Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 fills and I think I can still eat too much

I had my surgery on April 15, 2014, had my first fill 4 weeks later, then had a second fill 2 weeks after that. I have lost 17-18 lbs and I am stuck there. I know I am eating less than I had, but not sure how much I should eat. I can eat a small hamburger patty and cottage cheese, or a small salald. I have had things get stuck, so I am very careful to chew properly. I have not been eating bread, but can eat about anything else. I know I am eating less, but not losing.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Have you tried logging your meals into a calorie counter and looking at your macros just to get an idea what your daily intake looks like? I find that is most helpful to me.

I'm a little newer post-op than you, but I just stick with Proteins and some veggies, never much room for more. I try to measure everything. I'm less than a week out from my first fill.

I think if the 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of food arent keeping you full for few hours, you may need another fill. If its head hunger, I control that with a stick of gum and some Water.

Hello there. I got my band December 2013. I have a very strict doctor and it sounds like you are eating way more than I was instructed to. After my liquid diet ended (4 weeks post op) my doctor recommends 2 Protein Shakes a day and 3 - 1 ounce meals (the size of a shot glass). My diet is also no bread no Pasta no rice no milk no potatoes. Like I said its super strict but I have seen results month after month! Good luck in everything!

When the scale isn't moving that's when I often notice my clothing getting looser and I realize I am losing inches. This is a good time to look for NSVS, non-scale victories, and just to keep doing what you're doing. Fills differ so much -- I had six prior to achieving the green zone but I was glad for the small incremental approach my surgeon uses as it gave me time to work on slowing down, chewing more and general behavior modification. My surgeon was looking for a tennis-ball sized portion and not hungry again for 4-5 hours. I had the portion part but not the duration -- I was hungry again after a couple of hours. So we kept going. I am not super tight but just right -- can still enjoy dense Protein, apples, broccoli, etc. You are doing beautifully -- on your way! It just takes some time.

Its funny how doctors differ so much. My doctor advised me to stay away from Protein shakes as meals. She wants me to be able to be satisfied by eating my meals. not drinking them. I was told 3 - 1/2 to 3/4 cup meals a day. A snack is allowed if I'm not staying full between lunch and dinner.

Hello there. I got my band December 2013. I have a very strict doctor and it sounds like you are eating way more than I was instructed to. After my liquid diet ended (4 weeks post op) my doctor recommends 2 Protein Shakes a day and 3 - 1 ounce meals (the size of a shot glass). My diet is also no bread no Pasta no rice no milk no potatoes. Like I said its super strict but I have seen results month after month! Good luck in everything!

I had my surgery in March and haven't lost a pound in over a month, but I have lost 2 pant sizes. Remember the Protein turns some fat into muscle.

Muscle weights more than fat. Anyway I'm not to worried since I know I am losing mass. Had one fill after surgery and they hit the green zone first time. Just keep up the good work and start taking measurements (I think you will notice a change). Best of luck.

Bill

Muscle doesn't actually weigh more than fat. a pound is a pound, but a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. so, during stalls, you could very well be losing inches (and fat), but replacing them with muscle.

It can take many more fills before you feel satisfied with less food. It took me 3 fills to be able to eat much less and 3 more to finally find the green zone.

Did you not go to a nutrition class before surgery or visit with a nut?

And just eating less may not allow you to lose fat. Many of us were eating 3,000-4,000 calories a day so eating less than this won't do much. This isn't a diet. This is a way to learn how to change your lifestyle consuming healthy foods. It doesn't mean we can never eat pizza or ice cream, it just means we won't depend on bad foods to live.

You will have to learn how to measure food and calories. Consume less than 1200 a day and exercise and you can lose fat. But your band will have to be adjusted properly for all this to happen. You might consider speaking to your nutritionist/dietician?

Edited by 2muchfun

If you could follow my progress it was very similar. I lost about 6 lbs in the post surgery liquid phase, and then nothing for at least 3 months and 3 fills. I went into surgery at like 215lb., and After the liquids I sat at 209 for the longest. But I was expecting that, I was told that was a norm. I was told to focus on Protein then green veggies and if I was still hungry I could add some carb. I did lose inches regularly, and there were a few occasions ( usually special events) where I strayed a little, but not much. Then I got a fill and it was really tight. I lost like 3 lb and over that month got like another half lb off. Then I got my next fill, and had to have a little removed, but the pounds started coming off pretty regularly. But it is still slow. Which is really good to allow your skin to catch up and you look and feel so much better. I am still not sure I have hit the "green zone" or if I will have to kick in will power more because things are slowing down again for me. But I ma hoping to gain some insight on that when I go to the doctor in a couple of days.

I'm in exactly the same position and I get hungry quite soon after my meal dietician recommends slightly bigger portion size and snack in the afternoon on fruit