Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie looking for Oct sleevers!

Jmsgal, I see a difference in myself but not what others see. I still go look in the plus sizes at clothes. Maybe we should go and try our old clothes on and see if we feel differently.

Hello I was sleeved 10/4 and my weight was 360 pounds pre op 352 day of op and today I am 301 pounds I have lost 50 pounds its slow in my opinion but at least it is working. Congratulations to everyone loosing I am happy yayyyy

I am so glad to see people posting on this thread again! I have been wondering how everyone is doing. I am curious how everyone is eating. I have recently seen the nutritionist and was told I can eat "normal" This scares me!!! If I know what "normal" was, I don't think I would have put my self in a situation to need bariatric surgery! LOL!! I am just curious how and what everyone else is doing. Are you "dieting" or following a meal plan from your surgeon of some sort? I have been focusing on Protein but was told I need to begin eating more and not relying on Protein supplements as much at this point. Are you all avoiding carbs or fat? So many questions!!

[quote name="jmsgal"

Body image is a common issue on this site. Just remember you were probably plus size for some time, so it will take a while to accept the new you.

I posted on another thread that I have the opposite issue. Sometimes I think I am smaller then I really am, lol. I will pick up a size 12 and assume it will fit, only to find out.....ummm, not yet.????????

You have done very well, congrats.

@@Meonthelist, people also post on "October sleever's check-in". Not sure if you follow that thread.

I eat normal for the most part, the only thing I haven't tried is Pasta.

I do eat a little rice,potatoes(sweet & white) & quinoa. However, I am seriously considering eliminating the carbs altogether since my weight loss has been so slow, at least until I get closer to goal.

I find that old habits are starting to creep up. I know I am supposed to eat Protein first, then carbs/ veggies. But sometimes I find that I start with the veggies or carbs first, depending on what I'm eating. Nothing makes me sick which is both good and bad.

[quote name="jmsgal"

Body image is a common issue on this site. Just remember you were probably plus size for some time, so it will take a while to accept the new you.

I posted on another thread that I have the opposite issue. Sometimes I think I am smaller then I really am, lol. I will pick up a size 12 and assume it will fit, only to find out.....ummm, not yet.????????

You have done very well, congrats.

Thanks, I am working on embracing the new me. I bought two dresses with the hopes of one day wearing them, they looked way too small to me, but guess what they fit perfect! I went through my closet and removed three huge bags of clothes! I know I am a work in progress!

You will be at the12 soon!!!

I had the lap band for 2 years and it eroded .. I never cheated .. Measured every bite I took and followed all the rules . In October I was converted to a sleeve and my world is nuts . Any one else been converted and have any ideas to share ?

Hello fellow Octo sleever's we are approching 6 months out now and the weight loss is probably slowing down. So check in and let us know how you are doing onyour journey! Might just be the pick-me-up you are needing!!!

Down 110 pds since surgery. Have tons of energy. So far an amazing decision wish id done it years ago

6 month visit yesterday & the NP was pleased with my loss- I'm down 56% of my excess weight. I'm 52yo, 5'4"(was 5'5" before age 50). HW 279, SW 269, CW 189. Starting size 26, now Size 16-18(16 at old navy, 18 at Lane Bryant??). So excited to keep going.

Hey folks... a 10/10/2014 sleever here... thought I'd drop by with an update. My work and home life have been intensely busy lately, so I apologize for not popping back in sooner.

Few things... first... my starting weight was 484 and as of this morning I am at 334 --- so exactly 150 lbs lost today! Yes! My next stated goal is 325, so I'm 9 lbs from that... yes!! My last goal was 383 and was reached some time back. April 10th was my six month surgiversary, so I'm thrilled with where I am right now. More than 50% towards goal weight in just over six months... perfect!

I've been trying to walk more. I cannot do vigorous exercise due to an umbilical hernia, but I can walk... and I have been doing more of it than I had in the last many years combined. Trying to slowly increase the daily walk amount, but it's also turning warmer weather here... so I don't know how long i can keep that up.

