Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The great PROTEIN DEBATE...

My Dr. says to get all my calories from dry foods so I have the feeling of fullness. I like Protein shakes, but I hate putting all that artificial sweetener in my body...It raises my blood sugar and gives me cravings. And it never gives me a full feeling.

I doubt if our bodies can metabolize the super high Protein Shakes above 25g. Seems like we're just asking the liver to work overtime for no benefit with those.

I'm looking for a good pure whey product without flavorings or sweeteners, and I pan to add that to my salads, etc.

My doctor told me get at least 75 grams of Protein a day, with the band there is no way you can get all that through food. I buy the liquid Whey protein at www.wholesalesupplements.com I drink at least one every two days. you get 12 tubes for like 30.00 + shipping. They send you a free shipping coupon with your order for your next order. I keep it in the fridge, it tatse a little better cold.They have different flavors and they have 42 grams of protein. You need protein to keep the weightloss going and you don't want to start loosing your hair.< /p>

I just don't think 75 grams a day makes sense unless you are a serious weight lifter!

I've been talking to MANY people......nurses....Dr's, weightlifters....from what i gather that is a common denominator from MOST of them...

Protein is ok as long as you dont do more than about 25g per serving. Your body can not digest much more.

The couple of weight lifters say to lose weight and build muscle for beginners they always suggested around 60-80g a day.

More serious weightlifters who have been weightlifting for years take in 1.5 grams of Protein PER pound that they weigh. One of my friends is a professional weightlifter. He has done it all. I had about an hour conversation with him on the phone with him today. MOST of his best friends are personal trainers. He is currently working for a competition and is taking in about 260grams of protein a day. OBVIOUSLY we would never have a need for that much protein. He also drinks 12oz of Water ON THE HOUR......

Point being...there is a huge difference between weightlifting and losing weight and trying to build the muscle some of us NEVER had to begin with.

Dr's are NOT personal trainers. They tell you what they know or what they have heard works best. But things are different for everyone. Some dr's say this others say that. Its all on the person and what their goal is.

I think out of all the people ive seen ACTUAL before and after pictures MOST of them who have lost LOTS of weight were on some sort of protein shake. Look and bodyforlife.com for example....almost all of the people who are under the losing fat section were on myloplex (sp).

This again is just my take on it...i have been doing ALOT of research as for as what really works....not what Dr's say. Not ALL dr's are right...they all have their own opinions.

Amen....whew!:clap2:

I just don't think 75 grams a day makes sense unless you are a serious weight lifter!

Most bariatric docs suggest between 60-70gms of Protein daily.

There is so much conflicting info on this topic. But I think what it comes down to is that we need to base protien on LEAN body mass, not total weight. Those that say 1.5gm Protein per pound of body weight are out of their ever lov'en minds. The people who need that much are professional athlete types that exercise and work out 20 out of 24 hours daily. ;)

But when you lose a lot of weight quickly you WILL lose muscle mass, no way around it. It's going to happen. By doing weight training and adequate protein you won't lose as much muscle mass.

Personally I hate weights. Hate them with a passion. They are tooooo heavy! HATE THEM! But I do well on my treadmill. I'm getting to the point that I have no choice, I have to do weights.

But I don't have to like it!

My dietition also said between 60-70 grams of Protein. If you don't get enough, you take a chance of your hair falling out and losing mostly muscle instead of body fat. I would think the dietition would know better than a doctor.

Just wanted to report back for anyone interested. Until TODAY I have not found a Protein supplement food/shake/mix/etc. that I could handle. I was using SlimFast High Protein Shake in the morning, but that's not enough protein for the day so I've been slacking ;)

My IDS New-Whey Test Tube things came today.. HURRAY!

Ok, they are 20x the size I thought they would be-so no shooting like I'd hoped.. not entirely. I got 12 fruit punch 42g, and 12 blue raspberry 25g. I just opened a fruit punch.. it is a tiny bit sour.. and does have some 'weird' taste to it, but it's extremely palatable for me! I've drank half of this 42g one in 3 sips. And now I've had 21g of protein! HURRAY!!!!!!!!! My days of nasty azz shakes are over.

I know everyone's different, since some people like Matrix and I thought it was horrible, but I'm glad to say I finally found a way to get in my protein. Yay New Whey! Rhymin all over the place ;)

Just wanted to report back for anyone interested. Until TODAY I have not found a Protein supplement food/shake/mix/etc. that I could handle. I was using SlimFast High Protein shake in the morning, but that's not enough protein for the day so I've been slacking :)

My IDS New-Whey Test Tube things came today.. HURRAY!

Ok, they are 20x the size I thought they would be-so no shooting like I'd hoped.. not entirely. I got 12 fruit punch 42g, and 12 blue raspberry 25g. I just opened a fruit punch.. it is a tiny bit sour.. and does have some 'weird' taste to it, but it's extremely palatable for me! I've drank half of this 42g one in 3 sips. And now I've had 21g of protein! HURRAY!!!!!!!!! My days of nasty azz shakes are over.

I know everyone's different, since some people like Matrix and I thought it was horrible, but I'm glad to say I finally found a way to get in my protein. Yay New Whey! Rhymin all over the place :lol:

The liquid whey taste a little better cold, I keep mine in the fridge. Let me know how the blue one taste, I never tried that one and yes I should have said it does taste a little weird but it does not take much to get it down. I can live with that.

