Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all

Came across your board while researching options for bariatric surgery and think its a great resource not to mention everyone is so friendly!

I am 32 and have a BMI of 45. I live in NYC and I am originally from the South. I have a dog that I adore and a really great group of friends that are like extended family here in the city.

I was considering RNY surgery before I had heard of Banding and as an option I now cannot imagine having the by-pass. My one problem- I have Aetna for my insurance with no other options short of taking out a personal policy which I cannot really afford. I am taking the appeal process to its end but I am now considering doing a self pay. I am going to start searching the board here for information about having it done in Mexico and the cost differences- any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Its nerve racking to say the least and I am a little scared but in the end after reading all the great things most of you have to say I can tell it will make such a huge difference in my life that I have to do it.

Thanks for being here!

mags

Mags,

I never would go thru the bariatric surgery and was glad to have found the lap band.

Can't promise you you won't have pain but I did not. Had my band put in on a Tuesday and was back at work on Friday. everyone is different. Greates thing is if your having trouble the others surgeries offer very little to not change of reversiblity. The band can be removed in a simple proceedure. Of course I can't imagine it being remove you will find people on here who have had trouble and had to have it out.

Stick with your attack on your insurance co. There is an area on here for people with insurance trouble. They have people that will help you so try posting a message on that board and see what happens.

I agree that the people on her are friendly and extremely supportive. Wish I had been here before the surgery they would have taken the fears I had away.

Good luck and hope to hear you got banded.

Greg

Hi mags!

welcome!! I found this site right after my banding and it has been invaluable to me. I can ask the dumbest questions and people dont think i'm stupid! Theres lots of great info on the site about Mexico and self paying, you should find alot of help in that area! Good luck to you and hope to get to know you better soon!!

katie

If you have the cash you get the surgery. LOL . The wait time was only 3 weeks for us and things went fast. Our insurance would not cover it so mexico was a good choice for us. We think we would save enough in resturants to pay for it. (you have to understand we ate out way to much). Make the choice that is right for you. God Bless

I had mine done in Mexico. Dr. Rumbaut was my doctor, and my cost was $11000. I've seen between $8500 and $11000 I think in Mexico, where as it's up in the $20000 and $30000 in the states (dunno much more about pricing in the states, because I didn't look at it after I saw it that high). According to Dr. Kuri's website he works with a company for financing on the surgery, which may be a good option.

I had thought for myself that the bypass or the RNY was a bit drastic for myself, but the lapband is so minimal, which what I consider a possiblity for even better results. I also like that we don't dump or anything like that. We have our PB to deal with, but that can be avoided if we are careful. :D

Hi & welcome,

My name is Mary, I was banded in Mexico by Dr. Veboonen & dr. Ponce de leon of the Obesity Goodbye group August of 2003.

The best money I have ever spent. My goal was to lose 50 lbs & I have done that. Best of all I found new friends in Mexico. I have recomended Obesity Goodbye to my sisters as well as my causin. They have become like family, very supportive. I would go to them in a heartbeat.

I had looked at RNY as well but it just seemed too drasstic. I like the fact that should something happen in the years to come, I can just have the band removed and thats it. It just seemed more logical to me.

I know you must be nervous I know I was. But my only regret is not having done this 10 years ago.

Please write with any questions or concern.

Mary

P.S. By the way you can visit the group at www.ObesityGoodbye.com and call Marlon (patient coordinator) with any questions. And no I don't work for them, I am just an extremely happy client!

Welcome and good luck with your banding journey! Feel free to browse the sections of this forum. There is a great wealth of experience and info to be found!!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

There is so much information here I feel like I just walked into the 42nd street library without a card catalogue!

So once I am done pilfering the wealth of information you guys have put together are there any other sites I should check out?

I am currently trying to find a date on FDA approval of the Swedish band and any information about Obesity Good Bye in Tijuana.

As far as I know, FDA has not approved the Swidish band...yet. But it is the best one since it is very pliable. The American band is very ridgid and more people have complications with it. I have the midband & according to my doctor it is the best and he had never had complications with it (of course at Obesity Goodbye you can choose your band and they don't push you one way or the other).

My uncle is also a doctor in Italy and he worked with the original doctor that started the "band". He also recommended the Swidish band.

My doctor showed me the other bands and it just made more sense to me to use MidBand.

Good Luck

Mary

Just an FYI: IF you chose the midband then make sure you have a doctor set up in your immediate area that you can go to for emergencies. Some surgeons won't take care of patients that have gone to Mexico much less someone with a midband. The LAPBAND is more widely accepted for state surgeons to accept patients. I am not saying one is better over the other. I just think you should be aware that some docs won't accept midband patients cause they are not used to that band as much as the lapband.

I don't know that the statement "The American band is very ridgid and more people have complications with it." is truly accurate. The research on the Lapband is still ongoing and some of the doctors don't report good results much less ANY results with the lapband patients. So to broadly say more complications is not true.

I think with each band there are complications. There are pros and cons with each band. Just do your research and chose which one is best for you. They are equally succesful in aiding in the weight loss battle.

Just my opinions.

Alot of us here went to Mexico to have our surgery. There are several experienced doctors in TJ.. if you choose Mexico do your research check out more then one doctor. I can give you the names of a few..go to the other boards and ask around to get as many different opinions. I love my doctor but there are women here who dont', maybe it is becasue I had him as my surgeon not just for my aftercare..I don't know..we all have such different personalities and some dont mix wel lwith others..but all I do know is I'm happy

Dr. Kuri

Dr. Lopez

Dr. Ortiz

dr. Ponce de leon.

I used Dr .Ortiz and am extremely happy with him, his staff and his aftercare..thats just MY opinion

www.obesitycontrolcenter.com is his web-site. My cost was 8995.00

I agree with Penni..which ever band you decide to go with..just make sure if you do not plan on going back to TJ for aftercare that you make arrangements prior to surgery for a doctor in your area to do fills..etc..most docs in Mexico will give you a list of docs in the US who may take on patients banded in Mexico, alot of US docs dont or if they do they charge an arm and a leg. You can also go to this site www.lap-band.com if you chose the Lap band over the Swedish band ( which is harder to find docs in the US)

and click on surgeon locator to get listings of surgeons in your area, then just call them upfront and ask if they take on patients banded in Mexico and get prices

Best of Luck to you with whomever you decide to go with for your surgery and whatever band you choose..I'm sure you will make the best choice for you :)

Betty,

Good luck and don't worry its all worth it. I'll keep you in my prayers on your surgery date and pray for a smooth proceedure and a fast recovery.

Best of luck

Greg

Looks like you found lots of new friends already.

Penni, there's only one doc here that will do fills on Mexican patients, but he won't do fills on Swedish patients. Go figure.