Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK so new here. Been reading posts for a few weeks and decided it was time for me post my thoughts and get some check ins for July. I am pretty much scared s&%$less. I have a great support system even though I am the only really overweight one in my family and they do not understand how much our relationship is going to change. I love to cook and do it everyday people cone over and I feed them....an expression of love...I won't be able to do that any more. I need to concentrate on me and my needs. Protein Vitamins and fluids will become my priority I will need to concentrate on rating to live instead of living to eat. I am excited to start my journey and be on the loser's bench

Welcome! Being nervous and apprehensive are completely normal; but, don't worry, I'm sure you'll do great. You have the right attitude! :) Just remember that this surgery is only a tool, not a quick fix. You still have to do the work, but no worries, you'll rock this!

Wishing you all the best on this journey to a healthier life. You will get all the help and support you need to do well safely. This board has helped me to do well and move on to your new life.

If you didn't feel a little apprehensive, you wouldn't be normal or taking the surgery seriously. Sounds like you have a good understanding of what to expect.

Once you get there, you'll be surprised how fast it all moves. I'm a little over a week out and even with a little bump in the road and a second hospital stay, I feel great and know this is the best things I could have done to improve my life.

You can do it and you'll find lots of help on the boards.

Best wishes

Thank you for replying. My Dr did not have me do a liver shrinking diet. I have read so much information here that everything I don't have to do sticks out like a sore thumb. Does anyone know about Pro-Stat for Protein? It is like taking medicine but one ounce has 15g of protein so for immediately after surgery I was thinking about using it. We give it to our residents it is collagen protein but is complete. You can. Also mix it and make Jello. I am very fortunate to have found bariatric pal

Thank you for replying. My Dr did not have me do a liver shrinking diet. I have read so much information here that everything I don't have to do sticks out like a sore thumb. Does anyone know about Pro-Stat for Protein? It is like taking medicine but one ounce has 15g of protein so for immediately after surgery I was thinking about using it. We give it to our residents it is collagen protein but is complete. You can. Also mix it and make Jello. I am very fortunate to have found bariatric pal

My Doc and Nut suggested Unjury brand protein. It has 20 grams of protein per scoop. It's all I used during my liver shrink and now during my 2 week postop liquid phase. It mixes smoothly with no clumping and no nasty aftertaste. They have vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, unflavored. Also for the times you just can't stomach sweet anymore, they have a chicken Soup flavor. I find I am using more of the unflavored though. I mix it with low fat milk and use the sugar free flavored syrups for more variety. I add the chicken soup flavor to my cream of chicken soup to get a little more intense chicken flavor.

I heard of them and ordered the unflavored and the chicken Soup. I really like the rtd premier drinks I get at costco and Sam's club. I like the ones at same club because they have the reclosable lids but Costco sometimes has theirs on sale and I stock up. I lost 50 lbs with diet and exercise but my body refused to let anymore weight go. I cannot wait to be on the losers bench

You will get there. My surgery was 6/10. I lost 10 lbs on the liver shrink diet prior to surgery, and have lost 7.5 since surgery. And I must admit, it feels really good to be on the losers bench! Can't wait to welcome you to the bench.

A quick note about the chicken Soup flavor. Since you can only heat it to 140, I've found it tastes a little off by the time you get to the bottom of the 8 ounces as it starts to cool. I've had better luck using it to enhance the chicken flavor in other foods. 1/2 c Cream of chicken soup with 1/2 scoop is really good, as is 1/2 c low sodium V8 with 1/2 scoop.

Luckily my Doc told me I could have anything that I could purée to baby food consistency coming home from the hospital. I had worried about being on the full liquids for the two weeks post op. I kept wondering how I was going to make it for 2 weeks, but it's gone by relatively fast. I think knowing that if I wanted to have something else off the "mushy" list that I can purée has helped get me through. It's a head thing at this point, because I literally have to set an alarm to remind myself to eat because I am not hungry.