My doctor told me get at least 75 grams of Protein a day, with the band there is no way you can get all that through food. <snip>

While looking for different Protein powders,

I stumbled upon this Protein Calculator:

http://www.unjury.com/reg/calculator.shtml

I was really surprised at how much protein a day you actually can get from food alone. :) My doc wants a minimum of 75g, preferably 90g of protein a day. I've never bothered to add my whole foods up -- just kept up with sipping on a daily 50g Protein Drink. As it turns out, I’m doing pretty well with my protein intake from real foods! :thumb: I still drink at least 25g of protein supplement a day, just to be on the safe side. :biggrin1:

(My surgeon also said to keep in mind that body builders of the past are NOT after all having liver issues now, so the concern for "too much protein" isn't as real as everybody thought it would become for that population.)

While looking for different Protein powders,

I stumbled upon this Protein Calculator:

http://www.unjury.com/reg/calculator.shtml

I was really surprised at how much Protein a day you actually can get from food alone. :) My doc wants a minimum of 75g, preferably 90g of protein a day. I've never bothered to add my whole foods up -- just kept up with sipping on a daily 50g Protein Drink. As it turns out, I’m doing pretty well with my protein intake from real foods! :thumb: I still drink at least 25g of protein supplement a day, just to be on the safe side. :biggrin1:

(My surgeon also said to keep in mind that body builders of the past are NOT after all having liver issues now, so the concern for "too much protein" isn't as real as everybody thought it would become for that population.)

I disagree with your doc, honestly I do. If you talk to nutrition experts they say body builder types NEED the protein, we do not. Also, unjury used to (but I haven't checked recently) used to base protein requirements on total body weight. It should be based on lean body weight. Remember, Unjury... while a great product, they are still trying to sell their products. And lots of them. If you aren't working out 20 out of 24 hours a day you don't need excess protein. It's not your liver that is at issue as much as your renal system.

Besides, you can only absorb so much protein. What you don't absorb you either need to burn off or it is stored as fat.

There is so much conflicting info on this topic. But I think what it comes down to is that we need to base protien on LEAN body mass, not total weight. Those that say 1.5gm Protein per pound of body weight are out of their ever lov'en minds. The people who need that much are professional athlete types that exercise and work out 20 out of 24 hours daily.

I believe this idea that we must consume a minimum of 60 grams of Protein is another one of those things that has taken on a life of its own. Years and years ago, the guideline was 1 gram per kilo (not pound) of lean body weight. Then it became 1.5 grams per kilo of lean body weight for body builders and athletes. Then everyone is in the U.S. failed to notice the kilo part and the athlete part, and it became 1.5 grams per pound of lean body weight. And some people even leave off the "lean" part and try to make it 1.5 grams per pound of body weight. And some people think that if 1.5 grams is good, then 2 grams must be better! Going back to the original formula that I learned in nutrition class in college, if my ideal weight is 110 pounds, as a female I can estimate that 75% is lean body weight. (I think it was 85% for men.) 110 x 75% = 82.5 divided by 2.2 to convert to kilos = 37.5.

So I should be getting about 40 grams of protein per day. Some days I get more than that and some days less. I do my best to make good choices and to eat protein first at every meal, but I'm not going to obsess about my protein intake. And I'm not going to drink some horrible tasting protein shake that will make me gag. My doctor tells his patients to avoid liquid calories because they do not give you the sensation of being full and you'll end up consuming too many calories in a day, and that sounds like good advice to me.

Most importantly, one personal rule I try hard never to break is that if it doesn't taste good, don't eat it. Protein shakes fall into that category for me.

<snip> Also, unjury used to (but I haven't checked recently) used to base Protein requirements on total body weight. It should be based on lean body weight. Remember, Unjury... while a great product, they are still trying to sell their products. And lots of them. <snip>

Right - I thought the Protein Calculator at a protein site would surely say I needed to BUY more (of their) Protein powder! But, instead, it showed that I was doing well from whole foods. I was very surprised!

My clinic gave a formula to figure out how much protein is needed, based on the Lean Body Mass reading from their Body Composition scale (which we get on at adjustment appointments). Maybe somebody else could also benefit from this information:

Protein needed for weight loss = (lbs LBM/2) x 1.3(female) or 1.5(male)

Protein needed for maintenance = lbs LBM/2

Suzanne

I disagree with your doc, honestly I do. If you talk to nutrition experts they say body builder types NEED the Protein, we do not. <snip>

You're certainly entitled to disagree! I think the world is better for diversity of opinion -- keeps us honest. It's funny, in most areas of my life, I'm not one to surrender to "doctor's superior knowledge" at all... I'm "you're your own best patient advocate" all the way! Especially when it comes to my kids. But I figure I've been overweight since puberty, dieting on & off for 20 years. And I've taken several courses in nutrition (both college-level & community-based) myself. Not a bit of that has helped me in my struggle with weight.

So...for a change...I'm just gonna go on faith. Maybe that's naive. Maybe I'll regret it. But I don't want to 2nd guess this time. Ya know? I'm tired of getting this weight loss thing so wrong!!!! :(:D I want this to be the tool that works. And this clinic (with a reputation I did research) is where I can get "service" with the tool. So be it -- I can (try to) give up control this one time :) & trust "the experts" on something I've not been able to control myself: how to loose weight.

They want me taking in a certain amount of Protein, so a certain amount of protein I'll take in. They want me to shoot for around 70g of carbs a day (more than double the 30g Atkins limit), then I'll shoot for 70g. Really -- what could it hurt at this point? I've tried nearly everything else already! :tired

Suzanne

Well I went under unjury.com and they recommended me I need like 60 grams of Protein a day according to my body weight and height. So I guess as the weight drops I will need less. I guess my Dr is right. If I get down to the weight I want to be, I should hardly need any protein according to the Unjury site.

Well I went under unjury.com and they recommended me I need like 60 grams of Protein a day according to my body weight and height. So I guess as the weight drops I will need less. I guess my Dr is right. If I get down to the weight I want to be, I should hardly need any Protein according to the Unjury site.

Yea unjury told me i needed like 82grams.....sheesh.....