Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of Gastric Sleeve in Mexico!

Good Morning. I am at the beginning of my journey. I have contacted "A lighter me" in Tijuana, Mexico. I have a close friend that went there and had a fabulous experience. In fact she was there twice. The reason for my post is just to find out more info. I have heard many different situations. I am just looking to find out the good, bad and ugly. :rolleyes: I am in hopes to get my surgery the beginning of October. I was going to go through my insurance but they have a long waiting period, lots of hoops and that is not guaranteed that I can get it. I am looking to see if anyone else is on the same page as I am just starting out! It's always better to have someone to talk to about it. I am not telling anyone (except my husband) about it. I do not want any negative feedback or anyone trying to talk me out of it. I went through this entire process (with the insurance) about 5 years ago. I am even heavier now than I was then. I AM READY to be done! We are going next week to get our passports. I have scheduled an appt to speak to my doctor about the different surgeries. I am thinking the "Sleeve" is best for me........any info is very much appreciated! Have a great day! :D

I am a little confused. When you say you want the good bad and ugly but no negative stuff, can you be a little more specific of what you are looking for and what you don't want to know or hear about? That way maybe we can help or not help as you are looking for.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I want to know what REALLY to expect after the surgery. Some people have said that they are a little sore, but I want to hear yes, i will have trouble drinking or yes, you can't have mayo anymore or something like that... when I do this, I will have a 8-9 hour drive home... I am just curious what exactly I am to expect. Does that make sense? I don't want someone to sugar coat it for me, give it to me straight..

If you have an 8-9 hour drive home, I would sincerely suggest you stay over a few days. The only person I know who had a 2 hour drive in my area here, got told spend a week here. Stay over but don't go home until a week later. In case anything happens the surgeon is there.

I was sore on the incision, you have nausea and all, just try to drink what you can get down and don't push anything. Take it easy and sleep a lot. Enjoy the start of the new life.

In general I didn't find the recuperation to be difficult at all. But I think if I had to spend hours in the car I would have had much more discomfort and fatigue. Good advice to stay there longer.

I had my surgery with Dr. Martinez and Dr. Ariel Ortiz at Obesity Control Center in Tijuana. The facility was clean, well equipped, and the whole staff spoke English, had outstanding qualifications and I've had good postop followup and communication with them. At 7 months out I feel great, my 6 month bloodwork was all normal and I've already passed my surgeon and personal goals (and still losing)

As for immediate postop, I walked to Walmart twice (about 2 miles total) the day after surgery. Went shopping in the Revolution area two days out, flew back day 3, went grocery shopping and drove myself home 5 hours on day 4 and was back at work day 7. Getting in all my fluids and Protein was definitely a full time job and I was tired for a few weeks, but really no pain. I would have loved to spend more time in sunny Mexico rather than come back to sub zero, snow covered Idaho in December, but I had dogs and cats and horses and work to get back to.

I am headed to Mi hospital with Dr Cabrera at the Mexican Bariatric Center in 2 weeks. I have had 3 personal friends go this past year and all of them are doing well and sang the praises of the hospital, its staff and their accommodations. Cindy is the Liaison between the patient and the hospital - she answers my questions by email day or night. She has been great. I picked the brains of all three of my friends that have been there - checked and double checked for any hidden fees. Im nervous but ready.

Hi @@mom2bubsnboo

I am going through A Lighter Me from Calgary, Alberta to Tijuana. My surgery is coming up on August 24. The whole decision/deposit/scheduled date all happened in the blink of an eye. When I did contact them, I asked for their first available surgery dates, so I literally have no time to think about it. I just pulled the trigger.

I'm optimistic. I'm hopeful. I'm nervous - but not in the least about going to Mexico. This all feels right.

Your profile does not say where you live.

Hi BarnGirl!!! OMG I am so excited for you! that is awesome! I wish mine was sooner. My husband refused to go without a passport. So now we have to wait 4-6 weeks for that alone! Then we are going down the end of september. Trust me, if I had an opportunity to go on labor day weekend I totally would have done it!! I live in Northern California! I can't wait to hear more about it!!!! I am going to the same place! YAAAAAAAAA for you!!!!

I am headed to Mi hospital with Dr Cabrera at the Mexican Bariatric Center in 2 weeks. I have had 3 personal friends go this past year and all of them are doing well and sang the praises of the hospital, its staff and their accommodations. Cindy is the Liaison between the patient and the hospital - she answers my questions by email day or night. She has been great. I picked the brains of all three of my friends that have been there - checked and double checked for any hidden fees. Im nervous but ready.

I am scheduled with Dr. Valenzuela at MBC on 9/12/14. It is good to hear that your friends had a great experience. So far I am pleased with the process and I am looking forward to the surgery.

I went down and had mine done over the Memorial Day weekend with Dr. Otiz at A Lighter Me. I had a wonderful experience! Hospital was super clean, staff spoke English exceptionally well and, Marriott Hotel stay was like being on a small vacation. I had no severe pain, just slight soreness at the incision sites. And, I, too, walked to Walmart twice, went shopping and sight seeing after my surgery while there. Four hour flight back wasn't as discomforting as I imagined it would be except for the restriction socks. SO hated them! My at home recovery has been a breeze with weight dropping slow and steady with little to no exercise... I get in a walk here and there. But, I have to admit I'm lazy! :rolleyes: So, 2-3lbs a week is welcomed with a smile since I couldn't manage it before my surgery!

For me the decision to forego the in state insurance loops has been nothing but a blessing! Best of luck and well wishes to all up and coming surgeries!

<p>Hi BarnGirl!!! OMG I am so excited for you! that is awesome! I wish mine was sooner. My husband refused to go without a passport. So now we have to wait 4-6 weeks for that alone! Then we are going down the end of september. Trust me, if I had an opportunity to go on labor day weekend I totally would have done it!! I live in Northern California! I can't wait to hear more about it!!!! I am going to the same place! YAAAAAAAAA for you!!!!</p>

Hey I just wanted you to know that I recently sent for my passport, paid for "expedited" and got it back in a week!!!!! I'm sure there are a lot of variables but hopefully your passport will come quickly too!