Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new - Anyone from Kansas City area?

Hello. I've been lurking these boards for a few weeks now.

I have set up a consultation with the Weightloss Surgical Center in KS for May 9th. Here's the deal...

I KNOW my insurence will pay for it, the question is HOW MUCH. I have BCBS of KC (for Federal employees). I would like to know if anyone here is from the KC MO/KS area that has BCBS, and what Center did the insurence cover?

I would hate to pay $150 for my consultation at WTSC, just to find out they are 'out of network' or something.

Could you please help me out with this?

Thanks.

I live in KCMO but I do not have that insurance. Good luck, I hope someone is able to answer your question. :rolleyes:

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WLSC will make you pay for the surgery UPFRONT and then help you to get reimbursed! (I almost went this route before I found out that Dr. Stephen Malley in Mission was on my BCBS provider network!) So is Opie in Olathe and I believe Wheets doc is too.

When I called them in January (WLSC) they told me that they were NOT contracted with ANY insurance carrier but would work with you to get reimbursed.......... BEFORE you waste $150 I would check out your options.

Oh, and I had my surgery done at Menorah......

I believe that Heartland Spine and Specialty are working on gaining their Bariatric "Center of Excellence" status for medicare...... but of the 3 hospitals Malley works in ... Menorah was the one IN NETWORK for BCBS

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was going to go to the seminar for Malley on May 8th, just to check it out... I was kind of nervous about paying $150 up front, and they do not re-fund it. I know about the $750, but the papers say it is only if you get your insurence approval through them, and then go somewhere else for surgery? I thought that was a bit much, but I hadn't planned to go that far and then NOT get surgery there.

Soooo, tell me MORE MORE MORE about who, what, when, where, and how you got yours done. How long did it take and so forth. I want it done like, YESTERDAY, haha. With knowing my insurence will approve it, I feel like I should get faster service, but I know that isn't how it works. I heard that Malley was backed up until Aug/Sept?!?! Thats a LONG ways away! I need help now. Haha.

Could you please tell me who you went through? Have any contact numbers? Too bad Lap Band surgeons don't offer you a cash reward for sending a new customer their way. This is definatly a 'word of mouth' kind of thing, ya know?

Ahh, I"m thinking you went through Malley. I should read better before I ask so many questions...duh.

OK, so how long did it take you from start to finish? :0)

I know a girl who was banded by Malley in 2004. She speaks very highly of him. I've never met him so I can't give any of my own testament.

Too bad Lap Band surgeons don't offer you a cash reward for sending a new customer their way. This is definatly a 'word of mouth' kind of thing, ya know?
I want PS "tokens" in exchange for referrals. Say every 5 people you get a token, and every token takes $1000 off your PS bill. I would be in heaven! 30+ people have gone to my surgeon's info night because of me, and at least 7 have had, or are scheduled for, surgery with him. Where's my damn bird dog fee?!

You know, when you think about it, it's really against my best interest to refer people. More people = he's busier = longer waits in the office, more lead time to getting an appt, etc.

Hi, I'm Carol. I just had my done at the wtlsc on 3/20/07. I also have the fed program, so far so good. They approved me in 2 days. I have had no problem so far with the wtlsc. My biggest problem was the amount the sent to bc/bs, it was a little more than I thought. Right now I only owe the doctor 187.00. I don't know how much will be owe for the surgery center yet. So far I'm doing ok.

I would talk more to Carol since she's had luck with the same insurance.. but I would ALSO go to Malley's seminar to learn about it. He does a good job of going through the 4 types of WLS and why he prefers the band. He is a VERY quiet guy, but his humor will come out.

From Seminar, Consult, Insurance, Nutrition Eval, Pscy Eval, and eventual APPROVAL letter it took the month of January...... but since I had to wait for an opening at Menorah My surgery was scheduled in April.. NOW I'm banded and I see him tomorrow for my first post op appointment....

IF you can get a clear picture of what your out of pocket expense will be RIGHT NOW.. from WLSC they will probably get you in quicker than Malley can on BCBS... he is very popular because he is very good.... even IF he is extremely quiet.. I know that in January he had his 550 band.. I have no idea what number I was a week ago.

He does his surgeries on Tuesdays and Thursdays. A practice with more docs (like WLSC I would think have more OR time available) Again the upfront cost is what scared me away from WLSC.. and then I had several people PM with with other negatives about the place... but as in all things YMMV!

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

Hi Ladies -- especially Tracey from Malleys board!!! Im from KC too and am a huge believer in Dr. Malley. He and his team are the bestest!!!!! That said, I went to the consult in November and was banded in January of 2007. I am the HR/Benefits coordinator so I knew we would cover and everything went really well, I did get a little too tight my last fill, and had to get a de-fill.... You know what??? I am so totally ok with that cuz.... Ive lost 35lbs since my first fill in March!!!! Wooooo hoooooooooo. At any rate, as an insurance coordinator my best piece of advise to you is call BCBS and find out where and who they will cover. I had my surgery adn Heartland who I have to also give huge kudos too. best of luck to you!!!

ps Tracey tell me how you do the pictures I want to do it too what a fantastic idea!!!!!

Thank you all for your advice! I think I will definatly go to Malleys seminar, but will still hold my consultation with WTLSC. I need to weigh all my options here. I know I'm in a hurry to get this done, but I need to make sure I make the right decision for myself.

I'll keep you all updated as to what happens next! I'm so excited to start losing weight, I've already started going to the gym a bit more regularly!

I know a girl who was banded by Malley in 2004. She speaks very highly of him. I've never met him so I can't give any of my own testament.

I want PS "tokens" in exchange for referrals. Say every 5 people you get a token, and every token takes $1000 off your PS bill. I would be in heaven! 30+ people have gone to my surgeon's info night because of me, and at least 7 have had, or are scheduled for, surgery with him. Where's my damn bird dog fee?!

You know, when you think about it, it's really against my best interest to refer people. More people = he's busier = longer waits in the office, more lead time to getting an appt, etc.

If you find a surgeon that does such a thing, let me know! Because I DEFINATLY plan on getting some work done once the fluffy part of me is shed!

i went for a consult and didnt find out til 2 weeks after that the dr i went to was going out of network...had paid money already...not lapbanded yet...going to find another dr

Hi Suzie, I am from Indep Mo and had my surgery at wtlsc on April 9th. They were great but unfortunately I don't have bcbs so I can't tell you on that. But they did help me with my insurance, getting it approved, I didn't have to pay upfront, only the 150.00 for the consult and got most of it back. Good Luck to you. Katie

Hi Suzie, I am from Indep Mo and had my surgery at wtlsc on April 9th. They were great but unfortunately I don't have bcbs so I can't tell you on that. But they did help me with my insurance, getting it approved, I didn't have to pay upfront, only the 150.00 for the consult and got most of it back. Good Luck to you. Katie

Thats awesome to hear. I was/am nervous about going there, cause I haven't met anyone who went there...actually, the only Banded person I know got her surgery done about 3 years ago, and it was done in California I think...so I don't 'know' anyone who had it done here.

I'd love to hear more about your experience there. If you want to, you can email me at szn0512@yahoo.com, or PM me and I'll give my # and we can chat.