Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled next week w/ Dr. Rumbaut any advice?

I am officially scheduled next Tuesday October 19. I must fly in on Sunday , pre-op on Monday, surgery on Tuesday -one day in hospital and one and a half days at the hotel. Home Friday. I am hopeful in a huge way that this will be the help I need to finally succeed at healthy permanent weight-loss. I am on the other hand frightened something will happen. Like I have stated before --I do have three kids who need me. I am also going alone-- which Doralisa( the coordinator )told me half of the patients do come alone and I should be just fine. I am interested to know after surgery do they give you bottled Water to drink in the hospital?????should I bring my own to be sure? I

have had two c-sections and know I am soooo dry after and only want water , water, water ! the first day.

Also , once back at the hotel what did you do to get food or rather the liqiuid diet you need before you go home? I want to be as prepared as possible for anything I need to do to take care of myself while there especially since I will be alone.

If anyone had surgery with Rumbaut can you give me some of your advice? I would really appreciate it!

I'm not a Rumbaut patient, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck! Have you checked the old posts? There should be tons of info. about your dr. and about traveling to Mexico for surgery. Be sure you pack very, very light since you will not have anyone to tote your baggage for you.:D

Kelly Ann,

Congrats!

I'm a Rumbaut patient. He and his staff are absolutely fantastic. I wouldn't worry about bringing Water to the hospital. There's a few places left in Mexico that have iffy Water, but most of Mexico now has American water purification systems n' stuff. I've been to many places in Mexico and never gotten sick. Or, if you were worried that you wouldn't be able to get a nurse when you got thirsty, the nurses are in there every 2 hours and they will give you whatever you need. Unless I had less pain than I thought, I am pretty sure they give you pain medication every 2 to 4 hours in your IV to make sure you are comfortable. The worst part was drinking Mallox (Melox in Mexico) every couple of hours. It's super chalky :D.

Ooh, after your pre-testing n' whatnot, Dorlisa sends a basket of new-bandster-friendly goodies to your hotel. V8juice, broth, etc.

Like said above, since you are going alone, pack SUPER light. I had someone with me, but I carried my backback (when he would let me), and that was enough for me. At that point most of the pain that was left was in my new port area. Make sure to keep the pain pills they give you handy. They dont' make you groggy or anything, so taking them before going to the airport shouldn't be a problem.

The hotel staff is great. They know all about Dr. Rumbaut. If you tell the drivers you need to see him they know right were to go.

Anywho, let me know if I can answer anything else for you:)

Take an abdominal binder, and a small pillow to hold over your tummy for a splint, it makes the plane ride bearable, and tell them at the airport counter, that you just had surgery, they'll put you in a wheel chair and get you right through so no standing in a long slow line, plus they'll let you board sooner so you can get seated. PACK LIGHT, you won't need much. I took a book on tape to listen to on the plane and at the hospital. GOOD LUCK!

Lots of us have posted threads on our Mexican experiences; check out old posts in the introductions & general discussion sections. Yeah, pack light, wear clogs & baggy clothes, and buy some good liquids for your pantry before you leave -- you probably won't feel like grocery shopping right after you get home. Good luck!

Kelly Ann, congrats on your surgery date. Dr. Rumbauts staff IS fantastic. They really do take care of just about everything. I wouldn't worry about bottled Water in the hospital. It is purified and tastes pretty good, but I found the Water at the hotel to be very chlorinated and nasty tasting. They do have bottled water at the McDonalds next door, it is more convenient than trying to carry it in your luggage. Dr. Rumbaut sends a basket of Soups, juices, gatorade, etc., so you will have what you need to sustain yourself post op.

Get some rolling luggage, pack light and bring comfortable clothing and slip on shoes. Shave your legs the night before. They accept American currency almost everywhere, so bring small denomination bills with you for tips and incidentals. The hotel van will bring you anywhere you want or need to go. The taxi ride back to the airport was about $25.00. This was the only time I had trouble exchanging american currency. The taxi driver didn't know the exchange rate and I wasn't too great at it myself!

One thing that really helped me was my little translator computer, since I don't speak much Spanish. It was about $15 at Wal Mart and was invaluable to me in MX. I also really enjoyed my travel pillow in the plane.

Best of luck to you, sweetie. Keep us posted. There is a computer room in the hotel, so if you feel up to it, you can log on to LBT to let us know how you're doing.

I loved my experience with dr. rumbaut and I am sure you will too! they have a gallon of bottled Water in the hospital. I dont think the water situation is a really big concern any more. You will be empressed with Monterrey. Good luck I was just there too and many before me. You are taking a step in the right direction.

andrea

I didn't need a binder or Water...none of the other patients needed them when I was there. I think a binder would have made me feel worse that I did without one.

You'll get a goodie basket. Are you going alone? If so, take as little as possible, because you'll probably want to check out of the hotel and then back in after surgery to save $100. (and you might want to do that anyway, because the hospital room will have room and a bed for a loved one.)

My advice: buy some neat fruit juices at the HEB maarket next door before your surgery, so you have a variety post-op.

How much does it cost to have the band done there? I am having insurance trouble?

Good luck!

Lauri

5'1" 235

the fee for the entire venture is $10,500. This does not include hotel and flight which were $80 per night at a Hampton Inn (Suite )room across from the hospital. The flight was $485 Continental Newark NJ through Houston to Monterrey, Mexico.

Hi Kelly Ann

I will nis you by one week I 'm leaving for surgery pn the 26th of Oct. and I'm comming back the the 30th. so keep in tuch.and good luck! I have a question thow dose anyone herd of or know if tourist card it gointo mexico. I have never herd of such a thing. Thanks Ellen