Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill or not to fill

Well...

I'd been having PB issues, and found that there's a few things I was trying to eat that weren't working for me that I didn't realize, and also that I needed to slow WAY down. Now that I've done that, I'm doing alright and I'm debating about getting a fill. I'm super tight in the morning. I had 3 bites of a Breakfast burrito yesterday and while I didn't PB I was kind of uncomfortable for a while. I'd actually previously sworn off breakfast, but every once in a while I'll try a bite or two. Anyway, lunch is a bit more food. Even more if I have coffee or tea in the morning. I guess it loosens me up. For dinner, I can eat 'normally'. Not 'preop' normal, but normal person normal :D. Example, I can eat a whole one of those Subway wraps (can't do the sandwich cuz of the bread). So here's the issue that I have in my head. I LIKE being able to eat as much as I am currently able to. But I know that I have more room that I could be tightened, and I would lose faster if I got that fill.

Does anyone ever feel like this? Stupid brain, always getting in the way.....

Sarah, when were you banded? That's an important bit of info. Let us know, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice!

Tighter doesnt always mean faster..that is one thing my Dr. stressed to me. He also told me just because I can eat more doesnt mean I should. He encourages me to first make sure I'm following the rules..protein first, daily Water , no drinking with meals, exercise etc..then he has me ask myself if I can honestly say that I have followed the rules and am still not losing 3 consecutive weeks then I need a fill..Are you losing still? Or is it just not fast enough for you? Thats the question you need to ask yourself....If it were me and I was losing something every week then I would not go for another fill that is just my feelings on it. I'm so afraid of being filled to tight that I'm taking this fill thing very slow. I have had 2 fills and am at 2cc's and I feel plenty of restriction and still losing every week sure I would like it faster wouldnt we all BUT just as tighter doesnt always mean faster...faster doesnt always mean healthier. My band is too important to me to risk being overfilled and doing damage to my esophogus or reflux

Good Luck :)

If you are already having PB issues, getting a fill will only make it worse.

You need to learn to work with your current fill. Also, if you are losing at your current intake, there is no reason to further suppress your metabolism by dropping your intake even further.

I know how tempting it is to try and go faster, but this isn't a race, and it isn't a diet - and as Michelle so aptly points out, tighter does not necessarily = faster. Better to go sanely and healthily - this is the rest of your life. Make changes gradually, and you are more likely to do better emotionally and physically.

Thanks guys for all of the input.

I've got my PB issues under control. My problem was eating too fast.

I was banded on 7/2/04, and got my first fill on 8/17, and I haven't actually lost anything since before that first fill. I wasn't doing much exersize, but I've started walking now, and I plan on doing the LA 5k thing in March, so I've got a goal to work myself up to.

I understand the theory of "Just because you can eat a certain amount doesn't mean you should", but I kind of wouldn't be here if I could control my willpower as regards to that better :).

I've schedule a fill for November 4th. That gives me a few weeks to decide, while still having it scheduled if I decide I need it so I don't have to wait that much longer.

Thanks guys!

Mari Mari ....

You and I could be twins when it comes to the desire to eat, not wanting to be cut off even more from something you enjoy spending time with, and that something is FOOD!

I was struggling with the same thoughts as you when I decided to just do it. I mean thats why I got the band in the first place. I could'nt seperate myself from the food... so the band does it for me. I must say it's doing a fine job of it too.

I reasoned with myself on getting the second fill. I told myself that I could always go back to the way it was before if I find that more restriction is too much restriction.

When I went in I told my Doc that I ate a 7 layer burrito (minus 50% of the tortills) for supper the night before he said, "You should'nt be able to eat so much of burrito." and got up to go get the saline solution for my fill.

That was 5 days ago and so far so good. I did and still am adjusting to this new level of restriction. I'm happy with my chocolate flavored protien/Iced Java drinks in the morning. And very small meals through out the day.

I have the same problem in the morning with alot of restriction in the mornings. I don't even enjoy hot coffee anymore it gives me indigestion.

Hope this helps!

TTFN

Thank you Lisa!

If nothing else it's sometimes good to hear(read) that other people have the same thoughts as you so you don't feel quite so crazy in the world. lol.

I've got my fill scheduled for the 4th, so I think I will just go and have it done. Like you said, I can always have it undone.

:)

Hey thanks for the comments. I was thinking it was just me that still has issues with over-eating habits. I moved my 2nd fill up a week to next Wed., and am hoping that I will experience better banding results. I get full easier than pre-banding, but it's still not what I had hoped.

Question - I see the doc on Nov. 8th and he is going to ask if I think I need a fill....how do you know? I think I might need one cuz I don't get full as fast....and can probably eat more. I usually stop when I "think" I've had enough! Is that how it should be? If I was banded on 9/24, is it too soon?

I know it's only 1/2 cc usually; but what do you think?

N*

Here is a great site to look at too see if you need a fill. It is very helpful

http://lapbandtransformation.com/Adjustments.htm.

For me I know I need a fill when I am eating more

Or If I have not lost 1-3 lbs a week in 3 consecutive weeks

I have my 3rd fill scheduled for the 15th in 2 weeks but I may cancel it. I made the appointment when I hit a tiny plateau last week but my weight loss has started again, however I am eating more the past few weeks. I just need an attitude adjustment more then a band adjustment. So my goal is to work on that the next 2 weeks!

Does your Dr. only do 1/2cc at a time? Most docs do not have a set fill ammount becasue every patients fill level is different. My first fill was 1.1 cc's and my 2nd fill was .9 cc's to make a total of 2cc's I have been at this level for almost 3 months now.

Wow, I had a full 2cc's right off the bat! And I'm considering another fill. I can eat quite a bit still. I have an appt next week. I have BP issues with certain foods and I avoid them. But give me a 4 cup salad with chicken breat and it's gone with room to spare.

Thanks Michelle...I guess maybe I assumed that the fill is always 1/2 cc.....but it is very individual. I will check out the site and see what I think afterwards....

thanks again...

Nancy

okay so my reply is to madamn so r u saying if you have too many fills that you can damage your esophogas? not sure on spelling. I too have only had two fills and am currently at 2 cc's please advise...

Magnolia