Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

confused about restriction

FurEllie, I am not criticizing your actions or comments but I do hope you realize that you are in the minority in this country (and likely on this board), if personal finances are absolutely no obstacle to you in obtaining healthcare.

There are a LOT of people going to MX. From what I've read and experienced, it's really not "cheaper" to go to MX unless your insurance covers everything. Heck, even if your insurance DOES cover everything, I know at least 3 people in the medical profession who chose to go to MX instead of getting a LB in the US when their insurance covered it.

I don't agree that paying for good healthcare is in as much the minority as you might think. If it was, you wouldn't see as many self pays in the US or MX - these people would just save their $$$.

Syrah,

Ive got a 10cm (4cc) band. Currently ive got 2.5cc in it already!

I went to brunch yesterday, as I'm talking and eating is my problem, it's too late to cath myself. This is a big eye opener for me to slow down and chew my food well. I haven't yet talk with my doctor about my next fill, haven't lost anymore weight since three weeks ago. Wasn't sure how I was to feel when eating?

food just keep talking to me, eat, eat, eat. Tires of it. Feel like something else is wrong with me. why do I still want to eat all the time and eat the wrong foods. Is this happening to anyone else in band land.

food just keep talking to me, eat, eat, eat. Tires of it. Feel like something else is wrong with me. why do I still want to eat all the time and eat the wrong foods. Is this happening to anyone else in band land.

I know EXACTLY how you feel - I am still a slave to food. It's an addiction an unlike booze or drugs, you can't just stop eating completely!

Right now I have what I feel is a "good" fill. It's only .8ccs, but I get full after small amounts. I suspect this is short term since it's such a small amount (though I'd feel like I hit the lottery if it works!!).

The mental hunger is awful and I've finally made myself keep NOTHING that's even REMOTELY "dangerous" in the house. It might take me 12 hours, but I swear I know I could still eat a pan of brownies :)

FurEllie -- I realize we are getting off-topic here but I think this is an interesting discussion.

I may be confused. Most of what I’ve read here at LBT about Mexico – with some (but very few) exceptions – involves people going to Mexico precisely because of cost, precisely because their insurance will not cover the surgery in the U.S. Every time a newbie comes online and tells a story about not being covered by insurance, the issue of Mexico comes up because it is more reasonably priced. (Also as I read around here, I see people opting to self-pay and going to Mexico partly because they wish to avoid the pre-op tests and other requirements.) Maybe I wrong about that? You mention that you know 3 people who chose Mexico even with coverage. That, I am saying, is the exception. That really isn’t many people. And I don’t really understand that (again, just my opinion).

My surgery was completely covered by insurance. I am curious – are you saying that you were you approved by insurance locally, but chose to go to Mexico instead?

For people who make this choice strictly in the Quest for what you believe to be the best the quality care -- would you travel to another country for a C-section? A tonsillectomy? A C-section? Gall bladder removal? How about oral surgery? Where do you draw the line? How about your kids? Are you willing to pack them up and go to Johns Hopkins for ear tubes when you can have it done at your local hospital? Of course you are going to get gold-standard care at Johns Hopkins, but is that realistic for most people? No. I'm just saying - it's great to have those kinds of options but most families do not. Heck, many families do not even have health care coverage in this country.

I guess my point is that all these things are fairly routine (even lap band is becoming that way) and yes, you can probably always find someone somewhere else who has done more surgeries than anyone else and has great qualifications, but if you do that – and everyone in your family does that – where does it end? You could spend all your time and money traveling the globe for medical care that could be done locally or regionally.

Lizrbit – I have the 10 CC band as well and have 3 CCs in it. I go back for another fill in July, or possibly sooner depending on the rate of my weight loss. I would like to have a bit more restriction. But mostly I have to get my head in the game more!

I didn't even look into my insurance covering it since my personal Dr recommended Dr. Ortiz right off the bat. I have BCBS and from what I've read, it would have.

Again, I went because of Dr. Ortiz's reputation. Period. I think if anyone really sits down and does the math, they'll see that he's really not cheaper for self pay than most of the places in the US once you factor in traveling/time. The people I've met at Dr. Ortiz's clinic who are medical professionals were there because of his reputation also.

Obviously there are always going to be those who would rather get insurance to pay AND have a good doctor in the US. I was just pointed in Dr. Ortiz's direction by my doctor who's been a close personal friend of mine for over 30 years and I trust his recommendations - I read a lot about Dr. Ortiz, other doctors in MX and doctors in the US and made MY decision.

Like I said, I don't think I'm as much in the minority as you may think. If people weren't willing to pay for their health, there would be NO self pays. Insurance won't cover it? Fine - I don't care that I'm unhealthy, hand me a donut.

If I was having another procedure where someone more qualified was in a different city/state/country/etc, I would go there too. Where does it end? Why would it end? I will always be willing to take the time and money to get the best - especially when it comes to my health. Unfortunately, I'll also travel quite a bit and pay for a good steak :)

YMMV

I have only had one fill, but I try to see how little I can eat and be satisfied...I don't try to see how much I can eat and be full...

FurEllie - I think you are generalizing about doing the math. How can you possibly assume so much knowledge about others’ situations? Do you really think a lot of people choose self-pay over insurance coverage, simply so they can go to Mexico? You said that you know of 3 such people – out of a board with 1,000+ members. To keep insisting that isn’t a huge minority is silly.

My costs = a $10 co-pay for each fill or office visit, and that’s it. The entire surgery was covered by BC / BS, save for $200. The travel time is one hour. Add it all up and it would be way less than one round-trip lane ticket to Mexico, from where I live.

“Why would it end?” Because most people don’t have the resources that you apparently have. :) I am not sure if you live among super wealthy people or not, or whether you have any children who depend on you financially, but that kind of thinking is not the reality for most Americans, WRT healthcare.

That should be "plane ticket."

What the heck is up with the editing function on here?!

FurEllie - I think you are generalizing about doing the math. How can you possibly assume so much knowledge about others’ situations? Do you really think a lot of people choose self-pay over insurance coverage, simply so they can go to Mexico? You said that you know of 3 such people – out of a board with 1,000+ members. To keep insisting that isn’t a huge minority is silly.

My costs = a $10 co-pay for each fill or office visit, and that’s it. The entire surgery was covered by BC / BS, save for $200. The travel time is one hour. Add it all up and it would be way less than one round-trip lane ticket to Mexico, from where I live.

“Why would it end?” Because most people don’t have the resources that you apparently have. :) I am not sure if you live among super wealthy people or not, or whether you have any children who depend on you financially, but that kind of thinking is not the reality for most Americans, WRT healthcare.

I'm not sure why this is such a hot button issue with you. I've given you my experience and the experience of several others. I wasn't even basing it on any members here, I was basing it on my personal in-real-life experiences.

I HAVE read dozens and dozens of posts here and other boards where people have self paid and I was comparing self pay in the states with self pay in MX. Sorry you didn't understand that. As far as insurance, I said *I* picked my preferred doctor over having insurance pay for it - I said nothing about you or your payments.

I'm not sure why people willing to spend money on their health is such an odd concept to you, and TBH, it's really not something I plan on spending any more time trying to explain :)

Best of luck to you!

To be honest, if I could have had my absolute pick of doctors and still have insurance pay for it, I'd go to Mexico, too. Put quite simply, the most experienced band surgeons in North America are in Mexico. Right now, if I didn't know it would cause a fuss within my family, I'd be paying for a band that I'd get in Mexico. Hell, even though insurance is going to pay some of my costs, I'm still going to be paying thousands of dollars. To me, it makes a heck of a lot more sense for me to pay thousands of dollars and have surgery performed by a surgeon that's done several thousand bands than to pay thousands of dollars and have surgery performed by a surgeon that's done a couple of hundred bands at most. But, my family would freak, so the surgeon with a few hundred at most wins.

I am goign for my second fill tomorrow..the first one hardly gave me any restriction. I can eat a lot..i want to eat much less. I felt full for the first few weeks after surgery..i want that feeling back:)

Thanks for further explaining, FurEllie, even if you avoided some of my questions. That’s ok. :eek: Don’t confuse a hot-button issue with a spirited discussion. I just remain confused about this Quest for the best surgeon ever, when this procedure is becoming quite common across the US – thanks, in large part, to surgeons from other countries who have trained them. Maybe I’m a bit more relaxed because I’ve had several surgeries over the course of my lifetime, some of which were more complicated than lap band.

Magnolia, I think the reason you felt full (and me too) right after surgery had more to do with the trauma of surgery (to the stomach) and the swelling / healing, etc. I still never get a huge appetite, but I would like to feel full after eating ½ cup. Maybe some day!