Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling by plane tomorrow

I was banded last Thursday and am flying to New York tomorrow. It's about a 3 1/2 hour flight.

I tried looking on the boards to see if anyone has had any problems flying after being banded, but couldn't find a proper thread.

Any thoughts?

I flew 4 days after surgery, I'd take pain meds before boarding. Even though the cabins are pressurized, the pain increased the higher we got. Maybe it was just me but just in case. I had to have one of the stewards get my bag down to get my pain meds. I was in tears by the time we landed. So just be prepared. I hope you don't have this happen to you. Best of luck.

Your pain was probably caused by the changing of gas volume in your body, especially if gas post-op was an issue for you. Planes are pressurized but the pressurization changes with ascent and descent, and is not going to be true to your native ground pressure. I believe most planes are pressurized to the equivalent of 10,000 feet (of course this varies as the plane moves). As you ascend the cabin pressure decreases, and as pressure decreases, things - including gas - expand. That can lead to some ouchies. :)

I flew two days after being banded. No problem. It was just the hustle and bustle of airports that bothered me. Do yourself a favor, call the airline, tell them you are post surgical and need a wheelchair. When you get to the airport there will be wheelchairs there. Someone will wheel you right up to the desk for checkin, someone will wheel you to the gate and you will be first to board. Ask for a bulkhead seat. This way you can stretch your legs and not crunch your tummy so much.

This is a time when I am using my handicapped status for its intent. I had a lovely flight home.

Oh, and there will be a wheelchair waiting for you when you arrive. They wheel you to baggage claim and pickup your luggage for you.

<p>I flew about 3 weeks after surgery. My suggestion is to wear comfy pants. (Elestic waist) I wore jeans and because I was still a little swollen they really pressed into my stomach and hurt. I would definatly take advantage of the wheel chair option too! Other wise you may not make if you were like me. (I got tiired so quickly that first week)</p>

make sure you don't lift any heavy luggage! smile at people and ask them to help you lift anything heavy!

have a nice flight!

and welcome to nyc!

girlinnyc

I had 5 hour flight home from MX on the 3rd day following surgery. I had no pain from the flight itself, it was not a problem. I did however learn a few things!!!

As was pointed out, wear comfy elastic waisted clothing. And wear slip on shoes. You have to remove your shoes at security check in, so slip on/off is much easier, than trying to retie shoes.

Pack lightly!!! You will (unless you do the wheelchair thing) be responsible for lugging the suitcase around---make sure you can do it!

If you need a seatbelt extender, or even think you might...casually ask the attendant for it as you board the plane. They are usually stowed in a cupboard right at her side. She can hand it to you, and you can have it if you need it. Those people already on board, are busy settling in, and those behind you are in line, and cannot see you, nor what you are doing. If you wait until everyone is seated, she will have to walk back down to the front of the plane, get it, and walk it back while everyone waits to take off---and if she forgets who ask---she will announce it! Happen to me!!!

While in the air, rotate your ankles, try raising and lowering your legs a few inches, and try to straighten your legs as much as possible, every little bit. I think the man in the seat next to me, thought I had ants in my pants!!! But you want to keep your legs moving to cut the risk of blood clots. They don't have to be big exagerated movements, just movement, and don't cross your legs or your ankles. In the same light---no socks or knee highs with bands--they cause blood flow restriction. If you come from a family with a history of DVT---you might consider support hose. The best place to look right now, with surgical issues, is in the maternity shop! They have loose bellies, and snug legs. You might need help getting them on---but if it is something you have to worry about, it is better to be safe than sorry.

You might get some Tylenol Go Tabs to have on hand---the only thing I had issue with was a killer headache, I think the stress of worrying about it all got me! In the end it was not a big deal.

You will do great, have fun in NYC!!!

Kat

I had 5 hour flight home from MX on the 3rd day following surgery. I had no pain from the flight itself, it was not a problem. I did however learn a few things!!!

As was pointed out, wear comfy elastic waisted clothing. And wear slip on shoes. You have to remove your shoes at security check in, so slip on/off is much easier, than trying to retie shoes.

Pack lightly!!! You will (unless you do the wheelchair thing) be responsible for lugging the suitcase around---make sure you can do it!

If you need a seatbelt extender, or even think you might...casually ask the attendant for it as you board the plane. They are usually stowed in a cupboard right at her side. She can hand it to you, and you can have it if you need it. Those people already on board, are busy settling in, and those behind you are in line, and cannot see you, nor what you are doing. If you wait until everyone is seated, she will have to walk back down to the front of the plane, get it, and walk it back while everyone waits to take off---and if she forgets who ask---she will announce it! Happen to me!!!

While in the air, rotate your ankles, try raising and lowering your legs a few inches, and try to straighten your legs as much as possible, every little bit. I think the man in the seat next to me, thought I had ants in my pants!!! But you want to keep your legs moving to cut the risk of blood clots. They don't have to be big exagerated movements, just movement, and don't cross your legs or your ankles. In the same light---no socks or knee highs with bands--they cause blood flow restriction. If you come from a family with a history of DVT---you might consider support hose. The best place to look right now, with surgical issues, is in the maternity shop! They have loose bellies, and snug legs. You might need help getting them on---but if it is something you have to worry about, it is better to be safe than sorry.

You might get some Tylenol Go Tabs to have on hand---the only thing I had issue with was a killer headache, I think the stress of worrying about it all got me! In the end it was not a big deal.

You will do great, have fun in NYC!!!

Kat

Great advice.

One more thing. They have this rule now called 3-1-1. No more than 3 oz. of Fluid at carryon. One quart size Ziplock bag as your carryon. This doesn't include your purse. Medications in ziplock bags.

I put my drink in my purse and got through security by telling them I was a surgical patient with specific things I needed. The liquid was one of them. I showed them all my medications ( in a clear Ziplock bag) I brought this to the attention of the counter personnel long before I reached security. When they wheeled me up, the guy pushing me was already relaying to security my needs.

I would be sure to ask your surgeon if this is OK. I have been told that flying is not recommended right after surgery, due to the chance of forming a blood clot. I was told not to fly until 6 weeks after surgery (but my surgeon, who is also a pilot, has given me the OK to fly after 5 weeks - I have a trip in 2 weeks). I know a lot of people fly back from Mexico post-surgery. I wonder if their physicians administer some sort of anti-clot medication before they are released. I would hope so! At the very least, take an aspirin the day of the flight and walk around as much as possible, while in the air.