Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am scheduled for surgery on July 10th. I am excited but very nervous and even a bit scared. Even though I have done all requirements for surgery and lots of research and read tons of information on this surgery I still have many questions. So I wanted to ask those who are going to have the actusl and true answers since you have experienced this surgery.

Would you do it again knowing all you know and what you have experienced? I know first few weeks liquids and protien shakes but can you eat real food again? What are biggest highs and what are worse things? Can you drink alcohol again once recovered and havre been on this new journey for awhile?

Thank you for any knowedge and support. I need some friends who are or have gone through same thingI am going to do.

Would you do it again knowing all you know and what you have experienced?

I would go through it again in a second if I had to. It was a big hassle getting all the approvals and it was painful that 1st week post-op, but I have no regrets.

I know first few weeks liquids and protien shakes but can you eat real food again?

I was eating real solid food at 30 days post-op. Just not much, which I was very very happy about. I was eating about 1/4 cup of real food per meal. Mainly turkey hamburger and chicken and refried Beans - my diet is pretty simple. Vegetables and fruits took much longer to get re-accustomed to - around month 6 I was able to add them back into my diet. By month 9, I could eat anything I wanted with little to no grumbling from Frankensleeve. :-)

What are biggest highs and what are worse things?

The biggest highs for me were being in control of how much I could eat and seeing the weigh fall off so quickly (about 15 lbs a month). The worst thing was that 1st week post-op, getting all that gas out of my body was painful and having to sleep propped up (I am a side sleeper and couldn't lay flat for about 10 days).

Can you drink alcohol again once recovered and havre been on this new journey for awhile?

I tried a beer at 6 months, sipped it slowly and had no problems. I'm not much of a drinker anyway, but I occasionally have tequila mixed with my Crystal Light lemonade. I'm a cheap drunk now! 2 shots of tequila and I'm done! :-P

Hi I do not regret having my surgery and I would do it all over again I am 3 weeks post opt and my health has greatly approved I was a diabetic type 2 and no longer on any diabetic medications and I was taking 6 shots a day of insulin, I am off high cholesterol medication and I am only taking a half pill my blood pressure medication and will be off that soon. The first couple of days were rough with the gas but after the gas came out I was feeling great with the exception of a back pain that lasted a week. I have lost almost 40 pounds at 3 weeks post opt and I am looking toward more weight lost. Good luck.

That is great. I just have not shared with many friends and family as when in past even mentioned weight loss surgery many non supporters.

Hi I do not regret having my surgery and I would do it all over again I am 3 weeks post opt and my health has greatly approved I was a diabetic type 2 and no longer on any diabetic medications and I was taking 6 shots a day of insulin, I am off high cholesterol medication and I am only taking a half pill my blood pressure medication and will be off that soon. The first couple of days were rough with the gas but after the gas came out I was feeling great with the exception of a back pain that lasted a week. I have lost almost 40 pounds at 3 weeks post opt and I am looking toward more weight lost. Good luck.

I am 6 months out and I would definitely do it again. The high points are too many to list...I can shop in regular stores for clothes. I feel fabulous, not only from the weight loss, but from eating so much healthier. I feel more confident out in public. The best part is I know I don't have to worry about ever being on a diet again.

The low point is probably the C. diff infection I got 6 weeks postop. This wasn't a direct surgery related complication (got it from antibiotics I took for a tooth infection) but not being able to drink a lot because of my tiny sleeve complicated things a bit. I had severe diarrhea, so I got dehydrated and needed IV fluids 3 times. As for the preop and post op diet restrictions, I really didn't have a problem with any of it. It's just part of the process and if you really want it, the tiny sacrifice of a liquid diet for a month or so shouldnt be a big deal. My surgery experience was great...it was like being on vacation with my sister and I really had no postop pain.

After about 4 months, I could eat anything I want and I do. I get hungry and eat every 3-4 hours. I make good choices, go for Protein and veggies first and drink lots of Water. I avoid carbs and processed food, but I have had ice cream, deserts, chips and alcohol on occasion. The only thing I've given up for good is carbonated beverages. Anything else is fair game as far as I'm concerned. I don't track or measure anything so I have no idea what my carb/calorie/protein intakes are. I take my Vitamins and I do still have one big Protein Drink (24-32oz / 30-40g protein) everyday so I don't have to think about hitting Fluid and Protein goals. I have at least 7 different Protein shakes in my house and along with Torani syrups, I never get bored with the flavors.

Good luck. Remember, this really is all about attitude and you will be successful and happy if you keep your eye on the end goal and don't get wallowed down on all the little things that come along.

So glad to here, just getting nervous. Glad you are doing well, would love to chat anytime

Thank you for all this knowledge, I am exicted but so scared. The whole removing most of yur stomach keeps freaking me out. Would love to chat more please stay in touch

/

Sotobee anytime my friend.

Thank you for all this knowledge, I am exicted but so scared. The whole removing most of yur stomach keeps freaking me out. Would love to chat more please stay in touch

/

How are you doing on your pre-op diet? I'm also scheduled for July 10th.

Hi I am scheduled for surgery on July 10th. I am excited but very nervous and even a bit scared. Even though I have done all requirements for surgery and lots of research and read tons of information on this surgery I still have many questions. So I wanted to ask those who are going to have the actusl and true answers since you have experienced this surgery. Would you do it again knowing all you know and what you have experienced? I know first few weeks liquids and protien shakes but can you eat real food again? What are biggest highs and what are worse things? Can you drink alcohol again once recovered and havre been on this new journey for awhile? Thank you for any knowedge and support. I need some friends who are or have gone through same thingI am going to do.

Would you do it again knowing all you know and what you have experienced? Yes , just I wish I did this back in October when my dr first suggested it. I am am a lapband to sleeve revision.

I know first few weeks liquids and protien shakes but can you eat real food again? I'm only 2 weeks out and eat normal soft foods. I can't wait to get back to other normal foods.

What are biggest highs and what are worse things? Worst for me is Protein shakes. I'm having such a hard time as they all seem to sweet for me. Crazy to think since I have a big sweet tooth. Also trying to get in the 1000 calories my Dr wants me to when I'm not hungry so I have to force my self to eat something at times. And the biggest high is hearing everyone at work say they can see changes already so it makes it worth it. (Down 22 lbs since surgery on 6/18).

Can you drink alcohol again once recovered and havre been on this new journey for awhile? I hope so even though I'm not a big drinker but do enjoy one here and there especially holiday time.

I'm glad I read this post. My surgery is coming up 11.10.14 and I'm excited and nervous. This made me feel better