Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's clear some confusion....

The American band is like a ring "rigid". This is a fact. It is not soft like the MidBand.

Looking at the band you will notice that it does not "give" at all therefore your stomach must adjust to it. Midband is more flexible.

It's best to look at the bands in person. If the doctor you choose is experienced and does enough surgeries then he should have no problem showing you and explaining the different bands.

Mary

Many US docs will not touch a band that is not placed by them, moreover, if they do, they often will not touch a band that has not been FDA approved. I have, however, heard of fill docs (who don't do surgeries) and free standing Radiology centers who will fill any type of band. I'm not sure how widespread that is, but I know of some here in Texas. It's a bit of a gamble to go out of the country and just hope that you can find someone to do your aftercare AFTER.

After my experience just moving from one state to another, I'd sincerely beg of you to make certain you have aftercare BEFORE you are banded. Even then, be cautious as I have heard of people who made phone calls and got a 'yes' from some offices only to be turned away once they returned from being banded. This is a situation I hope Inamed is working on, but it doesn't seem to be getting resolved very quickly.

Truly, as more and more people get banded, this is going to create a widespread healthcare problem. Doctors move, patients move, life happens and we're still banded. Some concessions will have to be made in order to provide continuity of care for the banded patient, regardless of where/who banded them.

I'll climb off the my soapbox now..:)

Leatha, you are not on a soapbox! You are just giving some very, very valuable advice that Banding patients NEED to know BEFORE they get their band. We want all our fellow Bandsters to be successful and have proper aftercare!:)

Leatha, you should send that post in a letter to Inamed. Very well put. I doubled up on my aftercare just to make sure I'd be treated in case of an emergency. First I went to the local doctors, who hold a seminar. During the seminar they brag about patients they're still treating from overseas. They specificially told us of a woman and her daughter that were banded in Europe who now live in Las Vegas. So I asked some questions and felt assured they'd be here for me when I came back from Mexico. But when I got the port infection, they refused to see me. I reminded them of the seminar, how they made me believe they'd care for me like their European patients, but the doctor refuses to take on anyone now.

Second, Dr. Lopez in Mexico said he'd refer me to a local physician for emergency aftercare. I had no reason to believe I should check with Teng first. When I needed him, he turned me away because he'll do fills on Mexican patients, but nothing else.

So, don't feel like you're on a soap box. This deserves a thread of its own because you are right, after a period of time, there's going to be a huge medical crisis regarding no aftercare. If you don't mind, I'll be happy to send that to Inamed.

I researched here, and all over the internet, reading anything I could. I used Obesity Goodbye and dr. Ponce de leon, and paid $7000 for my surgery. (I called during a limited special offer, and saved $500). I bought 2 round trip tickets from IL to Sandiego, and they cost $555.

I also chose the midband because of what I'd read on my own about different percentages of problems, i.e. slippage, port revision, erosion, etc. I didn't want to be persuaded to choose one over the other, I wanted to be educated and make my own choice. I did that, and so far I'm quite happy with my results.

I don't know what's going on with the posts regarding a patient getting a different band than they asked for. I have no way of verifying the information posted, one way or the other, but have seen the posts that accuse Dr Ponce de Leon's other group, "Bajanor" of putting the cheapest band in a patient, regardless of what she said she wanted.

I'd like to hope it's a mistake or fake, but I can believe that it could happen, so I'm just thankful & hopeful that I got what I asked for.

I was treated very well, by the whole obesity goodbye group, and the hospital. I had a good time in Tijuana, and have healed remarkably well. ALL my incisions are healed. I was told to expect some seepage from the port site, that it is usually the last wound to heal, but didn't have any seepage at all.

It could be because I applied tea tree oil over my whole abdomen 2-3 times a day for 2 weeks after surgery, and it probably helped keep away any infection, and speed healing. You'd have to read up on it, to see if it's something you'd consider.

You have to read about all the doc's, look at all the sites, and decide for yourself what fits you. The only way you'll make the best choice is if you educate yourself about all your choices.

Read, Read, Read... then decide.

Good Luck to you, the only regret I think you'll have about getting banded, is waiting so long to get to it.

Originally posted by DeLarla

Leatha, you should send that post in a letter to Inamed. ;;;;

So, don't feel like you're on a soap box. This deserves a thread of its own because you are right, after a period of time, there's going to be a huge medical crisis regarding no aftercare. If you don't mind, I'll be happy to send that to Inamed.

Go right ahead. I sincerely believe there should be an all-out campaign for continuity of care for the lapband patient. Without follow-up care (for life) the band will only be labeled as just another 'snake oil' type promise. I find that very sad.. :think

I forwarded that post to Inamed. I'm curious what the FDA would say about the lack of aftercare. I understand the FDA approved the band at one point, but then took it off the market till the US doctors had better training. I doubt they realize there are Americans (like me) walking around with protruding tubes and infected ports that can't get medical help. I think the band is an amazing tool, and considering the rampant obesity epidemic, the band should get just as much attention as AIDS or cancer. Maybe I need to get on a soapbox and start writing some letters. The band saved my life - I may end up losing it, but for today, it saved my life.

I live in NYC which means my options for finding at least one doctor that would fill or provide after care have to be higher than average due to the sheer population of doctors in the tri-state area. I have met with one surgeon who perfoms lapbands and provides after care and seem to have a good repoir but I have no idea how she would feel about working on a patient with a swedish band from Mexico. I will have to do some serious checking around.

DeLarla,

How common are your issues amongst bandsters on the whole? Is this something I should worry about or should I just know that it is a possibility in a lower percentage of patients?

How many of you have had incident free after care?

Who is the patient you know that has had the band for the longest period of time and do they still find it helpfull in the battle against obesity?

Had my band since 5/04. I was banded locally by a super and very experienced Band dr. During my banding surgery, he also removed a bad gallbladder, some abdominal adhesions (from a previous open-method ab surgery, and found and removed a tumor on my esophagus (that turned out benign, but would have become cancerous and problematic if unfound -- certainly not the normal banding situation!)

So far (knocking on wooden head), no complications. You're very wise to carefully find out what your options are NOW before you're banded. Best of luck to you!:)

I can only answer for myself and for Las Vegas. There are three band doctors here, but none of them will touch a patient that had surgery in Mexico. It has the potential to be a huge problem. For someone like Penni, who lives in Southern California, she got lucky and found Dr. Billy nearby, who can and will work on Mexican patients. Or for patients that live in San Diego, well they're so close to the Mexican border that it's no big deal taking a couple hours out of their day to see any of the Mexican doctors. But for people like me, who live in a city where there's not even one doctor that will help us, that's when it becomes a problem.

I know several people on this board who have had complications and have needed their band doctor. Quite a few, actually. When I heard about the band, I was so desperate that I trusted another woman that had the band (since she had such amazing results and no complications.) She did all the research first, and it seemed simple enough, so I went for it.

I should have gone back to Mexico in July for a re-check. I'm learning as I go along. If I check prices, I can find flights to San Diego for under $100.00. Then add in the trolley and/or taxi, the medical visit, traveling expenses, taking the day off work, and cha-ching... it all adds up to more than I care to think about.

But please don't let my problems scare you. Read everyone's success and weigh them against the complications.

As far as my wound, there are people who walk around with open wounds for a year. I hope I don't have to wait that long, but it comforts me knowing I'm not a complete alien.

To answer your question. These are mere possibilities that you need to be aware of.

Having said that, it's not all that uncommon to hear of port issues, or tubing leaks, even minor slippages or pouch dilation. Although there are improvements being made, it stands to reason that we are on the forefront of something new and wonderful here. So, it makes sense that we would be the one's who are in on the learning curve of the why's and how's of these minor complications. Even at that, the percentages are still very small compared to the amount of people being banded and having no significant complications.