I've been on several work and/or family trips in the past six weeks. I've encountered a phenomenon I now call "travel bloat." I tend to eat about the same... I bring some of the same nut and meat Snacks along with me on trips, and I still eat mostly Proteins and vegetables at restaurants. I am drinking a (fairly) decent amount of Water each day... but I've noticed on the last two trips (one was five days, the other eleven days) that I gained 2-3 lbs during each trip... but as SOON as I get home, I kick into a loss mode again, and within 2-3 days anything gained is gone, and then I lose a few more to make up for it... so it's kind of like a stall, but with a small uptick to go with it.

The longer trip was to Orlando for Disney, Universal, and Legoland... so I walked, and walked, and walked more than normal by ANY stretch of the imagination... yet somehow still gained those 2-3 "travel bloat" pounds. Not sure what I can do on the next trip to try to avoid it, but I'm looking for ideas.

I've been working at improving my daily Vitamin game, and if nothing else I *feel* so much better when I've been at it for several days in a row, so I've been working on that. I drink a pretty insane amount of coffee, it's obviously not having ANY negative impact on my weight loss at all. My coffee of choice is a Starbucks Latte (which is just espresso and milk) and I do not add anything to it. At home I brew black coffee and add some half-n-half, but I've learned to drink it with NO sugar added. I weaned myself before the surgery... used to be 1.25 to 1.5 tablespoons of sugar PER cup... down to just the "tip" of a tablespoon the week before surgery... down to the ZERO sugar I'm at now.

While I've never been a soda guy, I did (before my journey) enjoy an occasional coke or pepsi with a meal. So I've been buying these tiny 8oz cans of diet coke or diet pepsi and drinking those, no more than 3-4 times a week. The bubbles don't mess up my sleeve at all, and the fake sweet is a nice little treat.

Mostly, I eat meat and nuts and veggies these days. It's kind of a drab diet, but I really don't mind it and I feel AMAZING most days. When I'm in super-weight-loss mode I am kind of lethargic, and the next day when I step on the scale I can tell why... the other day I dropped 2.2 lbs from the day before. My doc says this is fairly normal, and may continue to around month 9 or 10. Go to Snacks for me are Jack Links Teriyaki beef Jerky (which uses less sugar than the peppered one, oddly enough) and Justin's Nut Butter packets (I like the Honey Nut one).

Wishing you all great health and a safe journey. Keep doing you!

ASleevestory, sounds like you are doing great! I was sleeved on 7 October and have lost about 50 percent of my excess weight as well. I had hoped to be moving a bit faster but I will have to be more patient. I have been eating too many carbs :-) Best of luck in your journey too. Keep us posted.

ASleevestory, sounds like you are doing great! I was sleeved on 7 October and have lost about 50 percent of my excess weight as well. I had hoped to be moving a bit faster but I will have to be more patient. I have been eating too many carbs :-) Best of luck in your journey too. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the well wishes... best thing you can do absent cold-turky on the carbs is trying just cutting out one thing. Find one small thing, 50-60 calories a day or something carb and just cut that. That one thing... and then move on from there when you're confident you've licked it. I best you can do it!

@@aSleeveStory

Thank you. We will see what happens.

@@aSleeveStory, I had to look at your stats twice to make sure you had the gastric sleeve and not the bypass, lol. You have had tremendous success congratulations.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any suggestions as to why you gain weight when you travel. Maybe ask your bariatric team for suggestions?

I had taken a month off from working out, not proud of it but I paid for it. I lost 2 pounds this last month. I lost 49% of excess my weight( I was below the goal set by my exercise physiologist) for my six month follow up .

The good news is I started working out again today and had a great workout. I will continue to do this at least three or four times a week. I've made a promise to myself. I can't come this far and slack off.

Continued success to everyone!