Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to bad habits

I seem to sabotage myself. I eat things I know are not good for me. I really need an intervention... Cant get under 250lbs. Teetering from 260 to 265 I had a few bad days but eating out of boredom. I dont want to go back to 461lbs. I workout almost daily but cant leave the carbs alone. I have to make this tool continue to work for me. Ive seen so many begin to gain but I just cant. I refuse... Anybody else struggling? Bad childhood memories were associated with this weight but I need to stay focused on my future not the past.

I am just starting my journey (surgery hopefully in August) but I am working on my emotional eating now. I was surprised at how often I am eating because of emotions even though I am losing weight pre-op. I am using Recovery Record (an app available on both Android and Apple). I also am reading 50 ways to soothe yourself without food. A very good book for me. Good luck.

Hi Gina:

You have done amazingly well so far but the fact that you know you are self sabotaging, and that your weight issues have an emotional component, tells me that you might benefit from professional help. I see a therapist to help me with my issues and have always been very up front about that on this forum. Just as WLS is a tool, so can therapy also be a tool.

I see you are in NY. If you live in or around Manhattan, I can give you the name of my therapist if you are interested. Just PM me.

Thanks ladies.. I will look into this. I know I need help.

Gina, I can relate. Since I passed through what had been my 20-year nemesis--'200 pounds'--and made it into Onederland on May 13th [weight 197.8 that day], I've been off-program.

I was planning to post a topic: "Warning: Carbs: Once You get Started"... Like the song, oh, it's hard to stop. I have grazed on stuff I hadn't eaten in a while: potato chips; some crackers. a little bit of ice cream. Granted, I can't eat much of those things, but still... Dang.

Fortunately, I have still lost a few pounds since May 13th, and have NOT seen '200' again. I'm hanging ~191-192 lbs. But I need to get back on track, as well.

We can do it. I'm going to try to go cold turkey again re: the carbs, because they really can and do hook you, give you hunger, cravings, etc. I need more Protein, to get ~ketotic again, etc., and quell those urges and carb desires.

Hang in there, and know you're not alone. [Oh...PS: Don't keep pointing to "childhood memories" at this point. Focus on what YOU--the adult--CAN do for YOU TODAY. Choose to be a victor, not a victim.] Hang in there, and/or go get counseling if you feel you really can't lay the childhood baggage down.

Edited by Dr-Patient

I too use recovery record. It was recommended by my dietician. Good luck in your journey.

Also Mercury is in retrograde. Crap happens.

I am not one to follow astrology, nor live my life by it; and despite my being a true scientific-type, when "Mercury is in Retrograde" all kinds of hell can happen. Seriously. It has made a believer out of me. It can jack with you in many ways. It ends July 1st, so we all might need to just hang on as we do our best during this time of seeming to go backwards. :-)

@@Dr-Patient I've seen your posts before but didn't realize we had our surgeries at the same time and we are currently about the same weight. I've been having similar struggles to yours starting at the same point in time - right after I dipped below 200 lbs. A few carbs here, a few there and BAM! Hunger is more, cravings are increased. Even something like a little milk and sugar free Syrup (artificial sweetners seem to trigger me, go figure) in coffee sets me off on the carb path. Just like you, it isn't much or in the volume it was before. Last week was the worst since pre-sirgery - I had six homemade Peanut Butter Cookies in the span of 3 days which resulted in the scale creeping up 2 lbs. I've since gotten it off. Weekends seem to be my hardest time, that and the evening after I get back from zumba. I 've made a few changes. I bought a more complete Multivitamin this weekend. I am banning crystal light as it has corn syrup solids. If I get hungry after a class - no carbs just a small Protein snack. Let me know if you find strategies that work!

@@slvrsax Hi. My highest weight ever was 271.2, ( my surgery day weight was 257.2), so, yeah, we were about the same weight, and are now.

Re: Crystal Light: I love it, but all of these things have Splenda/sucralose in them, and I figured out years ago that I do NOT lose weight with Splenda. So...I hear ya!

We'll get there, helpers one to another! All of us here.

Edited by Dr-Patient

Its so much easier said than done but because this site gives us a way to vent its much much easier. Thanks for the info... I cant make the childhood issues my adult issues. I ate much better today I think Im getting back to basics. This food addiction is real! But I am an overcomer