Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to add fiber without grains or supplements?

One of the only issues I've had since surgery is the inability to have a bm on my own. I usually take a single stimulant laxative once a week and that has done the trick.

However, I'd like to start being able to go naturally. I know when I do eat bread, I have a bm usually the next day, so I think the problem isn't that my bowels are sluggish, there's just not enough volume to what I need to pass for it to signal my body that its "time."

I do not like eating bread or grains on a regular basis because they are trigger foods for me, and when I eat them its much harder to get my Protein in for the day. I also do not like Fiber supplements because they give me some major bloating that gets really uncomfortable.

So I'm looking for ideas that will give my bm's bulk so I can have more regular bathroom habits and go without the stimulant laxative. I've tried Beans, but they don't seem to work unless I eat a lot of them on a daily basis. Lettuce sometimes helps but gives more of a diarrhoea effect.

Any advice is appreciated! :)

Lentils, split peas, edamame, avocados, artichokes, cabbage, pumpkin, soybeans, (roasted pumpkin seeds and soybeans are great snacks), broccoli, raspberries, pears and apples (with the skin) all have good amounts of Fiber without being as carby/starchy as bread. Bran cereals would be good if they aren't triggers for you. Don't forget to drink LOTS of Water, too.

I found a decent fiber supplement at Walmart that does not contain psyllium (which is probably what makes you bloaty). It's called Sunsweet Supra Fiber and contains prune fiber, apple, acacia fiber, powdered cellulose, blueberries, pomegranate and acai fiber. I mix it in my Protein smoothie everyday. I also eat Fiber One Protein Bars.

I usually poo every other day, but if I don't go two days in a row, I take Milk of Magnesia that night and I'll definitely go that third morning. The fiber supplements at least help make things come out a little easier (sorry for the extra info)

Edited by Kindle

For myself, I use a daily Quest bar and a serving of dairy to keep myself regular.

Spinach, or salad if you can tolerate leafy greens. Those things fast track right through ya. Quest bars have lots of fiber in them if you are into Protein bars.

Flaxseed meal. I mix it with ricotta and egg and Protein Powder and occasionally half a banana and then mix and cook it like a pancake

I second the Quest bar suggestion .It works for me also

I'm complaining on Day 2 of the pre-op fiber drink phase because I had 4 drinks yesterday and no BM. The nurse at Florida Surgical Weight Loss Center told me I would have Constipation problems because the Protein drinks don't have any fiber in them. She suggested that I add a fibrous item to the drink meals. I'm going to add an egg to my lunch meal and see if that helps.

Umm an egg doesn't have any fiber does it?

Fiber is grains, fruit and veggies.

You can also add fiber with supplements like Benefiber as Metamucil. I add those to my Protein shakes.

Without grains or supplements you are left with fruits and vegetables if you want to use whole foods. If you aren't concerned about it being whole foods, then as people have said the Quest bars are good sources.

I do use the Benefiber in my shakes by the third day. My dr said every four days will be my new norm. I'm 4 wks out and still doing purée. I found a Soup from Tabatnchick brand in the freezer section, it's a Tuscan Lentil so I purée it and it does help.

I eat a small apple every day or every other day. I also put a tsp of chia seeds in my yogurt daily. I have no problem going and I don't feel bloated.