Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Leaks ... Any fatalities reported?

With every surgery there is risk.

The risk I was told of leaks was less than 1%

The risk if death also less than 1%

So this is your 2nd post of this same type issue

Really it's not for you. I am not sure if you are seeking affirmation or seeking to dissuade someone.

Good luck whatever decision you make

Again, I'm not bashing the Sleeve, I think it's a wonderful tool. That said I have read tons of complications now happening and since it's not backed by years of long term research I will ask and I have a right to ask as many questions I feel fit. It seems the complication subject is very touchy with people .. I want the sleeve , I'm not some jerk trying to scare people! I know there's risks with any surgery. I know people may not want to think about what I'm saying and I'm not here to tell people don't get the sleeve. I just have a lot of questions and sorry if some people don't like me for it! I am now researching why people have LEAKS YEARS OUT, Not just a few weeks out like most people think. Sorry if I came across like a paranoid freak but it's my body and my life here.

I think this particular complication is misunderstood. The main issue years out is reflux.

I had a leak immediately after surgery not by any wrongdoing on my part. A staple came out. Yes I was part of that 1% and it nearly killed me. Literally.

I spent 2.5 months in the hospital and 5 months off of work. 7 additional surgeries. I won't go into it all but my stomach will never be like someone who didn't have complications.

Would I do it again? No. Because getting sick had a huge impact on my family for a very long time. I am now 18 months post op and they still worry when I have a stomach ache that I'll be in the hospital again. But it also gave me a new outlook on life and I don't take things or people for granted.

Good luck to you in your research and decision. Don't let others discourage you or be rude to you because you are asking valid questions. ;)

My surgeon did a web chat on the sleeve a few months back and talked about leaks and why they use a 40 fr bougie instead of smaller since it less likely to have leak issues. You may want to see what size your surgeon uses since it appears less chance of leak with larger size and weight loss is not decreased with size 40fr. Since sleeve only a few years and not as much research on optimal size bougie yet they are only beginning to determine what is the optimal size to improve weight loss vs. prevent complications.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/44477278

Also

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23023201 or http://www.eaes.eu/getmedia/8fb93687-5ea0-4e71-b144-84e6abbd69fc/letter_for_Parikh-_review_-_Marius_NEDELCU_-_eaesAF-final.pdf

Also

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11695-013-1047-3

Where are you finding the data about leaks years out?

Nobody says you shouldn't ask. Leaks are a real complication risk for sleeve...1-2% of people get it; even higher for revisions. What we are all asking is evidence of leaks occurring way later. None of us know about that and would like to see your information on it otherwise it does sound kind of strange. Leaks happen in the early weeks. Some are not detected right away but they are not something that just shows up years down the road, unless you have evidence and info none of us have seen.

Cowgirl, I have read posts from others claiming to have leaks years after the surgery. However, I have to think in these circumstances it is not a true leak , but another issue. My Doc and his team have been doing this surgery for close to 4 years at their current rate at 500 per year. In all this time, they have had one leak imediatley after post op. One could say that the very long term effects of being sleeved have not been 100% studied, but the effects of a full bypass after years is known. This surgery is less evasive. Bottom line is research your Doc.

there are two parellel threads on the same topic... very confusing. anyway, on the other one somebody answered that RJ developed a "leak" from an ulcer a year out. Okay, I need to find her report/write up as I haven't seen that. Ulcers are a long term risk, although of much less significicance (in terms of people impacted) than reflux. That is the most serious, common long term risk of the sleeve.

Don't know about all of you, but I thought long and hard about that possible risk before being sleeved. At some point, the slow death and disability I was facing seemed like a more direct threat then this risk.

All pre ops are very wise to think long and hard about all the risks, including the risks of continuing their current paths. This whole WLS is serious business and I would rather someone hesitates and researches than someone throws themselves without understanding or thinking through all the possible consequences. Having said all that, MOST sleevers live a pretty good life int he long run. It is wonderful being a 23 BMI after being over 50BMI - life changing.

I think a Good book for information on all of this is THE BIG BOOK ON THE GASTRIC SLEEVE . It explains about the leaks starting on page 99. ACUTE LEAKS occur within 7 days of your initial surgery........ Early leaks occur within 1-6 weeks after surgery.......... Late leaks occur within 6-12 weeks after surgery and CHRONIC Leaks occur 12 weeks Post surgery. A Leak occurs when the stitches that are holding the sleeve closed are no longer tight. This is also known as dehiscence, when the surgical procedure comes undone. Everyone I can't brag enough about this book. All of this I have shared is word for word from the book. Leaks are Serious complicatios and LEAKS are the most common cause of death after sleeve gastrectomy....... (coming straight from the boo) and this is not to scare anyone but this is to tell everyone to research, research I think anyone should be able to ask all these questions. Leaks occur in about 1-4 percent of gastric sleeve patients ( coming directly from the book) the author of this Book is ALEX BRECHER and NATALIE STEIN If you need info order it and read, read, read. Just thought I would share info from the book with all. Hope everyone has the very best of luck in your journeys.