Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experiences with Phentermine?

It made me crazy! The meds don't interact well with everyone's body chemistry. Like the pp stated, it's basically speed and it leaves you wired. For me, it made my temper almost unmanageable. It basically kills your appetite while you are on it, but after a while it starts to rev back up. Also, once you get off the meds, I've known people to say your appetite become heartier than before. Phen doesn't work on emotional eaters. I eat even when I'm not hungry so for me I didn't see much weight loss.

I've used phentermine both before and after VSG. Before surgery I used it and did lose about 40 pounds, but just like everything else, it came back. I'm currently 3 years post op and lost 140 pounds initially. Because of some complications and hospitalization from severe anemia I put 20 pounds back on (still - thankfully - within a "normal" healthy weight range though). It freaked me out and my doctor prescribed phentermine to help me "kick start" weight loss again. I've been on it for a month and doing well. No side effects and I've lost 7 pounds. The biggest thing is that I feel mentally in control of my eating habits again.

I took phentermine. Lost 30 pounds i never slept. Keeps you up for days

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yep i took it. Worked well i ate about 500 cal a day had no desire to eat. But after a few months it stops working as well. You stop taking it and you gain it all back just like any other diet. Loose a little gain a lot

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm taking one tablet a day 37.5 mgs and yes it helps stop craving for a little bit but I gain it right back and most drs won't want you to take it for a long time.

I was on generic Phentermine for 2+ years. I lost about 60lbs in 8 months and then it stopped working. I started out with one pill a day and by the end of the 2 years the doctor had me up to 3 pills a day. The weight started to come back on after about 15 months and I put back on all the 60lbs I lost. I decided enough is enough and I am trying to get sleeved. I have high blood pressure and the phentermine was NOT helping that at all.

I was on Phentermine off and on for two years. Lost weight but stopped working. Started having chest pains and had a stress test. I found out I had developed a mild regurgitation in a couple of areas. Fortunately, nothing else happened but I stopped taking it. It's not worth it.

I was on Phentermine two times in the past. Both times worked extremely well. Once in the 90s with Fen-Phen and once in the mid-2000s with B12 injections. I don't recall any vicious side effects. It certainly curbed my appetite. I worked out consistently both times, so I'm sure it helped with the results (probably lost 50 lbs each time if I remember correctly).

I recently moved to Pittsburgh and just found a couple local weight lost clinics that offer the same Phentermine & B12 combo. I'm considering trying it again for a few months.

I'm a newbie here and I did notice a consistent theme of comments in this thread (beside the negative side effects). Many many people talk about gaining back their weight (and more) once they were off the medication. But, that would seem it would be true with any program or RX solution that's non-surgical. The game is calories in, calories out. But, if a program or medication helps us lose substantial weight, and we go back to more calories in than out, we're going to gain back the weight. Or am I missing something?

I took the medication Adipex for almost four months and I never did get any promising results out of it. I actually gain weight on it. I am trying Vyvanse now and hope to see results. My husband has taken it for a year and a half and is 70 lbs down.

I took phentermine made me loose 40lbs and gained it right back it doesn't help u loose weight it gives u energy and also makes u feel full.

I lost 55 lbs on my own and then hit a 3 month wall. I wasnt losing no matter how I tried. My Dr. Put me on Diethylapropion for 3 months and I lost another 10 lbs before hitting another wall. Normally you take 75mlg with each meal (3 per day). I couldn't take the way it made my heart race so I was only on 1 a day. After I came off of it, I put not only the 10 lbs I lost on it back on, but the additional 55 lbs I had lost before being on it in 6 months. Also my hunger senses have never been the same. I am now CONSTANTLY hungry even after eating a full meal. DON'T DO IT! It's so not worth it!

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app

I lost 55 lbs on my own and then hit a 3 month wall. I wasnt losing no matter how I tried. My Dr. Put me on Diethylapropion for 3 months and I lost another 10 lbs before hitting another wall. Normally you take 75mlg with each meal (3 per day). I couldn't take the way it made my heart race so I was only on 1 a day. After I came off of it, I put not only the 10 lbs I lost on it back on, but the additional 55 lbs I had lost before being on it in 6 months. Also my hunger senses have never been the same. I am now CONSTANTLY hungry even after eating a full meal. DON'T DO IT! It's so not worth it!

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app

I gained plus more back also never again will I ever take it

I gained plus more back also never again will I ever take it

I'm taking it currently as a way to lose weight before VSG surgery. Started @ 420 and I am currently 338. Most plans take about 6 months to get you into the O.R. so it is a great way to feel better about yourself until you can get sleeved. I wouldn't be on it if I wasn't getting sleeved because of the weight gain after going off of it.

Sent from my LGLS992 using BariatricPal mobile app

Do any of you exercise consistently? No judgement here. I am just pre surgery and becoming very concerned that the surgery is not very useful if everyone is gaining weight post surgery and needing medications to lose weight I'm confused...