing back, but I don't want it to look like a wig. From what I've read from others on this site, the hair loss can keep happening for several months. I won't have ANY hair left if this keeps happening. Any suggestions or thoughts from others are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Find a nice wig and take it to your stylist. Have the wig cut and styled on your head and have it on standby. No need to worry about it. You can do everything right and still experience Hair loss. Prepare yourself ahead of time and if / when it happens you won't have to stress about it - because that added stress won't help matters.

Edited by BitterSweet*

Oh me, too. My dermatologist said I have already lost about half my hair. I had anemia and also a complete hysterectomy (etc) and chose no hrt. So my skin is dry and my hair is falling off! This will probably finish it off! If I have to get a wig do be it... Better than dying of obesity!

This is definitely one of my bigger concerns as well. My hair is definitely a vanity point as it is currently (pre-op) the thing I most like about myself. Going to do everything in my power to keep it, but if I have to lose my hair along with my weight, so be it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches