Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Guys...

I came home today. Tuesday after surgery I felt great. Wednesday the gas pains kicked in & it took a while to get the gas moving. Today I am so excited to be home & feel like I am making progress. My surgeon said my belly button is kind of far away from the top incision so he had to make a side incision to remove the portion of stomach, That is the incision that hurts a little. I don't have a drain or any bandages to change. My surgeon used some type of surgical glue to mend my incisions, he said the glue will flake up & dissolve within about a week. I'm trying my best to get all of my liquids in. For now I am focused on staying hydrated, Protein comes 2nd, since I really cant drink much. I start full liquids on Sunday but I'm in no rush.

I am at 4 days post-surgery and just saw the scale dip below my pre-surgery weight! I'm so excited! I can't believe how fast these 4 days have gone. I got very lucky and had my wonderful SIL want to come for a visit on Thursday, so we've been out gallivanting, and she's been playing with my kids when they get home from school (so they aren't climbing on my sore belly or lap). She also made dinner for everyone last night, including Soup for me! Wow, I'm totally feeling blessed. She is going back home on Sunday, and I'm so dreading that... I need to convince her to stay!

About the recovery.... I have LOTS of gas - it seems like my tummy fills with gas/air after every sip - I have little mini-burps with every effort to drink. It can be painful too - about every 8th swallow I get a big bubble and I have to stop for a while. I'm not pushing myself though, but I'm surprised at all the gas. Anyone else dealing with this?

Yesterday I had a "WTF did I do?!?!?" breakdown. It occurred to me that I'd changed everything about the rest of my life, whether I end up liking it or not. It was very scary, to say the least. I sorta terrified myself, and I'm grieving a bit for the foods I can't eat right now.

As to what I'm eating - mostly I'm having Premier Protein shakes (bought at Sam's), homemade chicken Soup (strained), and whatever Water I can get down. I'm being sure to log the amt of Protein I'm getting AND the amount of liquids. I've got my protein up to 60, but I'm lagging on the amt of liquids. I started my day off with Water today, so maybe that will help.

I'm cold... is anyone else cold??

I'm done rambling! I've loved watching all of your statuses come over - it's been fun to read and nod, since I'm experiencing the same stuff as you guys. I don't feel so alone.

I know exactly what you mean, I'm freezing. I think I'm gonna go to the mall today with my sister to walk. I'm getting stir crazy in the house. I go back to work 09/22 so I wanna heal ASAP so I can enjoy my time off.

Well, we are all on very different pre- and post-surgery diets. My surgery was Aug 24 (six days ago) and up until now I've been only on Clear Liquids, no protein: broth, Jello, popsicles, Water, ice. Today will be the first day that I introduce Protein back in. So, the next week will be full liquids only, but does include yogurt, pudding, cottage cheese, vegetable juice, Soup, and Protein drinks. My tummy gurgles with new foods introduced. I'll need to take it slow.

I'm feeling great, no pain, no gas, no nausea.

Hi All:

I am also 4 days post op. I got to go home on Thursday but it's been a rough go. @@Jz0917, I also had an umbilical hernia that was repaired and that's what has caused the most issues for me. I've been able to get in enough Fluid but Protein has been more challenging. I hardly have any pain from my other incisions but the umbilical one is the ouchy site. Today has been my best day so far, yesterday was the worst. I was having buyers remorse but today I feel better and I think it's going to be ok.

3K steps at the mall today based on my fitbit... Will try again tomorrow, one step at a time. What I have noticed already is that I am being patient with myself. Before surgery if I worked out I would only feel like I was making progress if I was doing something high impact like the elliptical or spin class, and my diet would be drastically low, then I would fall back into old habits anyway. After surgery I'm willing to take my time... Seems like their is less pressure...

I have been feeling great... no regrets, except the chicken broth... I hate chicken broth now. I have replaced the broth with Tomato Soup - and am really enjoying it. I too have not had Protein until tomorrow. Tomorrow I will add Protein shakes and I cant wait for thin mashed potatoes!!!!

The only side effect Im having is having periods of extreme cold for about an hour or two every night. No pain anywhere but my two IV points. I havent had any regrets - Im just looking forward to the future stages.

I've had the cold feeling too. I went shopping for a smaller-size light jacket last night. I'm not sure if this is a short term or long term thing.

I had no-fat yogurt as an option on my full liquid diet, do you?

well - I talked to a friend of mine who had the surgery two years ago and she said she still gets cold easy but not as bad as in the first 3 months. I actually accidentally (surgery brain) drank lipton tea liquid additive yesterday after dinner.... NO sleep! I didnt fall asleep until after 2:30 am!!! I guess I just assumed cause it was a mio type addittive that it wouldnt have caffeine... will NOT make that mistake again. Today I added a Protein shake this morning and began my Vitamin regime... now I sit here trying to rest - but my heart is racing! and I have the shakes. So was it the Protein or the Vitamins? I have no idea.

Yes - I have been trying the plain greek fage yogurt - which I really do not mind its taste at all - but I have only been able to take 4 small bites of it... I can manage a 1/2 of a cup of Tomato Soup at a time - takes me about 15 minutes one small spoon at a time... but it goes down easy and I like the flavor.

I have been measuring my liquid intake and have NOT yet made it to 64 ounces - Im so afraid of getting dehydrated. Is that why my heart is racing?

Hi Sandi... I don't think dehydration would cause a racing heart or the shakes. Dehydration symptoms include dark urine, head ache, muscle cramps, etc. You should call your doctor's office, I wouldn't self access so soon after surgery. May not be serious but better safe than sorry...

I've gotten several sugar free syrups and flavoring and have been adding them to my yogurt (chocolate, caramel, strawberry, cocoa powder, and a blueberry spread that is kinda like a jelly). I also add 1tsp of splenda. If it seems too thick I thin it with soy milk. I've also been making some to freeze... yum. I nuke it for 10 seconds, then eat.

As to getting my liquid in... I sip on a bottle of Water constantly. Just little tiny sips. I'm also drinking those Pure Protein drinks from Costco/Sams (the ones in the red and white boxes). I just sip on these too. For right now I'm not watching the clock too much, just focusing on getting them down. I only delay my water/shakes if I've had yogurt or Soup, as I want to be sure I don't wash away my only real food. ;)

well - I talked to a friend of mine who had the surgery two years ago and she said she still gets cold easy but not as bad as in the first 3 months. I actually accidentally (surgery brain) drank lipton tea liquid additive yesterday after dinner.... NO sleep! I didnt fall asleep until after 2:30 am!!! I guess I just assumed cause it was a mio type addittive that it wouldnt have caffeine... will NOT make that mistake again. Today I added a Protein shake this morning and began my Vitamin regime... now I sit here trying to rest - but my heart is racing! and I have the shakes. So was it the Protein or the Vitamins? I have no idea.

Yes - I have been trying the plain greek fage yogurt - which I really do not mind its taste at all - but I have only been able to take 4 small bites of it... I can manage a 1/2 of a cup of Tomato Soup at a time - takes me about 15 minutes one small spoon at a time... but it goes down easy and I like the flavor.

I have been measuring my liquid intake and have NOT yet made it to 64 ounces - Im so afraid of getting dehydrated. Is that why my heart is racing?

I had racing heart and the shakes. I was dehydrated and low on pottasium, thiamine, and magnesium. Feeling much better now.

Hey Sandy! Glad to hear all as well with you. I was sipping on watered down Powerade last night and that could explain why I was up and down all last night. I mean, I just kept waking up all night long, lol. I will have to get me some Tomato Soup. I tried the cream of chicken and also added some chicken breast to it and then sent it to the Nutra Bullet. Well, I know now that the cream Soups are out of the quesition for me. Had me gassy and miserable.

Had my one week follow up today, everything went great. Ordered a Ninja from qvc... Can't wait to use it. I have a Vitamix but the Ninja has those to go cups that make it convenient to make smaller portions. Been walking a lot but feeling tired today... I'm just gonna relax. How are you guys doing.

Hi everyone, I'm just arriving here on this forum. I too am an August 26er. I've read all your back threads. Sounds like everyone's doing very well so far. I started off very rocky. I was in so much pain when I woke up. Stayed in pain for about 2 1/2 days. I was not expecting that part at all. I feel like I'm alone on that part though. It sounds like all of you did real well on that part. I'm a chronic painer from before ( interstitial cystitis & back issues), so maybe I'm just sensative or something. Anyhow, slowly but surely the pain is fading. I went to Sam's club with my hubby yesterday. I thought that would be good since everyone consistently says 'walk, walk, walk'. We were there about an hour and half way into it I started hurting. I was down for the rest of the evening. Again I'm feeling alone in the pain issues. I guess that's just par for the coarse, I've dealt with the lonely pain issues for years. That was one of the big reasons I decided to have this surgery. I want to sleep better, be healthy, get off some of these meds and feel better.

Hope I didn't go on for to long.

Would love to hear from any of you. You ladies seem great.