There are people abroad who have had their bands for up to 10-12 years. In the states, the longest I know of is 6 years. Most of the longer term bandsters can be found on Yahoo messageboards, some on spotlighthealth.com. One of the longest is Jessie Ahroni who is a PHD Nurse Practitioner who is also works in the field, doing fills for banded patients and she also speaks extensively at seminars. Jessie has also written a book which you can find at www.ahroni.com . She is very no-nonsense in her approach, but probably the utmost authority on bandster do's and don'ts. You can purchase her book and have it shipped or you can also purchase it as an E-book online. I think reading her daily posts on Yahoo Smartbandsters is even better.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SmartBandsters/ but, for support and comraderie, I don't think you can beat this forum. :D

For myself. I encountered absolutely no problems whatsoever my first year. Then I got over-filled by an inexperienced over-zealous opportunist and was told my band had slipped. (no symptoms until the over-fill) Then, suddenly I had severe reflux and had to have my band un-filled. In the meantime, I had moved from San Francisco back to Texas and I had a whale of a time finding someone who would even SEE me. My band is FDA approved, Inamed band, with no complications until this point and the door was slammed in my face at ever corner. Of course, there were insurance issues too. Some took mine, some didn't, but mostly I was told "If we did not place your band, we do not take you as a patient." Luckily, my PCP got on the phone and located a doctor in my area who had much less experience with bands but was a great wls surgeon in his own right who hadn't yet adopted the same rule as the others and I was re-banded by him and he continues to be a great doctor for me. As for my future and any possible complications? Who knows? Does anyone ever really know their future? The only one I am sure of is the one WITHOUT the band and that is almost certain debilitation or untimely death due to strokes, heart attacks or diabetes (I've already had clots in my legs and lungs. My odds were multiplied already. ) So, any complication that I may face with the band seems to me to be maintenance far less troublesome than the other surgery options and a minor nuisance compared to the lifestyle I was living at 250 lbs. :)

Magster,

I live in NJ (15 minutes from Newark Airport. ) --not far from you in NYC! I have picked Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey Mexico for my surgery 10/19. He has recommended Dr. George Fielding of NYU a doctor from Australia who works here in NY one month and one month in Aussie. His partner is Dr. Christine Ren also of NYU who appeared on Oprah last month as the expert doctor speaking about the bypass surgery --not the lap-band. ( Rumbaut told me she was told to only talk about the subject the show was on and that was specifically the gastric bypass) Dr. Rumbaut knows them both personally and said they could do my aftercare and fills. Their website is thinforlife.med.nyu.edu 212 263-3166. Consult is $500 fills are $100. He also told me about another Radiology nurse --I believe he refers his NY/NJ patients to for a fill. I did not write her name down my first choice is the NYU Doc's.

Check out Rumbaut and read all of the posts you can -that is what I did. I am a lower BMI and probably would be denied insurance coverage . I recieved a quick surgery date and am hoping for the best. These great people on the board really go out of their way to be detailed and informative about their own experiences and lap-band facts. Good luck with your decision.

Rumbaut's direct info without any referral agencies and such is the follwing number 011 52 818 347 4481 He will call you back himself to discuss your situation.

wow thank you guys!

Letha - great advice and post!

Delarla I hope it works out for you soon.

Kelly- THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!

I actually spoke to Dr Ren's nurse when I first found out about Aetna not paying for the band. I originally saw Dr. Kurian who is more known for RNY - she did Al Rokers- and she referred me to Ren - who then told me about obesity law and other options but never mentioned Mexico. I think I will call the office and ask them about servicing the Swedish band.

Ponce de leon seems to have a good reputation with the exception the latest posts about the wrong bands. BUT I will say having worked for a major PR firm that had Pharmaceutical companies for clients and I have seen some PR firms have an employee covertly log into boards and then post either overly positive information about the client’s product or negative information about a competitors product so I don’t always trust a post on its first read. I am going to continue to search for more information about the obesity good bye center and then see where it leads.

Thanks again everyone...and I will check out that book Letha